PDA

View Full Version : I have become a believer... P3D is the way forward!

JensOle
February 15th, 2015, 04:00
I have become a believer, P3D is the way forward!
I got P3D V1 back when it arrived, but it never convinced me and I reverted back to FSX as my main sim. Not least was it all the addons and addon modules (REX, accu-feel, aicarrier etc) which made me stick with the old sim.
Having seen some of the reviews of P3D V2.5 about smoothness, sharpness, high fps, environmental effects like object lightning etc I decided to give it another try and I was blown away, it looks so much better straight out of the install that it is almost impossible to go back to FSX now… And most of all my old addon stuff is working just great in the new sim. Only really Tacpac which is missing, but that is coming soon from what I have read. The flight feeling is so much better than FSX, the difference was a lot bigger than I anticipated.
Only really the HDR lightning which may need a slight tweak and that was easily done in the HDR.hlsl file.

And as a Norwegian, Norway has never looked so good in a simulator. ORBX Norway and the flightsimnorway.com airport sceneries are a stunning combination.
Highly recommended!

Montie
February 15th, 2015, 04:06
I am with you JensOle, just installed V2.5, maxed it out and still a smooth experience. As soon as TacPak is ready for P3D I will likely make the final jump to P3D.

Hdguy
February 15th, 2015, 04:15
Looking into P3D now.. Thinking of getting the $10 a month deal today. Its the latest version of it and is a cheap way to have a look around.

What License's are others using ?

JensOle
February 15th, 2015, 04:17
The academic license. It is just so great, so smooth and looking so good!

Hdguy
February 15th, 2015, 04:22

Thanks for that.....

Montie
February 15th, 2015, 04:24

The same goes for me.

Dumonceau
February 15th, 2015, 04:34
Hold on! you installed ORBX/FTX? I thought an update for it was necessary?

I've ditched FSX altogether after years of tweaking and frustration. But I sorely miss my FTX Global, Norway and UK!

Cheers,

Johan

JensOle
February 15th, 2015, 04:36
ORBX stuff needs an update for working in V2.5, but you can still use it with a manual activation in the scenery menu (all their sceneries have ordinary folder structure, scenery, mesh etc) and Norway is working just great except for the roads and lc (I use the scenery, mesh and a freeware lc/road until the orbx program is updated).

REX, aicarrier and accu-feel works perfect just out of the box with V2.5

Dumonceau
February 15th, 2015, 05:11
Thanks Jens!!

Dumonceau
February 15th, 2015, 06:14
Tip for the FTX G users: If you copy the terrain.cfg.file from the program data folder to the root of p3D, the FTX Central will work. Afterwards you will have to copy it again to the program data folder of P3D.

Also, when booting P3D, you'll get a warning that the objectflow.dll generates an error, simply indicate that you do not want to run it..

Hope this helps us out while we wait for an update by ORBX!

Johan

JensOle
February 15th, 2015, 06:36
Sounds even smarter! Which terrain.cfg file is you using and if it is in p3d 2.5, where can I find it?

Dumonceau
February 15th, 2015, 06:44
Hi Jens,

The terrain.cfg file I'm using is located in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

Copy that to the root of P3d, let FTX central run, and then copy it back to C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

Cheers,

Johan

EDIT: make sure you have hidden folders unselected in the folder options!

stovall
February 15th, 2015, 06:57
Everything everyone is saying about P3D V2.5 is true. There is no doubt in my eyes this version is the best yet. I am considering complete conversion from FSX to P3D. I have used the technique of putting scenery.cfg and terrain.cfg back into the P3D folder to install most of my FTX/Orbx programs but for most it would be better to wait for the FTX Central and ObjectFlow updates. You can see a couple of my pics in the P3D forum under the P3D v2.5 is out thread. There are some comments about fixing the lighting there that have made me a believer. The pictures are with the lighting change. Enjoy!!

falcon409
February 15th, 2015, 08:53
. . . . .but you can still use it with a manual activation in the scenery menu (all their sceneries have ordinary folder structure, scenery, mesh etc) . . . . . . .
I had to do a reinstall of FTX Global and FTX Vector, and while the vector files were placed in the scenery library, the Global files were not. I was going to manually add them however when checking the folders in P3D I don't see anything except the Vector/LC folders. Where is all the Global/Base stuff located?

Navy Chief
February 15th, 2015, 09:48
Ok, that does it, I am downloading 2.5 now! Uninstalled 2.4, and looking forward to this! NC

Update: Ok, so my first attempt at downloading the update failed. Now beginning SECOND attempt. Grrr......:banghead:

Dumonceau
February 15th, 2015, 10:25
I had to do a reinstall of FTX Global and FTX Vector, and while the vector files were placed in the scenery library, the Global files were not. I was going to manually add them however when checking the folders in P3D I don't see anything except the Vector/LC folders. Where is all the Global/Base stuff located?

That is because the terrain.cfg now only resides in the program data folder of P3D Falcon. You'll have to copy it to the root of P3D and after having run FTX central, copy the file again to the program data folder.

It's a drag, I know, but at least you'll be able to enjoy FTX G until the patch for it comes out!

JensOle
February 15th, 2015, 10:40
Just did it for the Norway pack and it works great! Thanks for the advice! Now the entire package is working.

TuFun
February 15th, 2015, 18:54
I'm really impressed how it flies out of the box with my system! Thanks guys for the info in getting a temp fix on FTX stuff.

Jafo
February 15th, 2015, 19:30
Considering how 'high' my system specs are [now] I probably should be running this too...
...so have paid the dosh and am downloading [it'll take forever...Oz ISPs are crap].

If an i7 5960x with 32gig of DDR4, 4gig GTX980 card and the OS [and games] on a M.2 4x 'drive' in a M.2 4x socket can't handle it I'll go heave...;)
Of course...at 15 minutes [allegedly] per cab I'll be too old to run it when it gets here...;)

Mach3DS
February 15th, 2015, 19:39
Yes, P3Dv2.5+ is the way forward. I don't see any reason to switch to FSX:SE. In fact, if I were to look at the successes of both groups, LM will be committed to it for years and years to come because it is now in the simulation training arena. And there's no end in sight to it's real world application. Once Steam finds it no longer popular, it will cease updating. Plus, with v2.5 it's SUPER smooth! Almost everything maxed and it's running better than I've ever run FSX, and I've got all the goodies enabled that come along with P3D... :)

Cees Donker
February 15th, 2015, 20:21
Off you all go then, to the P3D forum! You're in the wrong place!

:a1310:

Cees

Jafo
February 15th, 2015, 21:00
Off you all go then go then, to the P3D forum! You're in the wrong place!

Cees
Not yet....still downloading...;)

Dumonceau
February 15th, 2015, 21:43
Off you all go then go then, to the P3D forum! You're in the wrong place!

Cees

We'll be waiting for you Cees! With cookies! :D

Johan

expat
February 16th, 2015, 01:31
Well I am still dithering after all this time. I have a fairly new, very high end rig that runs FSX smoothly and what stops me is facing all the up front installation time and bother with various port-over patches and fixes (FTX for example, among others).

Lazy? Yes, but I have very limited time for simming so want to be able to use the time I have flying. Not sure of the resulting gains being worth it. I do like the look of the cloud shadows in some screenies I have seen.

JensOle
February 16th, 2015, 08:07
For what it is worth to you, in my opinion the flight experience in P3D is so much better than even a good running FSX that there is no competition. Still after a decade the best PC rigs you can buy have problems with running FSX smoothly, that is a sign of the major graphic problems/issues we have had to face with FSX. P3D seems to be much more optimized and all over much nicer looking, but keeps all of the add ons. That is a very sweet deal for us simmers.

I installed P3D at lunch time and was up and running on an aprox 70% add-on capability by the early evening, most of the stuff I copied directly over and it worked just great. ORBX need the trick which has been mentioned above, but most other of the advanced add ons have installed with little or no problems. Just start with what you are currently flying the most and take the rest later when needed. For me right now I think it is only Tacpak which I miss, but the P3D version is rumored to land very soon.

modelr
February 16th, 2015, 08:23
I ended up downloading the individual files for the Academic version, after trying to download the "all-in-one" zip 4 times. After uninstalling V2.4, it installed seamlessly. First flight (default) was blown away. Will be reloading most stuff this coming weekend. No more FSX purchases for me. No dual load purchases such as A2A offers, either. P3Dv2 ONLY from now on!! Goodbye FSX!:jump::applause::a1310::applause:

Dumonceau
February 16th, 2015, 08:30
I ended up downloading the individual files for the Academic version, after trying to download the "all-in-one" zip 4 times. After uninstalling V2.4, it installed seamlessly. First flight (default) was blown away. Will be reloading most stuff this coming weekend. No more FSX purchases for me. No dual load purchases such as A2A offers, either. P3Dv2 ONLY from now on!! Goodbye FSX!:jump::applause::a1310::applause:

I agree wholeheartedly! FSX-Steam was a nice try, but it will never come close to P3D v2.x! And at least you don't have to go through steam, which I hate with a vengeance. The only reason it resides on my rig is called Cliffs of Dover...

Johan

SpaceWeevil
February 16th, 2015, 08:39
Well good luck to all you Professionals, Developers and (mostly) Academics - have fun.......nono, sorry, not fun, I didn't mean fun......

JensOle
February 16th, 2015, 10:29
Well, P3d actually cost less than many fs addons so it should be in easy reach for most I think as a natural evolution from FSX. That was the reason behind sharing my p3d experience so far. It is just to good to not tell the other people here at the soh.

mmann
February 16th, 2015, 10:57
At first I thought, doesn't P3D have its own forum here at SOH. Then I realized that it does have its own forum, but with P3D being such a limited market the post would probably not be noticed.

expat
February 16th, 2015, 12:17
Well, I think you all have finally sold me on it. Will have some spare time in a week or so and will convert myself then!

airattackimages
February 16th, 2015, 12:55
I'm waiting for the Superbug, and then I'll be making the leap. In the meantime, I refuse to torture myself by installing it and experiencing how awesome it is. lol

JensOle
February 16th, 2015, 14:31
Very much looking forward to the F-18F myself too which I understand will be in the next release. It looks much better than the E in my eyes...

Mach3DS
February 16th, 2015, 15:12
You may as well get it now if you can! ;) because you'll want to fine tune the settings to make it as smooth as butter before you install the Super Bug and TacPack...get acquainted with P3D's idiosyncrasies...then all you will have to do is install and fly!

Sundog
February 16th, 2015, 15:49
Once I can afford to build a new PC, I'll be making the move to P3D. I've been looking forward to being able to use it for some time now, as the whole "atmosphere" of it looks like it really adds to the immersion factor.

Katoun
February 16th, 2015, 15:58
As developers, we've been watching (very VERY closely) just how much of the market is P3Dv2. At this point, it looks like it is about 25% and rising steadily.

We have also watch the release of FSX Se with great interest. That one, however, isn't having such a big effect yet. Perhaps later but for now, it is looking like people mostly bought it to have a back up.

falcon409
February 16th, 2015, 16:18
At first I thought, doesn't P3D have its own forum here at SOH. Then I realized that it does have its own forum, but with P3D being such a limited market the post would probably not be noticed.
Many of us tend to post over here because it's more active. The P3D Forum is quiet because everyone is too busy flying in this amazing world to bother posting, lol.

TuFun
February 16th, 2015, 16:40
That is so true! I haven't time to do any work... to much not having fun! :biggrin-new: P3Dv2.5 did it to me this time around!

Hdguy
February 16th, 2015, 17:42
No joy on my end with P3D.. Low frames, stuttering, etc. Pulled most everything back a bit.. Nothing over 24 frames but a time or two at 34.. Nothing installed.. vanilla.

On the other hand, the new rig I built runs FSX much better than expected.. 30 frames pretty solid, fluid movement with high settings.

Just goes to show nothing is perfect...

Very glad I only purchased the 10 a month thing...

falcon409
February 16th, 2015, 18:29
If you're happy with what you see in FSX, then that's where you should stay.

CanadaKen
February 16th, 2015, 19:45
I bought P3D at v2.1. I have downloaded v2.5 but will wait another week or so before I install it.
By P3D v2.3 I was 95% P3D and 5% FSX. With v2.4 i am 100% P3D. It's the future and dealing with
LM vs MS has been a dream!

CK

Cees Donker
February 16th, 2015, 20:54
Many of us tend to post over here because it's more active. The P3D Forum is quiet because everyone is too busy flying in this amazing world to bother posting, lol.
Well, go on, make it a bit more active over there! This thread is out of place here. I want to read about FSX stuff here, not about P3D. Really mr. moderator, can you relocate this thread?

Cees

fsafranek
February 16th, 2015, 20:54
Jens-Ole, going back as long as we do I put a great deal of trust in your decisions. What OS are you running P3D on and where did you install it (path)?
:ernaehrung004:

Mach3DS
February 16th, 2015, 21:04
No joy on my end with P3D.. Low frames, stuttering, etc. Pulled most everything back a bit.. Nothing over 24 frames but a time or two at 34.. Nothing installed.. vanilla.

On the other hand, the new rig I built runs FSX much better than expected.. 30 frames pretty solid, fluid movement with high settings.

Just goes to show nothing is perfect...

Very glad I only purchased the 10 a month thing...

Remember that the sliders in P3D do not represent the same multiplication of settings as do the FSX counter parts. So increasing the sliders in P3D to where you think they should be based off of your previous FSX settings will actually get most into trouble. For most users who could get by with an adequate GFX card with FSX because the processor was a beast will find that they don't necessarily get the same performance out of P3D. Hardware Tessellation is a huge thing in P3D, in fact so much so that unless you do have a more robust gfx card you may in fact experience worse performance overall. Not sure what you have, but I would try again and work your way up slowly until you find a good balance between your CPU and GFX card for a smooth operation in P3D...once you do, it very rarely deviates from the FPS you are experiencing no matter the scenery etc. There is a "dance" so to speak...but it's new steps vs. FSX.

falcon409
February 16th, 2015, 21:44
Remember that the sliders in P3D do not represent the same multiplication of settings as do the FSX counter parts. So increasing the sliders in P3D to where you think they should be based off of your previous FSX settings will actually get most into trouble. For most users who could get by with an adequate GFX card with FSX because the processor was a beast will find that they don't necessarily get the same performance out of P3D. Hardware Tessellation is a huge thing in P3D, in fact so much so that unless you do have a more robust gfx card you may in fact experience worse performance overall. Not sure what you have, but I would try again and work your way up slowly until you find a good balance between your CPU and GFX card for a smooth operation in P3D...once you do, it very rarely deviates from the FPS you are experiencing no matter the scenery etc. There is a "dance" so to speak...but it's new steps vs. FSX.
Something else that maybe some first timers may not understand is that having "Tessellation" checked is a necessity. That moves all control of texture management to the GPU and removes it from the CPU. . .opening up the CPU to handle other functions in the sim. It's why a graphics card with at least 2gig is also a necessity. Anything less and your performance will likely suffer.

Jafo
February 16th, 2015, 22:25
Something else that maybe some first timers may not understand is that having "Tessellation" checked is a necessity. That moves all control of texture management to the GPU and removes it from the CPU. . .opening up the CPU to handle other functions in the sim. It's why a graphics card with at least 2gig is also a necessity. Anything less and your performance will likely suffer.
OK...so in theory I'll be fine...with a GTX980 ....the 16 'cores' of the 5960 can relax a bit...;)

Dumonceau
February 16th, 2015, 22:35

Indeed, that and untick bathymetry. If you don't plan on driving submarines, it is useless and it takes a big hit on performance.

But except for the fluidity and stability of the new sim, the lighting, shadowing and overall image sharpness are something that FSX will never have. Remember that LM got into this game for professional reasons: building a sim for the customers who also buy airplanes. So where FSX is just entertainment, P3D is a professional sim.

I'm awed though by the percentages that Katoun mentionned: 25% marketshare after such a short period is immense!

For those who might consider moving on to the darkest side, make sure your GFX card is DX11 compatible! And like Falcon says: 2Gb is an absolute minimum!

Johan

T6flyer
February 17th, 2015, 01:09
Personally, I'm going to stick with my FSX setup as have it the way that I want it, with photographic scenery and autogen of my home area, in which I fly in real life. I purchased an Academic license on behalf of the Museum at which I volunteer as there it would be an educational item on which to instruct budding pilots (young and old), but its not for me.

The Shadows are lovely, but I fear that my configuration as it stands won't transfer over or the aeroplanes that I fly wont be compatible etc and so will remain with the older simulator. This again, will probably be my last version of any kind, as am now getting back into the real thing and can't see any reason to upgrade as am perfectly happy with what I have.

For those that take their simulations seriously, I truly believe that this is the future.

Happy Landings,

Martin

DaveWG
February 17th, 2015, 03:56
I've been using P3dv2 since release. FSX is only still installed as TacPack isn't P3d ready yet. As soon as it is, then goodbye FSX.

Roger
February 17th, 2015, 05:01
Well, go on, make it a bit more active over there! This thread is out of place here. I want to read about FSX stuff here, not about P3D. Really mr. moderator, can you relocate this thread?

Cees

I think we can give them a little leeway Cees:mixed-smiley-010: It is interesting for some of us FsXers to see what it could become in the guise of P3D and after reading how relatively stable P3Dv2.5 is, I may opt to go that way myself in the not too distant future. I want and extra SSD and a 4 gig video card first though.

txnetcop
February 17th, 2015, 05:19
Hey if I could afford the equipment it takes to run P3D 2.5 I'd be there but SS and part time job just don't cut it when it comes to expanding into new vistas! Let's keep this thread it's nice to dream!:applause: I've got FSX running smooth as a baby's butt and X-Plane 10.3 on my old Gigabyte X48-DQ6 with a GTX 285 video card and almost full boat on options but if Lockheed stays the course P3D is the way to go.
Ted

falcon409
February 17th, 2015, 07:12
Hey if I could afford the equipment it takes to run P3D 2.5 I'd be there but SS and part time job just don't cut it when it comes to expanding into new vistas! Let's keep this thread it's nice to dream!:applause: I've got FSX running smooth as a baby's butt and X-Plane 10.3 on my old Gigabyte X48-DQ6 with a GTX 285 video card and almost full boat on options but if Lockheed stays the course P3D is the way to go.
Ted
As luck would have it, P3D and it's advancements come at a time when I'm winding down my enthusiasm for Flight Simming. What I have as a system is all I'll have for the future. Like txnetcop, SS and a small Military pension are all I have now and that doesn't allow for any expansion. . .ever. I have V2.5 installed but it looks no different than what I had with 2.4. Most of that is because as with FSX, at that time I had that sim running at it's peak based on my system. P3D has reached that mark for me as well. My system is running at it's best and any advancements/improvements are lost due to limitations in what my computer can reproduce. In all honesty I would do just as well to revert back to 2.4 and be happy with that. V2.5 and above will be for serious simmers or those who simply have the money to continue chasing the perfect sim. I'm no longer in that arena.

NickB
February 17th, 2015, 10:51
I had to work Christmas day (night shift actually) so my pay packet was a little larger than usual so I took the plunge and so far it seems pretty good. The only niggle so far is re-assigning all the keys to as close to my FSX set up as possible. Don't seem to be able to assign the rudder to my twist grip Saitek Cyborg Evo as it has the same axis as the throttle!

IanHenry
February 17th, 2015, 11:38
I had to work Christmas day (night shift actually) so my pay packet was a little larger than usual so I took the plunge and so far it seems pretty good. The only niggle so far is re-assigning all the keys to as close to my FSX set up as possible. Don't seem to be able to assign the rudder to my twist grip Saitek Cyborg Evo as it has the same axis as the throttle!

Why don't you just copy your control file from FSX to P3D?

Ian

TeiscoDelRay
February 17th, 2015, 11:49
Something strange going on with their website. I had trouble getting in there today (took two hours) and when I did get into the store and went to buy it I clicked on Cart and it took me to a website that said they were hacked or something to that effect.

Naismith
February 17th, 2015, 11:56
Something strange going on with their website. I had trouble getting in there today (took two hours) and when I did get into the store and went to buy it I clicked on Cart and it took me to a website that said they were hacked or something to that effect.

Yes I'm getting this

Hello world! (http://www.prepar3d.com/?p=1)February 17, 2015 (http://www.prepar3d.com/?p=1) byker1 (http://www.prepar3d.com/?author=1) 1 Comment (http://www.prepar3d.com/?p=1#comments)
Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!

Seems they have been hi-jacked or imploded or something. I dare say they will sort it out.

Dumonceau
February 18th, 2015, 00:40
Yes I'm getting this

Hello world! (http://www.prepar3d.com/?p=1)

February 17, 2015 (http://www.prepar3d.com/?p=1) byker1 (http://www.prepar3d.com/?author=1) 1 Comment (http://www.prepar3d.com/?p=1#comments)
Welcome to WordPress. This is your first post. Edit or delete it, then start blogging!

Seems they have been hi-jacked or imploded or something. I dare say they will sort it out.

They are, this is what you get when going there now:

We are currently processing system upgrades. We apologize for any inconvenience and we will be back shortly!

If you have any licensing issues, please contact licensing@prepar3d.com.
Thank you,
The Prepar3D Team

Johan

crashaz
February 18th, 2015, 06:16
As luck would have it, P3D and it's advancements come at a time when I'm winding down my enthusiasm for Flight Simming. What I have as a system is all I'll have for the future. Like txnetcop, SS and a small Military pension are all I have now and that doesn't allow for any expansion. . .ever. I have V2.5 installed but it looks no different than what I had with 2.4. Most of that is because as with FSX, at that time I had that sim running at it's peak based on my system. P3D has reached that mark for me as well. My system is running at it's best and any advancements/improvements are lost due to limitations in what my computer can reproduce. In all honesty I would do just as well to revert back to 2.4 and be happy with that. V2.5 and above will be for serious simmers or those who simply have the money to continue chasing the perfect sim. I'm no longer in that arena.

I am going to be moving up to the 970.... would like to give you my 870....and can drive it up to you.

NickB
February 19th, 2015, 03:17
Why don't you just copy your control file from FSX to P3D?

Ian

Well that sounds like a plan:encouragement:.
Ian, do you know where I will find the control file in FSX and will it be just a case of copy and paste?

Dumonceau
February 19th, 2015, 03:58
Here ya go Nick:

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Controls\

And the FSX one:

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls\

Johan

NickB
February 19th, 2015, 06:38
Here ya go Nick:

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Controls\

And the FSX one:

C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls\

Johan

Thanks Johan.

TeiscoDelRay
February 19th, 2015, 08:06
Does P3D cockpit shadows work for all planes or, like FSX, work only for planes produced with this effect?

roger-wilco-66
February 19th, 2015, 08:49
Works on all as I have seen!

Cheers,
Mark

Mach3DS
February 19th, 2015, 08:56
Works for all aircraft.

DaveWG
February 19th, 2015, 09:33
Even works on FS9 models!