PDA

View Full Version : DX10 for XP. Got it working, but a question.

Navy Chief
January 27th, 2009, 17:24
I got DX10 for XP working in FSX now. I actually like it, but only thing I can see wrong now, is for some reason the Anti Collision Light is not working on my aircraft. None, that I can see.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

NC

datter
January 27th, 2009, 17:37
Can't help with your troubles, but can I ask how you got Dx10 working in XP and what it did to your frame rates?

Dangerousdave26
January 27th, 2009, 17:47
Go here and look at this thread http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=8862

Read all of the posts before trying to do it

It maybe the last thing you do before you need to reformat.

Honestly I suggest not doing it at all.

harleyman
January 27th, 2009, 18:17
I too have heard that its a big bust..More known for the problems it causes,than its use...

Wozza
January 27th, 2009, 18:50
I got DX10 for XP working in FSX now. I actually like it, but only thing I can see wrong now, is for some reason the Anti Collision Light is not working on my aircraft. None, that I can see.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

NC
I pretty sure its a FSX/dx10 issue with some video cards or drivers
Cheers
Wozza

Bjoern
January 28th, 2009, 03:25
It maybe the last thing you do before you need to reformat.

All you do is drop some nonessential .dll files in your system32 folder (which can easily be removed again), so why the need to reformat?

Windows itself doesn't depend on DirectX, it's only applications using DirectX for rendering which will hiccup.

Removing those .dlls again should be everything that's necessary.

Quixoticish
January 28th, 2009, 04:12
All you do is drop some nonessential .dll files in your system32 folder (which can easily be removed again), so why the need to reformat?

Windows itself doesn't depend on DirectX, it's only applications using DirectX for rendering which will hiccup.

I'd hedge my bets and say there is more to it than that, and this is one of the reasons why uninstalling DirectX has never been officially supported and is rather hit and miss with third party applications.

Dangerousdave26
January 28th, 2009, 05:49

:wavey:Thats a very good question and one that deserves some thought in the answer. So I will make them Random, Long, and completely unconnected... Christopher Walkin / Bob and Tom Show :costumes:

The statement was kind of off the cuff if you will. Meaning that it implies it could go horribly wrong. :faint:In order for it to go horribly wrong it would need some more action and bad luck on the users side.

Myself its a been there done that kind of thing. One might say over and over Live and learn.

While part of the install is to copy .dll files that is only part of it. You must also download and install DirectX 10 RC2 Fix 1 and DirectX 10 RC2 Fix 3...
I do not see a Fix 2 and Fix 1 and three are out of order being Fix 3 is listed before Fix 1. ?? Your guess is as good as mine. http://www.techmixer.com/pic/2008/12/download-directx10-xp-installer.jpg

Since this is an installer it will be writing changes to your registry. Keep in mind you more than likely have DX9c at this point. In order for your PC to use DX10 you must tell it that DX10 is installed that will only happen with Registry changes. You may also need to uninstall DX9c but that is only a guess. Windows will not utilize the .dll files you copied until it has instructions to.

Another Key thing to remember is if you don't have DX10 compatible hardware you don't have the drivers installed to use DX10 and it surely will mess up your system. Scroll down threw and read all of the posts here (http://www.techmixer.com/download-directx-10-for-windows-xp/).

To quote another Outhouse member...

I don't know...
It looks like a cludge... some .dll files to be shoehorned into XP, but the telling thing from my point of view is that the first reply to the site was in June 2007 and less than a year later (May 26, 2008) there was a post to this effect:

“It is with great sadness that I announce the closing of Falling Leaf Systems, LLC. We set out over a year ago to provide users of both “old and unsupported” as well as “alternative” Operating Systems the ability to run the latest games for the PC. Unfortunately, Falling Leaf Systems was unable to achieve that goal.”

IMHO, Reading the more intelligent replys on the thread it seemed like a pain, a risk, and mostly unsuccessful.

As with most 'tweaks" and add-ons, be sure you know what you're doing first and then make sure you know how to fix it if...

Rob

As noted below in a link to another thread here at the Outhouse uninstalling may not solve the problems created by installing it.

While formatting maybe a very strong word at the least you are going to have to remove the registry entries that were entered into your system by the installer. Manually editing your registry is one of the more dangerous things you can do to your PC. After manually editing the registry you will most likely need to install DX9c again.

It is this kind of install/uninstall action that can botch your system. Technically if you know enough you can fix the problem (it is always in the registry keep digging some thing will happen) however many people lack that skill or training. The next step if you could not edit out the registry is to use a restore point but if that failed or gave undesired results... IE going back too far (actually happened to a friend of mine went clear back to the beginning day one). You would end up with a need to possibly reformat. Unless you did go back to the beginning then it would be the worlds fastest reformat. :icon_lol:

See this thread here. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=8986

The last statement in that thread seems to sum it up pretty good.

Even the developers of that so-called "DX10 for WinXP" finally admitted their complete failure some months ago... :gossip:

However I encourage you to not take my word as Gospel feel free to experiment yourself. :wave: It is only by doing these things that you find out how much work is involved.

Bjoern
January 28th, 2009, 08:59
I'd hedge my bets and say there is more to it than that, and this is one of the reasons why uninstalling DirectX has never been officially supported and is rather hit and miss with third party applications.

Well, why would you want to uninstall DirectX anyways?

No DirectX, no gaming.

Myself its a been there done that kind of thing. One might say over and over Live and learn.

Don't worry, you're not alone. Can't recall how often I've murdered my Windows installations.
Fortunately, I'm also a fairly good medic. :d

Alright, let me have a hit at it.

If you update your DirectX, do you see a seperate entry for DirectX 10 on Microsoft's homepage?
No.
Why? Well, if you obtain your DirectX via a redistibutable file (all files in one archive; no internet connection required for the installation) and not via Windows Update or the DirectX web installer, you will notice that this archive includes DX9c *and* DX10 files.
I'm pretty sure the installer determines your windows version (XP, Vista) and only installs those DirectX files appropriate, or rather MS-approved for your OS - DX9c for XP, DX9c and DX10 for Vista.

Now, all those developers have done so far is taking the DX10 files from the common DirectX redistributable package and putting it in their XP installation. I don't know how they got their hands on the registry entries for the new DirectX, but I guess they have either taken them from the DirectX installer or "reverse-engineered" them from a Vista installation.

Of course, there's always sources for errors. A missing .dll, a bugged registry entry and, mostly I guess, video drivers for XP not suitable for DX10 operation, because the developer left out DX10 support for a non-Vista driver.

All in all, DirectX is just a harmless dictionary making 3D applications and the video driver able to communicate with each other. Nothing more.
This is partially proven by the fact that you don't have to reboot your PC when you install DirectX. If you don't have to reboot, it can't be essential for Windows operation, now can it? ;)

I don't want to blackmail Microsoft, but as far as I'm concerned, DirectX 10 was nothing but a marketing argument for switching to Vista.

Kiwikat
January 28th, 2009, 09:04
I don't want to blackmail Microsoft, but as far as I'm concerned, DirectX 10 was nothing but a marketing argument for switching to Vista.

Remember, many other games greatly benefit from DX10. Flight Sim seems to be the minority here... because it wasn't actually made for DX10.

Dangerousdave26
January 28th, 2009, 09:08

I completely agree with that.

I would only update to DX10 if MS released it for XP not a third party. Then Nvidia would have to update drives for my 6600 (yah right).