PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like my planes are receiving MORSE CODE (?)

wichner
January 31st, 2015, 12:54
Took a few old WW2 planes up for a ride today and every 5 seconds we hear
Morse Code like sounds. This is all new. What did I do now? Any ideas?

Craig Taylor
January 31st, 2015, 13:01
Maybe you were tuned in to a navaid with an audible signal, like an NDB? I get that occasionally with the Warbirdsim Mustangs.

wichner
January 31st, 2015, 13:14
Maybe you were tuned in to a navaid with an audible signal, like an NDB? I get that occasionally with the Warbirdsim Mustangs.

Thank You Craig. I wish I were that smart. I have no idea how to use a navaid and I certainly don't know what NDB is.

How would I turn it off?

StormILM
January 31st, 2015, 13:41
Hi wichner,

Most Navaids(VOR's & NDB's) also transmit an audible signal which are the identification letters of the Navaid in More Code so the airman can make a positive ID of that station. The Morse Code ID letters are transmitted in cycles. In both real aircraft and in the FSX radio panels there is (normally) a button/switch selector located near the frequency tuner which will allow you to turn on/off the audible portion of the Navaid frequency feed. If you wish to silence the sound, you can either do so by the above method or simply switch frequency. I will note that every now & then(very rarely) I have encountered both aircraft models and particular areas of scenery where for whatever reason I could not seem silence the marker beacons/Navaid Morse Code.

Hope this helps.

wichner
January 31st, 2015, 15:33
Thank You StormILM.
I will try out your suggestions tomorrow. It makes sense but I know very little about Navaids. I'll check back with results.
Just fustrating!

stansdds
February 1st, 2015, 04:38
I can guarantee you that you are hearing the audible codes transmitted by VOR and/or NDB radios. Check the communication selector panel in the aircraft, there will be buttons or knobs to turn on and off the audio signal. If there are no such buttons on the audio panel, then look at the NAV and ADF radio controls, there should be a switch to turn off the audio signal.

wichner
February 1st, 2015, 05:42
Thank you Stansdds

I downloaded two JU 87's and I believe they are the problem. Learn something new every day from all the experts here. Thanks everyone!