PDA

View Full Version : FSX uninstallation woes....

Navy Chief
February 9th, 2015, 06:58
For a while now, I have been installing addons into FSX-Steam, but had both FSX-O and FSX-Steam version on my computer. But I made the decision to completely uninstall FSX-O because the VRS Superbug and TacPac cannot be installed into Steam if FSX-O is installed as well.

Sooooooo..... I methodically went about the process of uninstalling FSX-O yesterday. Took my time. Also uninstalled FSX-Steam, and reinstalled it (per VRS instructions).

I installed TacPac, pointing the installer to my Steam directory. During installation, I got a popup, saying that FSX-O was still installed,and that TacPac would be automatically installed to it.

Bottom line is that TacPac installed, and even activated, but will NOT start, as it says FSX-O is still installed.

Checked my registry, but do NOT see FSX-O.

I posted on the VRS support forum, but so far the only comment I have read is asking why I would want FSX-Steam if I already had the boxed version?

Really need help with this, if anyone can advise. All I want to do is install the Superbug/TacPac into the Steam version. NC

Daveroo
February 9th, 2015, 08:25
hi hear ya NC,,i too tried to uninstall all of FSX-O as you call it,,i want to just use the FSX-SE version..but none of the installers for FTX-Orbix will allow me to install anything as it says FSX is still installed..ive checked everything,registry all my files..i can not find whats left...last night while in bed..i decided id just wipe my disc clean and start over again....but i really dont want to..

Navy Chief
February 9th, 2015, 08:29
hi hear ya NC,,i too tried to uninstall all of FSX-O as you call it,,i want to just use the FSX-SE version..but none of the installers for FTX-Orbix will allow me to install anything as it says FSX is still installed..ive checked everything,registry all my files..i can not find whats left...last night while in bed..i decided id just wipe my disc clean and start over again....but i really dont want to..

That would be the very last option for me. Too many games, etc.... on that drive, and (although the VRS Superbug and TacPac are exceptional) they aren't THAT important to me! There's gotta be an easier fix! NC

Dumonceau
February 9th, 2015, 08:34
Guys,

From what I can tell of your stories, the registry wasn't cleaned thoroughly.

Take a look at this thread on flightsim.com moderated by our own Don: http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?271827-How-To-Correctly-Uninstall-amp-Reinstall-FSX

Clean the registry, remove any folders related to FSX, start all over again. It isn't that hard.

Johan

manfredc3
February 9th, 2015, 09:38
It sounds like there is still a registry key linking to FSX=O.

Have you tried running the Flight1 registry repair tool? Not sure if that will work in this case, but it might be worth giving it a try.

You can find it here: http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

Navy Chief
February 9th, 2015, 12:17
I received a reply to my post on the VRS forums. They posted a suggested procedure for uninstalling FSX (identical to the one I had followed), but...... they also included a link to their Steam-supported Superbug/Tacpac files.

That may be where I went wrong.

I had gone to my original receipt, and redownloaded from the links there, thinking those would be the updated ones. Nope. Leastwise those are not the Steam supported versions. So I just finished downloading from THEIR link.

Now I have to reinstall FSX-Steam.

Crossing fingers. Will report back in a few hours. NC

Daveroo
February 9th, 2015, 21:18
i tried the flight1 registry tool..it wanted my fsx install ...ive removed all that stuff from my C drive..nothing there as far as you can see...but there must be something "living" in the registry thats messing with me...

Navy Chief
February 10th, 2015, 06:38
I am beyond frustrated now. Last night I uninstalled FSX-Steam. Ran CC Registry Cleaner. Rebooted. Redownloaded FSX-Steam, (took 4 hours). This morning, I started FSX-Steam, set controls. Ended flight, and shut down Steam.

Tried to install TacPac, and immediately that damn popup shows, saying I have both FSX-O AND FSX-Steam. NO I DON'T!!

This is beyond f....ing maddening.:banghead:

Lane Street
February 10th, 2015, 07:37
Could it be that the TacPac installer has a bad registry entry?

Have you tried to contact the developer?

cheers,
Lane

Dumonceau
February 10th, 2015, 07:56
The thing is that you have to uninstall the addons (all of them) before uninstalling the sim.

Then you clean the registry and check for leftovers of the addons you uninstalled. Then you uninstall the sim and remove all folders. (app data, program data and the folders within the documents folders)

Also, after having cleaned the registry, reboot, reboot reboot. Only then will the cleaned registry come into play!

We've talked about this before if I'm not mistaking! (other people involved)

Hope this works for ya Chief!

Johan

Dangerous Beans
February 10th, 2015, 08:47
NC when you uninstalled FSX-O did you do it through Control Panel/programs and features ?
If so did you uninstall both FSX Acceleration and FSX ?

In my experience you have to uninstall FSX Acceleration first then close Programs and Features and open it again before the entry for FSX will show up.

Navy Chief
February 10th, 2015, 10:20
NC when you uninstalled FSX-O did you do it through Control Panel/programs and features ?
If so did you uninstall both FSX Acceleration and FSX ?

In my experience you have to uninstall FSX Acceleration first then close Programs and Features and open it again before the entry for FSX will show up.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did all that, and more. Uninstalled ALL addons, but believe registry entries involving those addons are "lingering". Made a complete copy of my registry, and sent to my desktop AND a flash drive. According to replies I have read from a VRS support tech, my problems lie in the registry. Geez. Never thought I would go through this crap just to install ONE aircraft! But now this has become an obsession!!! NC

Navy Chief
February 10th, 2015, 12:17
SUCCESS!! :applause::encouragement:

Thanks to the suggestion of fellow SOH member, Dumonceau, I checked the registry for FSX-related addon entries. Indeed there were some. I made complete backup of registry before any editing though. But, after deleting those entries, the VRS installers worked flawlessly! Thanks, Dumonceau! :very_drunk: NC

Dumonceau
February 11th, 2015, 02:18
For future reference when uninstalling FSX:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19440&stc=1

Oh and Pete, you're welcome mate, my pleasure!

Johan