PDA

View Full Version : A.F. Scrub Search

falcon409
February 8th, 2015, 23:14
Sometimes the search engine for flightsim.com really irritates me. I wanted to see what FSX models he had done, so I typed "AF Scrub" the first time and only got one. Ok. . .I looked at how his name was set in the description and did a new search, this time I typed it as it was shown and entered "A.F. Scrub". . .that produced nothing. Great, so I found the interview article about him and at the end it had a link to view all of his work. Nice but I only wanted to view FSX models, so after looking over about half a dozen descriptions to see if I had maybe put in a space where I shouldn't have I tried one more time with no spaces between the "A.F." and "Scrub". . .requested only FSX models. . .aaaaand. . .Finally. No way his name looks like there's no space between the initials and his last name. Oh well!

emfrat
February 8th, 2015, 23:27
Well, after reading your post a few minutes ago, I opened another tab, logged into flightsim.com, and Searched FSX: FSX All Files for text scrub and I got 258 results, including the ones that are FS2004/FSX.

Hope this helps.
MikeW

Bjoern
February 9th, 2015, 03:06
Yup, searching for "Scrub" should produce more results than searching for "A.F. Scrub". One of the very few drawbacks of Flightsim's search engine, which is generally more effective than Avsim's*.

*YMMV

falcon409
February 9th, 2015, 07:16
Yup, searching for "Scrub" should produce more results than searching for "A.F. Scrub". One of the very few drawbacks of Flightsim's search engine, which is generally more effective than Avsim's*.
*YMMV
I agree, I never use AVsim actually, don't like the look or feel of that site. But for flightsim.com, the fact that a "space" would be enough to cause the search engine to go brain dead is kinda ridiculous. MikeW, that's great that you thought to just search "Scrub" and found everything, but if his name in the description is "A.F. Scrub" (with a space), then the search engine should find it that way. Instead, the search engine doesn't like that space for some reason. Look this is a mute point now since I found his FSX models, just had to vent on my frustration with that site and how it searches sometimes. Going back to my scenery now.

Lane Street
February 9th, 2015, 14:47
... the fact that a "space" would be enough to cause the search engine to go brain dead is kinda ridiculous.

Actually I think it is the periods that screw things up.

I know I have searched for files by file name there that was something.something.zip and the search engine couldn't find it.

cheers,
Lane

fsxar177
February 9th, 2015, 16:24
I'm just trying to figure out why someone would intentionally search 'Scrub' ?

- J

Ian Warren
February 10th, 2015, 10:49
I simply typed in 'A F Scrub' .. come up with 364 results :encouragement: