PDA

View Full Version : Reasons FSX Users Go To P3D

stovall
February 17th, 2015, 10:15
This is a follow up to the "I have become a believer...P3D is the way forward!" thread. Ever since Prepar3D came out I have flown both FSX and P3D. This is primarily because many of my addons didn't work in P3D. This over time has become less of an issue. Lockheed Martin was attempting to make the sim flow smoother in several ways. For me early on the lack of stutters in P3D was a feature that attracted me. For me to get things started in this thread the following features in P3D v2.5 have got my attention.

1. The lack of stutters was noticeable right away.
2. The fix for the dark appearance has changed the appearance dramatically
3. The fantastic lighting features far out shines FSX.
4. After limited testing I believe that SBuilderX 314 64bit works very well in P3D v2.5. (There were multiple issues with 314)

Surely there are those who will add to this list. For me this is the way forward and will probably see me uninstall FSX.

d0mokun
February 17th, 2015, 10:49
Graphics are a key part of the reasoning behind my interest in P3D. A few real-world clients use the platform too, so that helps.

It definitely has the potential to make things pretty!

I've found FSX:SE to be better in terms of FPS, smoothness etc, though.

Dan

Navy Chief
February 17th, 2015, 11:19
The main problem I am running into, however, is there are some addons that will NOT install to P3D, i.e. some Just Flight and Flight 1 aircraft. Specifically, the DC-9. I have the Coolsky AND the Sky Simulations model. Neither one is planned for updating for use in P3D. About the only chance I have of installing them is through the Migration Tool. Have only used it once though. Been a long time. NC

TheFamilyMan
February 17th, 2015, 11:48
Just to add a point of view:

That stinkin' licensing. I feel completely comfortable with the terms of their professional license, but definitely not its price. As for their educational license, sure I can lie to LM about being an educator or a college/grade school student (and LM doesn't seem to care), but for me not being truthful in any situations is not acceptable - period! Please don't attempt to persuade me otherwise; for me words in an agreement mean with they say.
I'm very happy with my FSX experience. Stutters, of any sort, are very rare and in most of my flights are completely non-existent. With DX10 and DSR my image quality is completely excellent. Contrast/darkness issues I've solved by adjusting the gamma setting of my display. I admit that I'm envious of P3D's cloud and tree shadows (though these features if more that modestly enabled choke the mightiest of GPUs), but for now I find the price of entry, i.e. money and the hassles, not worth that luxury.

This is not to say I'll never be a P3D user...if only I can justify that $200 is worth it for those shadows.

gray eagle
February 17th, 2015, 11:53
The main problem I am running into, however, is there are some addons that will NOT install to P3D, i.e. some Just Flight and Flight 1 aircraft. Specifically, the DC-9. I have the Coolsky AND the Sky Simulations model. Neither one is planned for updating for use in P3D. About the only chance I have of installing them is through the Migration Tool. Have only used it once though. Been a long time. NC

All this reminds me of when FSX was the new kid on the block and how I remember these same growing pains when going from FS9 to FSX.
I still have and remember the very first flightsim for DOS.I still have the 5 1/4 floppy and book and the only place to fly was Miegs field in a cessna. That was for my Tandy 1000.
My, how times have changed.......:adoration:

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/photos/tandy_1000_1s.jpg

Rudyjo
February 17th, 2015, 12:06
There are those of us who have thought about going over to P3D, but don't want the hassle of re-installing everything.
What I would like to see is a software program that would transfer files from FSX to P3D.
There are those who are experts at moving files around and know what needs to be done, then there are those like me who would just get frustrated with it and just go back to FSX.

airattackimages
February 17th, 2015, 12:08
I'm pretty sure there is a migration tool, I've seen it mentioned.

falcon409
February 17th, 2015, 12:24
I use the Migration tool quite a bit if I'm installing FSX payware into P3D. Once it's activated it will set a "virtual FSX setup" that automatically redirects all installations to your P3D folder. I do know I had a few problems with it while I still had FSX installed, but they were minor and pretty rare. It's worth the money to have it though if you intend to install FSX "Native" payware.

falcon409
February 17th, 2015, 12:25
I'm pretty sure there is a migration tool, I've seen it mentioned.
Yes "EMT", Estonia Migration Tool.

falcon409
February 17th, 2015, 12:30
Just to add a point of view:

That stinkin' licensing. I feel completely comfortable with the terms of their professional license, but definitely not its price. As for their educational license, sure I can lie to LM about being an educator or a college/grade school student (and LM doesn't seem to care), but for me not being truthful in any situations is not acceptable - period! Please don't attempt to persuade me otherwise; for me words in an agreement mean with they say.
I'm very happy with my FSX experience. Stutters, of any sort, are very rare and in most of my flights are completely non-existent. With DX10 and DSR my image quality is completely excellent. Contrast/darkness issues I've solved by adjusting the gamma setting of my display. I admit that I'm envious of P3D's cloud and tree shadows (though these features if more that modestly enabled choke the mightiest of GPUs), but for now I find the price of entry, i.e. money and the hassles, not worth that luxury.

This is not to say I'll never be a P3D user...if only I can justify that $200 is worth it for those shadows.
I certainly understand your position. . .that's your choice and so any conversation would be futile. I will say though that while I can't really speak for all involved, I would guess very few have paid that much, but if that were to be the going price, we probably wouldn't have a P3D Forum.

Rudyjo
February 17th, 2015, 13:52
Thanks for the information on the "Estonia Migration Tool". I guess you have to make sure it works on the latest version of P3D?
I'll see what I can find out about it on Google.

Mach3DS
February 17th, 2015, 14:00
I certainly understand your position. . .that's your choice and so any conversation would be futile. I will say though that while I can't really speak for all involved, I would guess very few have paid that much, but if that were to be the going price, we probably wouldn't have a P3D Forum.

I believe LM has a flow chart or decision tree for determining what version is the correct one to purchase for you. Unfortunately their site is down. However, most single users simply would not ethically or honestly qualify for the professional version either. LM I'd imagine, also wants to maintain an ethical business practice, so sales of the correct product to the right client are as important to them as is being honest and ethical to you or I. You may want to read through what those qualifications are again once their site is back up. Each product is designed for a specific group, with the "Academic" product being very broad in terms of definition on purpose in order for as many people to have access to the software and not violate whatever agreements they made with MS. Certainly, I would never try to persuade someone from keeping their standards. Worth a second read through...

Naismith
February 17th, 2015, 15:10
Finally I think I am hooked, the only down for me atm is the lack of the FSX interface which is much friendlier imo. I anxiously await the next version of SimLauncher. Oh, and FTX pulling their finger out.

warchild
February 17th, 2015, 15:40
With over 2000 free and payware aircraft i can certainly appreciate why someone would look towards P3D. I did.. Its logical and reasonable.. The license sucks, but go too your community college and enroll in a 3D art class.. Now your a student.. get a free 3year license on 3ds max from autodesk, and now your a dev. that costs 9.95 a month. Quite a bit better than 200 dollars..

I know i sound flippant and I apologize for that.. truth P3D/ESP is still ten year old technology and they havent really improved it since the rrelease of FSX. The 3rd party devs have done the lions share of improving the sim. We owe them a lot because theyve done magnificiently. However, bottom line is that its still ten year old technology. FSX/SE is a last dying gasp at making a little more money off possible new players before it sort of drifts in limbo.. At least thats my opinion if you can bear with me on that..

I currently have FSX and P3D on my machine.. I dont fly either of them. Yes i know thats wasting ten bucks a month on licensing, but i still think its worth it.. What ive been flying however, is one you guys dont want too know about. Its the one Aerosoft switched too supporting instead of continuing its own development, and its supported by several familiar companies including carenado, Just Flight, and I think alabeo. Its been 64 bit for ten years, is used by boeing nasa and others for design research and is all around a fantastic sim. But I have friends here and i'd like too keep them so i wont mention what it is.. Still, if you should stumble across it, its a whole lot less expensive than lockheed, flies in a more pilot involved way ( i will not say better. But it is more challenging ) and most aircraft are fairly inexpensive..
I simply dont see a reason why people should draw lines and insist it has to be this sim or that sim. theyre all wonderful in their own ways..

txnetcop
February 17th, 2015, 16:21
I currently have FSX and P3D on my machine.. I dont fly either of them. Yes i know thats wasting ten bucks a month on licensing, but i still think its worth it.. What ive been flying however, is one you guys dont want too know about. Its the one Aerosoft switched too supporting instead of continuing its own development, and its supported by several familiar companies including carenado, flight sim, and I think alabeo. Its been 64 bit for ten years, is used by boeing nasa and others for design research and is all around a fantastic sim. But I have friends here and i'd like too keep them so i wont mention what it is.. Still, if you should stumble across it, its a whole lot less expensive than lockheed, flies in a more pilot involved way ( i will not say better. But it is more challenging ) and most aircraft are fairly inexpensive..
I simply dont see a reason why people should draw lines and insist it has to be this sim or that sim. theyre all wonderful in their own ways..

I fly FSX a bunch but I am learning to love BRAND X as Pam does. It is 64 bit, very powerful, very accurate, a BITC$ to setup but once done is awesome, has active company ongoing development, very smooth on my old reliable but fast 4.5 GHz LGA 775 system, and I don't have to lie to license it. Go get 'em Pam!:applause::applause::applause: I do believe that P3D is light at the end of the tunnel for FSX users who just cannot stomach the idea of BRAND X, but they really should try it before they decide to hate it. Besides you can buy 10.3 for $25 if you look around.
Ted

warchild
February 17th, 2015, 19:45
I fly FSX a bunch but I am learning to love BRAND X as Pam does. It is 64 bit, very powerful, very accurate, a BITC$ to setup but once done is awesome, has active company ongoing development, very smooth on my old reliable but fast 4.5 GHz LGA 775 system, and I don't have to lie to license it. Go get 'em Pam!:applause::applause::applause: I do believe that P3D is light at the end of the tunnel for FSX users who just cannot stomach the idea of BRAND X, but they really should try it before they decide to hate it. Besides you can buy 10.3 for $25 if you look around.
Ted

Should i have mentioned the free versions for IOS and Android?? Should I mention that you can start a flight on your PC, transfer it too your phone and continue that flight as you drive across town then finish the flight on your work PC?? Oh well.. guess I didnt..

Yes please. try my hamburgers. theyre different than the hamburgers down the street. We cook them differently and use different spices that some say are higher quality and they taste really great.. really..

hairyspin
February 17th, 2015, 22:19
... you can start a flight on your PC, transfer it too your phone and continue that flight as you drive across town...

Please tell me I'm misreading this: our traffic police take a dim enough view of using a phone at the wheel as it is. Not to mention how long my job would last if work time becomes flightsim time. Reality check?

warchild
February 18th, 2015, 02:17
Please tell me I'm misreading this: our traffic police take a dim enough view of using a phone at the wheel as it is. Not to mention how long my job would last if work time becomes flightsim time. Reality check?

I take a dim view of it as well, but ::chuckles:: it was merely meant as a demostration of the capabilities. I was not intended as an endorsement or my approval of doing anything other than driving while your driving. However, if you ride with someone else who is driving, then its a different story..

Christoph_T
February 18th, 2015, 03:44
Since autumn last year I uninstalled FSX for the last time. Since than I am using P3Dv2 and never realy looked back. One major point, that lets me favor Prepare is that Lockheed Martin is very active in improving the simulator and they know how important the community is, that supports them in making the sim as good as possible. Something that we didn't have under Microsoft.
What I am missing is the Tackpack from VRS. But as we all know, they will bring it to Prepare. So its only a break in which I have to live without airrefueling. But the missing of this addon made me enjoy other add-ons, that I hadn't used much before, even more. For example I now like to fly with little props low and slow over the landscape which is awesome with the visual possibilities of P3D.
One thing that I am worried about, is the point of the coming 64Bit conversion. On the one hand it should give us many improvments in terms of the overall performance. But course of the fact that many things will be not compatible with P3Dv3, it will be very expensive for us to pay for all these updates.
But this future is some steps forward. Now I am enjoying the sim at it is!

Christoph

GaryGB
February 18th, 2015, 04:48
Ted

I'm confused as to which flight simulator is being alluded to here... would you please "eXplain" this ? :untroubled:

TeiscoDelRay
February 18th, 2015, 05:36
I know but I cannot find it at the quoted 25 bucks.

ryanbatc
February 18th, 2015, 05:43
I have the same stutters in P3D , and fps are less

still it's got some great eye candy and I use it, along with FSX and XP10

falcon409
February 18th, 2015, 05:46
I'm confused as to which flight simulator is being alluded to here... would you please "eXplain" this? :untroubled:
Tongue-in-cheek Gary? lol. . .I assume they are eluding to X-Plane? I've never given that one any serious consideration really, rather just looking at it as so much dust in the wind. I do know that more and more scenery and aircraft are showing up in flightsim.com every day for "X-Plane" and some of it looks pretty nice. Anyway. . .back to the "real" flight Simulators!!

TeiscoDelRay
February 18th, 2015, 05:51
I did not realize Nvidia does not yet have an sli profile for P3D. This alone would make me pass on this sim.

hschuit
February 18th, 2015, 06:02
I did not realize Nvidia does not yet have an sli profile for P3D. This alone would make me pass on this sim.

That is not the only issue with the NVidia drivers, many people complain about the poor anti aliasing and VSynch tearing.
NVidia Inspector AA enhancements do not work except SGSS which is a serious performance killer. Many people like myself are using DSR mode to reduce the jaggies but it is still less good than FSX with NVidia Inspector AA enhancements.
The 1/2x refresh rate VSynch enhancement which does miracles in FSX does not work either because P3D can only run in windowed modes (!)

txnetcop
February 18th, 2015, 07:52
X-Plane 10
http://www.microcenter.com/product/404606/X-Plane_10_(PC)$29.99

As far as X-plane being a real simulator it is used by the Navy and Air Force trainers. It is used at Embraer to train pilots, it used by Airbus, it is used by every major ATF and GA training facility. So which is the REAL simulator?

zswobbie1
February 18th, 2015, 08:38
Professional Sim builders, such as RedBird, Frasca & others that can be found on the Prepar3d site will show that P3D is used in Very professional training devices.
(I can see that X-Perts are going to say that theirs is the best, as the PM-- guys are saying)
Turf wars? lol..

Anyhow, the very best thing by going to FSX:SE & not P3D, for me, is that now on my PC, I can use that automatic coffee cup holder that pops out at the touch of a button, plus I have a few shiney mug hiolders for my guests.

warchild
February 18th, 2015, 11:35
Professional Sim builders, such as RedBird, Frasca & others that can be found on the Prepar3d site will show that P3D is used in Very professional training devices.
(I can see that X-Perts are going to say that theirs is the best, as the PM-- guys are saying)
Turf wars? lol..

Anyhow, the very best thing by going to FSX:SE & not P3D, for me, is that now on my PC, I can use that automatic coffee cup holder that pops out at the touch of a button, plus I have a few shiney mug hiolders for my guests.

Where in Wells little acre did i or anyone here ever say X-Plane is best?? I Squarely put the blame for that attitude on years of snobbish X-Plane enthusiasts playing some strange game of one ups-manship, which is just plain bull in my eyes.. Your accusing us, long standing members of this forum and community, and your friends of this type of trite behaviour (?) then turning right around and and without any knowledge of the sim whatsoever, declaring that this little game created because Bill Gates wanted to fly his cessna on a PC is the real simulator?? People are blaming Txnetcop and I for the very behaviour they are displaying..

Real simulator indeed.. NONE of them are real, unless licensed by the FAA. One version of X-Plane has that licensing but what you and I fly isnt it. Stand alone, Xplane does not meet the criteria for being a professional ( real ) simulator. The FAA has some very stringent rules about that. None of our flight simulators do. You can spend 20 bucks or so to get the device to unlock all the pro stuff X-Plane has in it, including the ability to drive real avionics instrumentation like the G-1000 ( and then you get to spend the money on that real instrumentation ) but whats in the box is for entertainment only.

However, I will say this much. X-Plane utilizes what is called Blade Element theory to determine an aircrafts flight characteristics. Blade Element theory has been found to be very accurate when used in the design of new air and space craft. Now heres the thing. The companies that are using X-Plane to design aircraft and the aircraft designed with it, are the very companies and aircraft you are flying in FSX and P3D. Nasa, Boeing, Piper, Scaled Composites, Cessna. The list goes on. So in effect, whats being said here is that the very aircraft you fly, cant be real aircraft, because the companies that designed and built them are using a piece of software you deem to not be real, and therefore these companies must be mmaking fake aircraft, like the 777, Diamond DA20, Piper Commanches whatever..
I reiterate. X-Plane is not better than FSX or P-3d. Its different. Its a whole new simming experience. It IS lovely, but FSX and P3D have become lovely also. It deserves a critical look instead of being tossed aside like some ( pick your racial slur ) at the back of the bus. I figure if Nasa Boeing and Cessna use it, it has to be doing something right.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19781&stc=1

zswobbie1
February 18th, 2015, 21:38
Warchild, I agree..
I was doing a search for Frasca, as we got one donated to our VA club, & I saw a refurbished unit, using P3D, going for $60,000.00. This is certified as a training device. In 1992, our Air Force here in South Africa, recieved 3 of these, configured as AT-6 Texan/Harvard trainers. They were nicknamed 'Tom, Dick & Harry'. We got Tom & are in the process of getting it up & running.

davido53
February 19th, 2015, 05:23
I went to P3D when my install of FSX stopped responding. I think it was FSTramp that destroyed it. Anyway, I also bought FSX:SE.

I would not have gone to P3D if my FSX hadn't gone tits up. I could use that $60 for something else.

However, I am enjoying P3D now as the graphics are really stunning (of course, I had to upgrade my nVidia card, which cost me another $100 so I could do DX11).

I tried Xplane but it looks godawful and I hated the controls. I envy these guys who seem to make it work...not me, though.

warchild
February 19th, 2015, 11:32
Davido
it USED to look godawful.. I bought XP v8 some time ago. Worst purchase i ever made. Fortunately the CD's it came on mercifully disappeared some time ago. XpX like FSX is a game changer.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19810&stc=1

I'm a hundred feet off the deck there in an aircraft designed and built for XPv7. Thats like flying a plane from fs2002 in fsx and we all know how those look. Middle sister ( the mountain which is local too me ) speaks for itself. Theres about a half a mile maybe three quarters too the summit from where i'm at there.
VC's and aircraft??
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19812&stc=1
X-plane has come a very very long way. It's gobsmackingly gorgeous now. And controls can be set up to mimic your FSX controls with ease. However, no, its not as easy to fly in as FSX or P3D. Like i said, somewhere, I never get a chance too step outside and admitre the scenery or the plane. I'm way too busy flying it. X-Plane i'm afraid wasnt originally designed for the casual V-Pilot. It was designed for the real world pilots to pursue their PPL, or train for type re-certification. Therefore its back end can be a little complex as it offers the instructor a very wide range of situations that can be programmed into a flight by the click of a button. Theyve only recently in the last five years started making a product for entertainment. So they're new at entertaining us, but theyve been around just a few years less than MSFS.
P3D is kinda going the opposite direction, or rather Lockheed has. Theyve taken a game designed for entertainment and are making professional trainers out of it. Thats been their intent all along and theyve stated it clearly on their home page from the very beginning. That they are achieving it is too me, amazing.
I just wish we could drop the walls. We are all V-Pilots here. Some of us are real pilots here. We all fly. We all love aircraft and flying. It doesnt natter if its fsx, P3D XpX, DCS, or some other program. I cant stand the net wide attitudes of "I cant talk too you or listen too you because your flight sim is evil"..
I've been flying in Japan Mostly. Touring around from Yokohama to Matsuyama and back up too Akita on the west coast. Its been wonderful. The scenery is incredible, and the updrafts off the mountains keep it challenging. I've approached Bear North with the idea of Building scenery for Matsuyama Castle and the Zen Gardens. They have their hands full right now but they did sound quite interested. I have hopes..
OH.. XPX ATC SUX!!.. Its as bad as the ATC in FSX.. I wont use it.. its horrible..

As for XPX, yeahh, theres tons of videos just like FSX and P3D that you can look at too see if you like it now or not or even just check up on the changes since its going to remain in constant development and keep improving. But for gods sakes can we please drop the walls?? The only reason to seperate FSX from XPlane and the two of them from P3D is because of addons. Outside of that its like the differences between chocolate Ice cream, vanilla ice cream and rocky road. They're ALL ice cream and they ALL taste great.

davido53
February 19th, 2015, 18:42
I'll have to check some youtube videos for xplane. I've always liked the idea of the aerodynamics of it. I am certainly not a fanboy for any sim, just preferences for different things. If I want to use weapons, I'd always go for IL-2 over TacPack, for instance. I would have stuck with FSX if I could have gotten it to work.

txnetcop
February 19th, 2015, 20:23
Davido53 X-Plane 10.3 Global 64 bit now at STEAM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/292180/

Ted