PDA

View Full Version : FTX Global Etc, etc

expat
February 12th, 2015, 04:03
I have Orbx PNW and PF - great add-ons.

Should I also get FTX Global + Vector + LC?

falcon409
February 12th, 2015, 04:38
I have Orbx PNW and PF - great add-ons.
I only have P3D installed now, and I held off buying from Orbx for years (personal reasons). Finally though, I had to give in as the default textures were just not very exciting. It was quite a chunk, but it was well worth it.

expat
February 12th, 2015, 04:46
Thanks Ed - value your opinion.

mgchrist5
February 12th, 2015, 04:57

I don't have Vector or LC, but I did buy FTX Global during their holiday sale in December. Even at the sale price it wasn't cheap, but I don't regret it in the least. Global really does an amazing job of rejuvenating the positively awful default texture sets. I didn't notice any negative impact on frame rates, either.

Good luck.

binarkansas
February 12th, 2015, 06:36
I have several of the FTX "Fat" Regions. All are great. For GA VFR lovers like me, The Regions, airports and Global have all been money well spent. I don't particularly like Vector. It's purchase has been my only disappointment from FTX. I use UTX v.2 instead. I would definitely recommend Global and any of the full Regions as well as any of their airports. The NA Pacific Northwest Region is truly great. If you are currently using UTX v.2, I would make sure I looked at many screen shots of Vector and make sure you know what you're getting. In my opinion the roads do not look as nice as UTX and there are no small town residential roads shown and many county roads are missing. The rivers and lake coverage of Vector does seem to be greater than UTX. If you fly at 30,000 ft all the time, Vector is probably better. They also offer free areas for you to see what it's all about and there are about a hundred free upgraded airports which are all better than the default. I am very much a fan, and a loyal customer.

Hope this makes a little sense.

Barry

JimmyRFR
February 12th, 2015, 08:24
While the combination of FTX Global and FTX Vector are much more 'generic' than any of their full regions (such as the ones you have), I've been very pleased with the two of them.

FTX Global is simply great; it should look very familiar to anyone who does lots of flying in the full FTX regions, as it (re)uses many of the textures found in those regions. My only complaint with FTX Global (and I share this complaint with the full FTX regions as well) is that growing up in the prairies, a good portion of farmland turns from green to yellow as crops ripen. The FTX textures never have reflected this. This small issue has never stopped me from enjoying the product, however.

I held off installing FTX Vector until the latest update which used a much improved data set for North America. With the latest dataset, I consider it pretty good for NA flying. However, the main reason (to me) to use FTX Vector is that it opens up the reset of the world. With a good mesh, FTX Vector, and FTX Global, I can pick an airport almost anywhere in the world and enjoy the scenery. :)

ramjet
February 12th, 2015, 10:14
I have numerous Orbx scenic packs and airports. I have really enjoyed flying in their scenery and have been impressed with their improvements and advances. I bought Global and found much more detail and accuracy in the placement of scenic points. I knew this was the first of the new products that Orbx claimed would change my simming experience and it has. I added Vector when it came out and it made major improvements to rivers, roads, shorelines and land features world wide.

I am glad I have these. I don't yet have any stand alone Land Class ( LC ) packs and I don't really understand what they add. I'm very happy with what I have currently.

good flights, Cal

JimmyRFR
February 12th, 2015, 11:41
I don't yet have any stand alone Land Class ( LC ) packs and I don't really understand what they add.

They (or rather, the single one released) refine the land class displayed to better match real life placement of towns, farms, forests, etc. Other LC products such as SceneryTech or Cloud9 simply stop there; The FTX product(s) go further by adding custom terrain textures, some bits of photoreal for important or noteworthy places, etc. With the three combined (FTX Global, FTX Vector, FTX OpenLC) you come a bit closer to what a full region offers.

manfredc3
February 12th, 2015, 21:47
I have PNW and PF, and during the sale in December got FTX Global, Vector and Open LC Europe. When I fly in the PNW or PF area I set the control panel to North America. And when I fly outside of the USA, like in Europe I set it to FTX Global.

The 3 latest add-ons certainly brought the world to life. It's amazing!

expat
February 13th, 2015, 00:52
Thank you all for your very helpful comments.