PDA

View Full Version : 29 yrs ago, the Challenger disaster.

Navy Chief
January 28th, 2015, 18:43
The Challenger disaster took place 29 yrs ago today. At that time, I was stationed at NAS Cecil Field, FL, and we could see the smoke trails, all the way from Jacksonville.

Capt. Michael Smith was the commander of the shuttle Challenger that fateful day. Here is a bio:

http://www.navalhistory.org/2015/01/28/capt-michael-smiths-journey-to-the-final-frontier-and-beyond

Many years prior, Capt. Smith had been assigned to the U.S. Navy Test Pilor School, and I was stationed there as well, (1975) working in the Egress shop of that command. I was privileged to have gotten a backseat ride in a T-38, flown by a young Lt. Smith, who would some day command the Challenger. God rest his and every soul who died that day. NC

fsafranek
January 28th, 2015, 22:13
I worked at Rockwell International - North American Aircraft Operations in El Segundo back in those days. My job led to a lot of interaction with folks at Space Division in Downey (both cities were in LA area). I remember it well because it was the day before my 28th birthday. We were in a Tempest room (very deep security) working on a proposal for the Air Force. So we had Air Force types working with us. The guy I dealt with daily was a former F-4 pilot at Edwards. His back seat guy was Ellison Onizuka who was on the Challenger mission. It was he who got the call and told the dozen or so of us in the room. That was probably the darkest day I can remember at Rockwell.

Rami
January 29th, 2015, 00:50
Navy Chief,

Hey...thanks for bringing this up. One of my most vivid childhood memories was staying home sick that day from school and watching the launch live on TV. When the vehicle exploded, I remember asking my father what happened...and I remember him staring blankly at the TV and not responding for several minutes.