PDA

View Full Version : Air Rietveld Air Manager (2D panel-building software)

MarkH
February 13th, 2015, 04:27
For people who want to build 2D panels (separate panels, not FSX gauges), you may not have heard of this this new software (http://airrietveld.nl/), which I have been checking out. You can see my 'reviewtorial' in the following vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gID5Y7uQ2oA

JimmyRFR
February 13th, 2015, 06:25
Thanks for the heads up on this. I can think of some interesting uses, just depends if I think those uses are worth the cost of the software!

Looks very modern & clean, a lot of the example gauges look to be comparable to a high end VC.

MarkH
February 14th, 2015, 10:45
Looks very modern & clean, a lot of the example gauges look to be comparable to a high end VC.

The best thing about Air Manager is that the gauge design is completely open - you can write a gague from the ground up and make it look as beautiful or as simple as you want, and you can make it do anything you want. The only reservation is that there is no current way to access Lvars exposed by third-party gauges, so you're limited to instruments that work with standard FSX variables.

Jafo
February 14th, 2015, 14:24
So it's not really something that could do this?....;)

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19584&stc=1
....in which case I'll still be doing it by hand....PSP6 and text editor ...;)

DaveWG
February 14th, 2015, 23:50
Looks interesting Mark. I was looking around for something similar to this a while back.
Shame it can't access Lvars, that would make it an almost definite buy.
Wonder if it will work on my little Windows tablet. An Android version would be nice too, even if it's only to display the gauges, rather than make them as well.

MarkH
February 15th, 2015, 00:06
Shame it can't access Lvars, that would make it an almost definite buy.
Wonder if it will work on my little Windows tablet. An Android version would be nice too, even if it's only to display the gauges, rather than make them as well.

I guess it should work on a Windows tablet. It will work (soon) on an iPad - that's the client only, not the designer. An Android version is planned 'down the line', but not quite yet. They are also working on a Rasperry Pi client.

(P.S. I did make a request for an FSUIPC interface in version 2.1, which is in development! :) )

DaveWG
February 15th, 2015, 00:12
Thanks Mark. Just been browsing the website & saw the mention of and ipad version in dev.
May get it and have a play. Can never have enough things to fiddle with! :biggrin-new:

MarkH
February 15th, 2015, 00:15
So it's not really something that could do this?....;)
....in which case I'll still be doing it by hand....PSP6 and text editor ...;)

Well you don't say what 'this' is, so it's hard to know. If this model maintains data outside of FSX and displays this data on gauges then no, you won't be able to do it fully with Air Manager. You won't be able to 'do it by hand' either. Air Manager is a cross-platform client-server system that runs the gauges independently of FSX (or P3D or X-Plane). The gagues run on Windows, Linux, MacOS, iPad and Rasperry Pi2.

Jafo
February 15th, 2015, 03:06
Well you don't say what 'this' is, so it's hard to know. If this model maintains data outside of FSX and displays this data on gauges then no, you won't be able to do it fully with Air Manager. You won't be able to 'do it by hand' either. Air Manager is a cross-platform client-server system that runs the gauges independently of FSX (or P3D or X-Plane). The gagues run on Windows, Linux, MacOS, iPad and Rasperry Pi2.
It's a 2D cockpit originating from an actual Republic F105D Thunderchief cockpit photograph with almost all of the gauges reworked/rewritten to be as 'correct' as possible, with every switch, knob, button 'functioning' within the limits of FSX and every animation depicted within the 2D environment...from mirrors to canopy to glass to reflected gauge animation to refuel probe to stick...throttle...et al.
Looks like this proggy plonks a pile of whatever gauges onto a secondary monitor somewhere rather than an aircraft-specific 2D graphic - per-pixel accurate.
In which case, as I said...I'll be sticking with the 'old way'...;)

henrystreet
February 15th, 2015, 03:48
this looks really good for pit builders

MarkH
February 15th, 2015, 05:37
with almost all of the gauges reworked/rewritten to be as 'correct' as possible, with every switch, knob, button 'functioning' within the limits of FSX

So yes, you could do it. You can make the gauges look exactly the same as the ones in your screenshot. In fact you could use the actual bitmaps if you had them.