PDA

View Full Version : Mission Editing?

Navy Chief
February 11th, 2015, 13:12
I had, at one time, a freeware mission editor. Never used it, and to this day, I have no clue how to edit a mission; mainly because it is so rare I even fly one. But I do have some questions about the process.

Is it possible to edit a mission to change which aircraft carrier is used? The current one used is the default Acceleration carrier. It would be nice to use either the Team SDB "Big E", or Javier's version.

Also, is there a way to turn off the ATIS voice? I am hearing both the audio with a mission that was created, (not one that came with FSX), and the ATIS voice. Annoying.

Thanks. NC

glh
February 11th, 2015, 18:13
Chief:

I know that the way to change carriers in CFS2 missions is to edit the mission file and place the folder name of the carrier(s) desired in place of the folder names of the existing carrier(s). The carriers you wanted needed to be in the SHIPS folder for CFS2.

If you can edit the particular FSX mission file you are interested in, you might try this approach. I would imagine the carriers you want to use should be under the BOATS folder.

I've never done a mission edit in FSX but it might basically work the same way as CFS2. It would logically seem that all one had to do was change the ship folder called for in the mission.

Can't help you with the voice. Sorry

Remember to save the original file.

Navy Chief
February 11th, 2015, 20:16
Chief:

I know that the way to change carriers in CFS2 missions is to edit the mission file and place the folder name of the carrier(s) desired in place of the folder names of the existing carrier(s). The carriers you wanted needed to be in the SHIPS folder for CFS2.

If you can edit the particular FSX mission file you are interested in, you might try this approach. I would imagine the carriers you want to use should be under the BOATS folder.

I've never done a mission edit in FSX but it might basically work the same way as CFS2. It would logically seem that all one had to do was change the ship folder called for in the mission.

Can't help you with the voice. Sorry

Remember to save the original file.

Your idea about mission editing makes sense, except that I no longer have the editing software. I think it can be done a FSX SDK tool, but have never tried. No problem. If there's an answer to both of my questions, I will find it! Thanks. NC

xpelekis
February 12th, 2015, 05:08
That's an easy one (well two...). You'll just have to edit the "mission name".xml file as below.
Open this file with notepad , find the following sections of the mission code (use search if needed)
and change accordingly (your choices). Then just save :

<simmission.realismoverrides>
<simmission.realismoverrides>"SimMission.RealismOverrides"
<flyingtips>Disable</flyingtips>
<crashbehavior>EndFlight</crashbehavior>
<flightrealism>UserSpecified</flightrealism>
<atcmenudisabled></atcmenudisabled><atcmenudisabled></atcmenudisabled><atcmenudisabled>"ATCMenuDisabled"</atcmenudisabled><atcmenudisabled>True</atcmenudisabled>
<unlimitedfuel>UserSpecified</unlimitedfuel>
<aircraftlabels>UserSpecified</aircraftlabels>
</simmission.realismoverrides>

<simcontain.container instanceid="{7b6c561d-2caa-4ab0-951b-74cc4f53c7b2}">
<descr>"SimContain.Container InstanceId="{7b6c561d-2caa-4ab0-951b-74cc4f53c7b2}"
"Descr"Container Add Ground Vehicle: Vehicle 1 (CVN68_1)"/Descr"
WorldPosition N36 2 24.777600,E14 47 48.310800,0.00 /WorldPosition
Orientation 0.0000,0.0000,89.9000 /Orientation
"ContainerTitle"CVN68_1"/ContainerTitle"
<aitype>GroundVehicle</aitype></descr><isonground></isonground>
</simcontain.container></simmission.realismoverrides>

The <> symbols don't "work" in the quotes...
But keep in mind that in case the new carrier deck is higher or lower (much) from the one in use, your plane will spawn below deck or higher than deck (and fall down)...
So, you'll probably have to edit the spawn height of your plane at "mission name".flt file also...

xpelekis
February 12th, 2015, 05:25
By the way & the opportunity given :

If you check the box : "allow changes in mission (no rewards given)" before you fly any mission,
then you can change Airplane, Weather, time of day, even Airport (but then mission probably won't work properly) to
fly any mission, from the Menu Bar from inside the mission (ie, just like in Free Flight).

So, if you want to fly this same mission with an other plane or weather/time of day etc, that is a very simple thing to do really...
For example, if you would like to fly the native FSX Carrier practise mission with F-14 instead of F-18 or whatever...

This native FSX Mission ability, (known by very few amongst FSX users...), ie the ability to use a mission almost the same way with Free Flight,
may add some interesting posibilities for some of you of flying your favourite planes (say Razbam's A-7) in a mission setting than just in Free Flight
(where is not much really to do or achieve over there...)

Navy Chief
February 12th, 2015, 08:05
That's an easy one (well two...). You'll just have to edit the "mission name".xml file as below.
Open this file with notepad , find the following sections of the mission code (use search if needed)
and change accordingly (your choices). Then just save :

The <> symbols don't "work" in the quotes...
But keep in mind that in case the new carrier deck is higher or lower (much) from the one in use, your plane will spawn below deck or higher than deck (and fall down)...
So, you'll probably have to edit the spawn height of your plane at "mission name".flt file also...

That all sounds simple enough, except for one problem: I do not see any .xml files in the mission folder. Is it located somewhere else? Thanks, NC

xpelekis
February 12th, 2015, 10:10
Hmm... Then that's a problem.
If mission uses .spb file instead of .xml file... I would "bail out".
Reason is you have to convert the .spb to .xml with some converter program
to make the changes.
Though I've searched for this option (and found stuff for this), I haven't managed a conversion so far.

Dangerous Beans
February 12th, 2015, 12:33
http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1655/fsx-spb2xml-utility/

Here you go spb2xml

very easy to use, just unzip the exe anywhere you like. Don't run the exe, to convert just drag and drop the spb you want to convert on top of the exe and the xml will appear in the same folder as the original spb.

Victory103
February 13th, 2015, 06:38
NC,
Purchased J. Keir's FSX Mission Editor with the intent of making accurate military style missions. Basically his program makes the SDK more user friendly. FSinsider has a few .pdf's on mission making outside of the above suggestions.

Navy Chief
February 13th, 2015, 07:19
http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1655/fsx-spb2xml-utility/

Here you go spb2xml

very easy to use, just unzip the exe anywhere you like. Don't run the exe, to convert just drag and drop the spb you want to convert on top of the exe and the xml will appear in the same folder as the original spb.

Can you please explain "drop the spb you want to convert on top of the exe" a little more? THanks. NC

UPDATE: Nevermind, I got it! Thanks!

Navy Chief
February 13th, 2015, 08:44
NC,
Purchased J. Keir's FSX Mission Editor with the intent of making accurate military style missions. Basically his program makes the SDK more user friendly. FSinsider has a few .pdf's on mission making outside of the above suggestions.

Broke down and bought it. 90 page user manual? Whew! Complicated; leastwise it is to me! NC