PDA

View Full Version : Fsx on two computers?

ZIPPER010
February 3rd, 2015, 09:53
I have a second computer (q-6600 2400 MHz) with a GeForce 8800GTX and a I3 with a GeForce. 760.
I use the I3 now for Fsx but can I add the old one with Widefs and take some of the workload of the I3 to make that one faster on heavy conditions? (orbx and a demanding plane and high setting of autogen)?

anyone suggestions on how to set it up and whats your experience with it?

dougal
February 3rd, 2015, 15:23
I have a second computer (q-6600 2400 MHz) with a GeForce 8800GTX and a I3 with a GeForce. 760.
I use the I3 now for Fsx but can I add the old one with Widefs and take some of the workload of the I3 to make that one faster on heavy conditions? (orbx and a demanding plane and high setting of autogen)?

anyone suggestions on how to set it up and whats your experience with it?

I've been running a system like that for years, but don't go thinking you can offload stuff like Orbx, or other scenery etc. Although much CAN be off loaded, it really can only be addons that you'd normally run in the background of FSX. I use the networked PC for progs such as Flightsim Commander or other moving maps. Its also great for running any ATC software and weather addons. Although its theorhetically possible to do more, with the use of 'mapped' network drives and 'symbolic links', doing so actually causes HUUUUUGE bottle necks while files are serched etc.

Being able to use just one keyboard and mouse with both machines, by means of running 'Synergy' software, is also a great help.

IanHenry
February 3rd, 2015, 23:50
Zipper, have you thought about trying the Steam edition of FSX? I currently have it installed on my old flight sim computer (i7 920, GTX580 & 12 Gb RAM) with all the sliders fully to the right, with the exception of Traffic at 20% and it 's like a different program, I don't know what they've done to it but it's great. If you can get it on one of their special deals, it's well worth doing so. The only drawback that I've found is that you cannot use it if your internet goes down despite Steam having an option to log on off line, mine didn't.

Ian