PDA

View Full Version : Prepar3d 2.5 is out

Alan_A
February 10th, 2015, 13:44
Prepar3d 2.5 full install (remember, no patch this time) released this afternoon, US east coast time.

I won't be among the early adopters - am waiting for third-party compatibility and maybe a hardware upgrade - but will be eager to hear early reports. Please share!

Phantom88
February 10th, 2015, 14:42
Thanks for the info,I'm gonna sit on the sidelines and let the dust settle until I do Full Install.

falcon409
February 10th, 2015, 16:18
Same here. . . .2.4 is awesome and my days of full-time simming have dwindled so I see no reason to jump on any updates anymore really. Also, just in reading bits and pieces of what's in this one. . .probably nothing earth shattering enough to make me want it. . .or need it.

Alan_A
February 10th, 2015, 16:28
People seem to be reporting good performance, though it's hard to tell in early hours if that's legit since they mostly haven't overloaded it with add-ons yet.

Speaking of which... I think that when I do get around to installing it, I'm going to try to keep a promise to myself and keep the installation relatively clean. Am tired of managing truckloads of performance-taxing products, and of having a setup that's so complex that reinstalling seems like an enormous burden. So maybe this time, I'll limit myself to a few good planes/airports/textures.

Of course, I've told myself that before...

gman5250
February 10th, 2015, 16:47
Having gone through numerous installs of the various earlier builds, I'll wait until the various add-ons update to 2.5 compatible before doing another re-install.
Seems like this usually takes about four or five weeks, depending on the author(s). I'm quite pleased with 2.4 integration with my current setup and am not to anxious to tackle another major install.

roger-wilco-66
February 10th, 2015, 21:10
I also put the update on a hold.
I'm in the middle of a scenery design project and making a full install with all the update changes needed afterwards will throw me off the schedule.

Cheers,
Mark

Dimus
February 11th, 2015, 01:37
Seems like everyone has a reason to hold off the install of 2.5. Mine is the fact that I am slowly building a new system so I have a good reason to hold and install a clean 2.5 once ready. The timing of this release could not have been better for me.

DaveWG
February 11th, 2015, 03:51
I'll be trying it out tonight. As long as FSUIPC is working, that's enough for me! Apart from ASN, I don't think I've got any other addons that will need an immediate update.

Daube
February 11th, 2015, 04:22
Looks like there's a topic on the OrbX forums telling that 2.5 creates some problems with ObjectFlow and FTX Central.
These two will be updated soon to match the P3D v2.5 requirements.

CG_1976
February 11th, 2015, 09:30
Sounds like P3Dv2.5 and FSX Steam share issue's with FTX products. Think I'll wait a bit before going to 2.5.

TuFun
February 11th, 2015, 11:24
Awaiting download to finish. Orbx or any addon is not a priorty for me. Smooth simming is! :adoration: Maybe one... Corsica!

Crusader
February 11th, 2015, 11:25
Just wonder if LM changed the default AC lineup in P3D v2.5 ? I did download 2.5 last night but on hold until ORBX changes their Objects Library and FTX Central to make them work properly . Very satisfied with 2.4 and not in a real big hurry to go through another big full installation . From what I've read about the changes , the runway lights and several other issues might be worth taking the leap . I can't remember what forum someone commented It was running pretty smooth . I'm sure it will all get worked out and I'll make the big leap .

Rich:dizzy:

Daube
February 11th, 2015, 11:40
Your question just reminded me that I should make some backup copies of the FSX default planes that don't exist in P3D...
I plan to finally uninstall completely FSX and all sceneries to start a fresh clean install of P3D only. It would be a shame to lose some of the non-downloadable FSX planes.

TuFun
February 11th, 2015, 12:08
Some mention the new radar in the F-22 is very nice. Not the type of aircraft I'm interested in, but if jets... more like F-86 and 707 are my speed.

davido53
February 11th, 2015, 13:47
well I installed the 2.5 and noticed one thing strange...I took off in an F-22, then changed to an Airbus, and when I did the controls went all squirrelly, so i reset the flight and the controls wouldn't work at all.

stovall
February 12th, 2015, 07:58
davido53, I suspect this is a controller issue not with P3D v2.5. I did the full install and to my surprise this seems to be the very best version of Prepar3D yet. It is so smooth I get about 2 FPS variation with the setting at 33. Rarely below 31 but mostly 33. I have always had a single stutter about every 30 seconds. This is gone. Now waiting for ORBX to bring out the compatibility software for Global, Vector, Pilot, the large area software and local airfields. Don't install any of these until the updates come out. I tried it but had to reinstall P3D v2.5. My own produced photo real scenery works very well. LM has a winner here.

Crusader
February 12th, 2015, 09:37
davido53, I suspect this is a controller issue not with P3D v2.5. I did the full install and to my surprise this seems to be the very best version of Prepar3D yet. It is so smooth I get about 2 FPS variation with the setting at 33. Rarely below 31 but mostly 33. I have always had a single stutter about every 30 seconds. This is gone. Now waiting for ORBX to bring out the compatibility software for Global, Vector, Pilot, the large area software and local airfields. Don't install any of these until the updates come out. I tried it but had to reinstall P3D v2.5. My own produced photo real scenery works very well. LM has a winner here.

Thanks for your comments Tom . So Truk , Marianas , Iwo Jima , Chichi Jima all work in V2.5 ?

Rich

DagR
February 13th, 2015, 08:03
Tom Stovall, have you installed the F-14 yet and how's the performance in 2.5?

Best regards
Dag

stovall
February 13th, 2015, 08:32
Good point Dag, I have been messing with my Just Flight Traffic360 since the install with little success. I will install the Aerosoft F-14 now. Back soon.

Installed the Aerosoft F-14 with no problems. My first impressions are:

1. The external version with the exhaust smoke causes a dramatic drop in FPS. Once in flight or moving down the runway this goes away completely. FPS back up to a fixed 33 with a variation at the most 2 FPS with the external view. This is flying out of Jim's Fallon NAS.
2. The cockpit causes a drop of about 10 FPS which is about the same that I get in FSX.
3. The payload manager works better than in P3D v2.4. I had issues with the x's showing up in the manager. The load out was on the aircraft but the issue seemed to be with the manager. This is not a problem now.
4. Have not loaded TacPack yet but will be doing so later today hopefully.

Got Just Flight Traffic360 installed finally. All works perfectly. Had to find the SimObject.cfg file. P3D v2.5 has moved many of their cfg files to a different location. The SimObject entries in the P3D.cfg [Main] file just don't work and are not there. All is in ProgramData now.

Hope this helps.

stovall
February 13th, 2015, 10:14
Here is a pic from Prepar3D v2.5 with HD Lighting turned off. Too dark with this turned on. The aircraft A2A Corsair and the scenery is some photo real I made of Midway Island. If all goes well with the Orbx installers I may transition completely to P3D.

(http://)http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss169/tlstovall/MidwayPhotoReal_zps1e11981e.jpg (http://s572.photobucket.com/user/tlstovall/media/MidwayPhotoReal_zps1e11981e.jpg.html)

Dimus
February 13th, 2015, 10:36
Tom, you're missing out a lot of cool lighting effects by leaving HDR out. The brightness can be adjusted. Check this thread at avsim:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/451123-brighter-hdr-tweak/

I am still on 2.4 though and I do not know how this will adapt in 2.5.

One of the cool features is that HDR adapts brightness of what you see simulating the human eye. Have it on and try looking inside the cockpit for a few seconds and then lift your head to look out. For a few brief moments all will be bright and then adapt.

Check the first minutes of this very draft video I made to show off P3D to some friends:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pGAM1KPZTU

Dumonceau
February 13th, 2015, 11:37
Tom, are those clouds stock?? Could you also post a picture over stock scenery please? Has that changed a lot?

I have v2.4 installed, have 2.5 standing by, but I'm a bit put off by the fact that FTX doesn't work yet. ORBX sceneries are a must for me.

Cheers,

Johan

stovall
February 13th, 2015, 14:20
Tom, are those clouds stock?? Could you also post a picture over stock scenery please? Has that changed a lot?

I have v2.4 installed, have 2.5 standing by, but I'm a bit put off by the fact that FTX doesn't work yet. ORBX sceneries are a must for me.

Cheers,

Johan

Johan, those are the stock clouds. I have added FSUIPC, some aircraft and personal scenery but that is all. Oh yes I got Just Flight Traffic360 working perfectly. Everything else is stock. So far this is a real winner.

stovall
February 13th, 2015, 14:25
Tom, you're missing out a lot of cool lighting effects by leaving HDR out. The brightness can be adjusted. Check this thread at avsim:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/451123-brighter-hdr-tweak/

I am still on 2.4 though and I do not know how this will adapt in 2.5.

One of the cool features is that HDR adapts brightness of what you see simulating the human eye. Have it on and try looking inside the cockpit for a few seconds and then lift your head to look out. For a few brief moments all will be bright and then adapt.

Check the first minutes of this very draft video I made to show off P3D to some friends:

Dimus, thank you so much for the link and advice on the HDR. I removed the slashes on the avg entry and what a difference. I am lowering the value slightly to see what that does. For me it is a great improvement with HDR checked. Much appreciated.

One more picture with HDR check and the flight over Midway.

(http://)http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss169/tlstovall/MidwayPhotoReal2_zpsf0763c00.jpg (http://s572.photobucket.com/user/tlstovall/media/MidwayPhotoReal2_zpsf0763c00.jpg.html)

stovall
February 13th, 2015, 14:39
One more picture with a slight adjustment in the avgLuninance to 0.72 That should do it for me. This changes everything regarding the lighting. Again very much appreciated Dimus.

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss169/tlstovall/MidwayPhotoReal3_zps51664b3e.jpg (http://s572.photobucket.com/user/tlstovall/media/MidwayPhotoReal3_zps51664b3e.jpg.html)

DagR
February 14th, 2015, 00:08
Thanks for the info Tom and everyone else. That HDR tweak might want me to put it back on :-)

Best regards
Dag

stovall
February 14th, 2015, 05:58
Dag, I suspect you and I shared the same feeling. With HDR checked and everything being so dark I just seemed to gravitate back to FSX. Now the lighting is as good or even better in P3D. What is even better is P3D version 2.5 has eliminated some small problems I experienced in FSX. Now with Orbx coming back on board very soon it is like an entirely different sim platform.

Dumonceau
February 14th, 2015, 06:54
Johan, those are the stock clouds. I have added FSUIPC, some aircraft and personal scenery but that is all. Oh yes I got Just Flight Traffic360 working perfectly. Everything else is stock. So far this is a real winner.

Ok, you won me over. I just made an image of my rig, but will now proceed to a crispy clean fresh install of P3D (and windows! Ran into a few problems lately which will be alleviated by a new install)

Cheers Tom!!

Johan

Dimus
February 14th, 2015, 07:41
No problem Tom. It was Ron at the P3D forum that first suggested that. I tried it but happened to prefer the default darker lighting. I may experiment more after I install 2.5.

DagR
February 14th, 2015, 13:49
Dag, I suspect you and I shared the same feeling. With HDR checked and everything being so dark I just seemed to gravitate back to FSX. Now the lighting is as good or even better in P3D. What is even better is P3D version 2.5 has eliminated some small problems I experienced in FSX. Now with Orbx coming back on board very soon it is like an entirely different sim platform.

Quite right Tom ;-)

Best regards
Dag

DagR
February 15th, 2015, 07:51
A setting of 0.75 was just right for me :jump: Looks marvellous : :applause:

Best
Dag

modelr
February 16th, 2015, 08:27
FSX will soon be uninstalled from my rig! Another SSD drive will be available! V2.5 first flight just for the basic set-up of files was a mind blower! :jump:

Snurdley
February 16th, 2015, 11:30
I thought 2.4 was actually a step backward from FSX as far as water and cloud rendering went. If it's better I'll gladly spend more time in it.

Naismith
February 16th, 2015, 11:42
4 days of 2.5 and I am quite happy with it so far & fingers crossed. It runs smooth and no crashes thus far. I was nervous as v2.4 was an exercise in frustration for me with its persistent unexplained crashes.

Not yet at the stage where I have full confidence to ditch FSX (Jeez, I I'm still loathe to delete FS9 for heavens sake :untroubled:) I'm wondering if yon Belgian chap will update his SimLauncher interface. I like that but it doesn't recognise P3D at this stage.

Only one or two add-ons Rob Richardson's DH-125 (wonderful a/c), Malby's BAC1-11 (I cannot imagine being without that) and Ant's Tiger Moth (low & slow a/c of choice)
FTX/ORBX I will await their update before venturing there.

Slàinte mhor!

DaveWG
February 16th, 2015, 12:20
SimLauncherX does work with P3dv2, but not 2.5 yet. He is working on it though.:encouragement:

falcon409
February 16th, 2015, 16:11
I thought 2.4 was actually a step backward from FSX as far as water and cloud rendering went. If it's better I'll gladly spend more time in it.
No offense, and this is strictly my opinion, but P3D hasn't taken a backward step since it hit Version 2.0. Certainly 2.4 was the best to that point with beautiful effects with cloud shadowing and water effects beat anything FSX ever thought of having. I've moved on to V2.5 and have yet to see anything overly impressive about it really, but P3D has advanced so far beyond FSX as to almost make it obsolete.

Snurdley
February 16th, 2015, 18:08
No offense, and this is strictly my opinion, but P3D hasn't taken a backward step since it hit Version 2.0. Certainly 2.4 was the best to that point with beautiful effects with cloud shadowing and water effects beat anything FSX ever thought of having. I've moved on to V2.5 and have yet to see anything overly impressive about it really, but P3D has advanced so far beyond FSX as to almost make it obsolete.

I've been tweaking things for years and right now I'm getting some fantastic effects in FSX. I started P3D with 2.4 and noticed immediately that I wasn't able to duplicate the water or atmospheric effects. I use REX clouds and for some reason they just don't look as good. Unfortunately ENB won't run in DX11 so have been using SweetFX, which helps a lot, but in my view isn't quite as good with bloom. It does help with the over saturation though, and I introduced a bit of red in the RGB adjustment to kill some of the cyan color cast. Water was (is?) a black, inky mess, but REX4 may help with that. I also don't see any animation. FSX has it right out of the box, and it's beautiful. I guess being an artist makes me a bit more anal with the visuals. I really don't care about systems, it's seeing a sim that looks as real as I can possibly get it.

falcon409
February 16th, 2015, 18:25
I've been tweaking things for years and right now I'm getting some fantastic effects in FSX. I started P3D with 2.4 and noticed immediately that I wasn't able to duplicate the water or atmospheric effects. I use REX clouds and for some reason they just don't look as good. Unfortunately ENB won't run in DX11 so have been using SweetFX, which helps a lot, but in my view isn't quite as good with bloom. It does help with the over saturation though, and I introduced a bit of red in the RGB adjustment to kill some of the cyan color cast. Water was (is?) a black, inky mess, but REX4 may help with that. I also don't see any animation. FSX has it right out of the box, and it's beautiful. I guess being an artist makes me a bit more anal with the visuals. I really don't care about systems, it's seeing a sim that looks as real as I can possibly get it.
Sounds like you should stay with FSX then.

gman5250
February 16th, 2015, 18:36
For the guys on the fence, I'll give you my humble suggestion.

Jump in to P3D, now that it is smoothing out and turning into a real top flight sim. The learning curve is substantial compared to FSX, so it's beneficial to learn your way around the various settings and setups. It takes a while to really find the sweet spot.

Once your tactical add-ons come online you will be checked out and ready to take full advantage of the sim.

I'm personally waiting to install 2.5 until EFB, ASN and IS update, but I did update the SDK.

I recently stepped up and purchased 3D Studio Max 2015 (ouch) and was having some issues with the 2.4 SDK in 3DS. Today I installed the new 2.5 SDK and ran some test models through XtoMDL...successfully. Looks like everything is up to speed for P3D2.5/3DStudio Max 2015. Makes my life a lot easier.

IMHO: P3Dv2.4 and beyond are amazing. What can be done with light and shadow were never even imagined in FSX. The possibilities of achieving near perfect realism are not only a possibility, but an inevitability. The tools are finally available for developers who really seek to push the envelope.

Thanks to the LM Dev team for a job well done. Looking forward to what's coming down the pike.

TeiscoDelRay
February 16th, 2015, 18:46
Does the A2A B-17 and B377 work in this?

Daube
February 16th, 2015, 22:39
They worked just fine in 2.4, but I don't know in 2.5...

TeiscoDelRay
February 17th, 2015, 09:08
Anyone having trouble getting on the Prepar3d web site?

Daube
February 17th, 2015, 09:55
Their website does not answer for me.

TuFun
February 17th, 2015, 10:16
Some developers are adding rain effects once again to their models for P3Dv2

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/462185-mr-robin-ainscough/?p=3178162

CanadaKen
February 17th, 2015, 14:31
Anyone having trouble getting on the Prepar3d web site?
It was down for a few hour because of a snow storm and the load v2.5 downloads are putting on
their system.

CK

Snurdley
February 17th, 2015, 14:51
Sounds like you should stay with FSX then.

The water issue has been thoroughly documented by others. I've seen it myself but maybe the new features of REX4 help, just haven't had enough time to play with it. As far as sticking with FSX, I'm using both, but am going to install 2.5 since I invested in a new Vcard for P3D. And there are certainly things that I do like, such as improved frame rates and cloud shadows. I can now fly around Seattle without a stutter fest.

Dimus
February 17th, 2015, 23:38
With tesselation maxed, water maxed and ground textures resolution maxed, plus REX 4 "White Caps" animation the water is the best I've seen in both FSX/P3D IMHO. Wave 3d height is also variable according to wind speed:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/2014-12-18_22-36-57-746_zpsdb40ec74.jpg~original (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/VDimus/media/2014-12-18_22-36-57-746_zpsdb40ec74.jpg.html)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/2014-12-18_22-39-36-801_zpse45fa6c6.jpg~original (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/VDimus/media/2014-12-18_22-39-36-801_zpse45fa6c6.jpg.html)

TeiscoDelRay
February 18th, 2015, 03:51
What kind of horsepower does it take to run all those set to high?

Daube
February 18th, 2015, 05:40

Depends where you are flying.
On P3D 2.4, on OrbX sceneries like PNW, I was getting excellent performance with my old GTX480, coupled with an i7 960 @ 3,7GHz. Performance was always smooth as long as I stayed away from major aiports like Seattle or Portland. Since I'm more a VFR/military flyer, this restriction was not problematic for me. In nicely detailled airfields like Bowerman for example, it was nice and smooth :)

falcon409
February 18th, 2015, 06:05
With a few exceptions, all my settings are to the extreme (cloud reflections in water drag down my fps) and my system is hardly a "beast".
AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core
3800Mhz
Win7 Home Premium 64bit_16mg RAM
NVidia GTX650Ti 2gig
2-21" flat screens

If I fly aircraft that are specific to P3D my framerates can be as high as the mid 30's depending on where I fly (cities are a strain as usual)
If I fly FSX Native aircraft the fps dips a bit to high 20's
If I fly FS9 portovers (I have less than 5 like that) then I'm lucky to get 18fps

The nice thing is that even at 18 it's still relatively smooth. One other thing I want to mention about the water. . .Snurdley mentioned that he saw no animation with the water in P3D. It must be set to "max" for that to show. Also, when you do that, if you have a boat (or even if you don't) get right down over the water and take a look. . .that's animation FSX will never have.

TeiscoDelRay
February 18th, 2015, 11:59
How big is the basic install? Also about how long does it take to download the whole thing?

CG_1976
February 18th, 2015, 12:59
Ok where is the Addon Scenery folder in P3D tree?? How I am supposed to install CYFB Iqaluit and Acapulco and KSAT, KLAS??

DaveWG
February 18th, 2015, 13:04
There isn't one. Doesn't stop you making your one yourself though. Doesn't have to be in the P3d main folder, can be anywhere.

CG_1976
February 18th, 2015, 13:15
There isn't one. Doesn't stop you making your one yourself though. Doesn't have to be in the P3d main folder, can be anywhere.

Does that effect P3D's performance?

falcon409
February 18th, 2015, 13:54
Does that effect P3D's performance?
Nope. Just setup your own Scenery folders wherever you wish. Just activate them in the Scenery Library, that's it.

Snurdley
February 18th, 2015, 14:36
One other thing I want to mention about the water. . .Snurdley mentioned that he saw no animation with the water in P3D. It must be set to "max" for that to show. Also, when you do that, if you have a boat (or even if you don't) get right down over the water and take a look. . .that's animation FSX will never have.

Thanks. I left the settings the same as FSX and expected to see the same effects. I'll give that a shot. Hope it doesn't hit the rig too hard.

DagR
February 19th, 2015, 01:32
Right!

I have now installed version 2.5 and I am having problems with external canopy reflectivity. In previous versions I had very nice reflective canopies on the F-35. F-22, the aerosoft F-14 and also Dino's MB-326. Now they are all dull showing no sign of diffuse alpha reflections (glass-like) at all. Does anyone else have this issue?

Best
Dag

Dumonceau
February 19th, 2015, 02:10
Right!

I have now installed version 2.5 and I am having problems with external canopy reflectivity. In previous versions I had very nice reflective canopies on the F-35. F-22, the aerosoft F-14 and also Dino's MB-326. Now they are all dull showing no sign of diffuse alpha reflections (glass-like) at all. Does anyone else have this issue?

Best
Dag

Not on my rig. have you checked the reflection settings??

DagR
February 19th, 2015, 04:02
You mean reflection settings in the sim right? Yes, off course.

Best regards
Dag

hschuit
February 19th, 2015, 04:45
Dag, I am (almost) sure you did these checks yourself already but just in case:

Are all required global environment/specular/fresnel maps present in the P3D .\Texture folder ? Many FSX addons use these global files:

Fresnel_Ramp.dds (or .bmp)
GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds
GlobalEnv_AC_Glass_T.dds
GlobalEnv_AC_Glass_spec_T.dds
GlobalEnvTest.dds

And this is a long shot: I would delete/rebuild the shader cache (located in "C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin").

DagR
February 19th, 2015, 05:39
Dag, I am (almost) sure you did these checks yourself already but just in case:

Are all required global environment/specular/fresnel maps present in the P3D .\Texture folder ? Many FSX addons use these global files:

Fresnel_Ramp.dds (or .bmp)
GlobalEnv_AC_Chrome.dds
GlobalEnv_AC_Glass_T.dds
GlobalEnv_AC_Glass_spec_T.dds
GlobalEnvTest.dds

And this is a long shot: I would delete/rebuild the shader cache (located in "C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin").

Only the fresnel ramp was missing from the texture folder.
I rebuilt my shader cache many times, I have been experimenting with the HDR settings you see :-)

Thanks
Dag

DagR
February 19th, 2015, 10:34
No joy on getting the reflections back like in 2.4 :-(

Best
Dag

TeiscoDelRay
February 19th, 2015, 12:59
Just bought it and so far not happy. I run three gtx 980 cards and thought that because Nvidia now had a profile for this sim that at least two cards should work in SLI. Wrong, viewing the cards usage and temps in Afterburner showed me that the top card ran around 70 degrees but the other two were loafing around 40 degrees. I tried several things including setting the cards up as alternate frame rendering but still the top card in the stack did all the work while the other two took a nap.

SLI in this sim is not perfected yet so I guess refund and try again some time in the future when they get that ironed out.

Oh, by the way, FSX uses all three cards equally.

Daube
February 19th, 2015, 13:36
No joy on getting the reflections back like in 2.4 :-(

Best
Dag

Can you post a screenshot of what you're actually getting in the sim ?
Are you sure you hadn't installed some alternative "envmap" texture in your P3D 2.4 ?

Naismith
February 19th, 2015, 14:44
I don't really understand the benefits of more than one card anyway with any game. Anyone care to supply a primer for me? It strikes me as a bit of a cash cow for the card makers. Am I wrong or just mean and poor?

DagR
February 19th, 2015, 20:10
Can you post a screenshot of what you're actually getting in the sim ?
Are you sure you hadn't installed some alternative "envmap" texture in your P3D 2.4 ?

I did a full clean reinstall of 2.5, the only way to go I am afraid. And no, I did not put in any custom envmap. Will post some screenies on monday.

Best regards
Dag

spatialpro
February 20th, 2015, 08:12
I don't really understand the benefits of more than one card anyway with any game. Anyone care to supply a primer for me? It strikes me as a bit of a cash cow for the card makers. Am I wrong or just mean and poor?

I'm certainly the wrong guy to supply a primer, but my impression is that SLI with GPUs are subject to the law-of-diminishing-returns. I'm given to understand that adding a second card with SLI won't simply double your available GPU power (as many assume, in error) and adding a 3rd card certainly won't triple it etc. etc... According to this you'll actually end up getting less value for money the more you set out to achieve. For these reasons alone I'm sticking with a single card.

Andy

CanadaKen
February 21st, 2015, 07:23
I run three gtx 980 cards and thought that because Nvidia now had a profile for this sim that at least two cards should work in SLI.
As far as I know LM is still waiting for Nvidia to get off their butts and provide a profile for P3D.

CK

TeiscoDelRay
February 21st, 2015, 09:05
Nvidia's newest drivers does have a profile for P3D but the program only really uses one card so far.

DagR
February 22nd, 2015, 08:42
Here's how my P-38s look. These both hadd a nice metallic shine to them in earlier versions. This is after the hotfix for 2.5 but they looked just the same before. Dull glass and very dull fuselage.
Many aircraft have similar features, especially on the canopy glass. I refuse to believe they are supposed to be like this.

best
Dag

Dumonceau
February 22nd, 2015, 09:33
Here's how my P-38s look. These both hadd a nice metallic shine to them in earlier versions. This is after the hotfix for 2.5 but they looked just the same before. Dull glass and very dull fuselage.
Many aircraft have similar features, especially on the canopy glass. I refuse to believe they are supposed to be like this.

best
Dag

I have the same problem and I did change over the envmaps...

DagR
February 22nd, 2015, 09:54
I have the same problem and I did change over the envmaps...

Do you mean you got rid of the problem by copying over different envmaps?
I tried several with the same result. To me it seems like the diffuse alpha channel is not read by the sim.

Dag

dharry
February 22nd, 2015, 13:36
I'm considering updating to v 2.5 but has i've just remastered my PC and installed v 2.4 with various aircraft and scenery add-ons, can I get away with just uninstalling v 2.4 leaving the aircraft add-on folders in place and installing v 2.5? My scenery is already on a separate drive to P3D so that shouldn't cause issues apart from Orbx Global Base & Monument Valley?

Phantom88
February 22nd, 2015, 14:25
I'm considering updating to v 2.5 but has i've just remastered my PC and installed v 2.4 with various aircraft and scenery add-ons, can I get away with just uninstalling v 2.4 leaving the aircraft add-on folders in place and installing v 2.5? My scenery is already on a separate drive to P3D so that shouldn't cause issues apart from Orbx Global Base & Monument Valley?

I don't think so,P3D 2.5 folders have been restructured, The SimObjects folder is no longer in The root P3D folder,I think this restructuring was the reason a Fresh install was needed instead of a patch.

Daube
February 22nd, 2015, 14:26
Also, you won't be able to activate your 2.5 install if you don't uninstall the 2.4 first.

UnknownGuest12
February 25th, 2015, 09:07
Now installed 2.5 and everything runs smooth once again...

Need some help...how to stop those lines on upper right corner ( fps and coordenates) from showing everytime I start P3D? Know about shift-z , tried to find out how to disable this featute, done that on 2.4, forgot how and not able to find a way on 2.5 settings.

Thanks

hschuit
February 25th, 2015, 09:16
Now installed 2.5 and everything runs smooth once again...
Need some help...how to stop those lines on upper right corner ( fps and coordenates) from showing everytime I start P3D? Know about shift-z , tried to find out how to disable this featute, done that on 2.4, forgot how and not able to find a way on 2.5 settings.
Thanks

Launch your default flight, then remove the TextInfo banner with [Shift+Z], then save your default flight. Next time, your default flight will start without the banner. You will still be able to make it visible during the flight with [Shift+Z].

UnknownGuest12
February 25th, 2015, 12:39
Launch your default flight, then remove the TextInfo banner with [Shift+Z], then save your default flight. Next time, your default flight will start without the banner. You will still be able to make it visible during the flight with [Shift+Z].

Hi
Thanks....