PDA

View Full Version : Everybody needs 5 of these per computer

hey_moe
January 27th, 2009, 12:10
Western Digital 2TB HDD is now a reality - spotted in stores (http://www.guru3d.com/news/western-digital-2tb-hdd-is-now-a-reality--spotted-in-stores/)As reported a couple of times earlier, WD ahs been working on a 2 terabyte HDD. We noticed that it's now finally available. A tad pricy though at roughly 225 EUR / 250 USD. The HDD is labeled as Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS and comes with 4 500 GB platters. It has no less than 32MB of cache memory and a seek time of 8.9ms.
Early tests show that the driver has a read speed of 90 MBps and a write speed of 80 MBps. Not bad at all for such a large drive. Soon the competition will follow, we expect Seagate will be next. Source: guru3d

(http://www.guru3d.com/news/western-digital-2tb-hdd-is-now-a-reality--spotted-in-stores/)

Odie
January 27th, 2009, 12:55
That's the kind of space where you'll hear an echo every time it writes to the harddive ! :mixedsmi: How many MP3's will that hold??

The PC is starting to catch up with mainframe storage sizes these days....

Lionheart
January 27th, 2009, 15:14
Thanks for the heads up Moe!

I hope prices come down soon. $150.00 to $200 I think would be a good price for one. I wish I could have had one to put in my iMac. Would have been nice... Timing.. arrghh..

I wonder if they have a 1TB laptop drive yet? Does that exist? (off to NewEgg.com to find out).

Bill

Snuffy
January 28th, 2009, 03:17
I'll be looking forward to the package then Mike!

Thanks for buying them for me!! :woot:

Ickie
January 28th, 2009, 03:21
by the time you get through defraging, it time to do it again.

noddy
January 28th, 2009, 03:30

:costumes:

GT182
January 28th, 2009, 04:03

It should only take about 3 days to defrag one of those babies. Maybe the same to run your Antivirus and Spyware too. Echo Echo Echo. :costumes:

Cratermaker
January 28th, 2009, 04:46
By the time I could fill up that much hard drive space, HDs will be darn near discontinued and SSDs will be mainstream!

cheezyflier
January 28th, 2009, 04:58
That's the kind of space where you'll hear an echo every time it writes to the harddive ! :mixedsmi: How many MP3's will that hold??

The PC is starting to catch up with mainframe storage sizes these days....

with that kind of storage available i would step away from mp3 files and go back to regular wave files. mp3 files clip the high and low end of the sound, and the quality isn't as good. if storage space is no longer an issue, the mp3 would get the axe on my computer.

srgalahad
January 28th, 2009, 07:59
with that kind of storage available i would step away from mp3 files and go back to regular wave files. mp3 files clip the high and low end of the sound, and the quality isn't as good. if storage space is no longer an issue, the mp3 would get the axe on my computer.

Yep.. and I could do all my photo work in RAW files instead of any compressed format.

Actually I still don't get the huge drive theory... what do you back up a 2Tb drive to?? Oh yeah.. another 2 Tb drive... and then the defrag. That's after the 2-day format... and then one fries and you have to... argh... next we'll have to hire a 'home server manager' .. but wait.. wonder if there are any cute blonde female server techs... hmmm maybe this DOES have some merit after all.

Just because they can make it doesn't mean people need to buy it...

Rob

hey_moe
January 28th, 2009, 12:53
I think it should come with it's own processor and memory to speed things up when ya format and defrag.:woot: