PDA

View Full Version : 2015,Jeff Gordons final season!

Daveroo
January 22nd, 2015, 07:15
Jeff Gordon to run final full-time NASCAR season in 2015: Jeff Gordon will compete in his 23rd and final full-time Sprint Cup Series season in 2015. He announced his decision this morning to the #24 Hendrick Motorsports team he has driven for since November 1992. "As a race car driver, much of what I've done throughout my life has been based on following my instincts and trying to make good decisions," Gordon said. "I thought long and hard about my future this past year and during the offseason, and I've decided 2015 will be the last time I compete for a championship. I won't use the 'R-word' because I plan to stay extremely busy in the years ahead, and there's always the possibility I'll compete in selected events, although I currently have no plans to do that. I don't foresee a day when I'll ever step away from racing. I'm a fan of all forms of motor sports, but particularly NASCAR. We have a tremendous product, and I'm passionate about the business and its future success. As an equity owner in Hendrick Motorsports, I'm a partner with Rick (Hendrick) and will remain heavily involved with the company for many years to come. It means so much to have the chance to continue working with the owner who took a chance on me and the incredible team that's stood behind me every step of the way. Racing has provided a tremendous amount of opportunity that's been extraordinarily rewarding and fulfilling in my life. The work we're doing with the Jeff Gordon Children's Foundation will continue to be extremely important to me. Outside the race car, my passion is pediatric cancer research, and my efforts will remain focused there when I'm no longer driving. I'll explore opportunities for the next phase of my career, but my primary focus now and throughout 2015 will be my performance in the No. 24 Chevrolet. I'm going to pour everything I have into this season and look forward to the challenge of competing for one last championship. To everyone at NASCAR, my teammates, sponsors, competitors, friends, family, members of the media and especially our incredible fans, all I can say is thank you."
Gordon, 43, has earned four career Cup championships, 92 points-paying race wins and 77 pole positions, all for longtime car owner Rick Hendrick. He is third in all-time victories behind only NASCAR Hall of Fame drivers Richard Petty (200) and David Pearson (105). One of the most versatile drivers of his era in any auto racing discipline, Gordon's résumé includes three Daytona 500 victories and a record five Brickyard 400 wins. He is the sport's winningest road course driver with nine victories, stands alone as the all-time leader with 12 restrictor plate wins and has won at every track on the Sprint Cup circuit with the exception of Kentucky Speedway.
"There's simply no way to quantify Jeff's impact," said Hendrick, who first noticed Gordon during a race at Atlanta Motor Speedway in March 1992. "He's one of the biggest sports stars of a generation, and his contributions to the success and growth of NASCAR are unsurpassed. There's been no better ambassador for stock car racing and no greater representation of what a champion should be. I will never be able to properly express the respect and admiration I have for Jeff and how meaningful our relationship is to me. I'm so grateful for everything he's done for our company and my family, and I look forward to many more years together as friends and business partners." Hendrick Motorsports will announce plans for its 2016 team alignment at a later date.(Hendrick Motorsports (http://www.hendrickmotorsports.com/news/article/2015/01/22/Jeff-Gordon-to-run-final-full-time-NASCAR-season-in-2015))(1-22-2015)

PRB
January 22nd, 2015, 15:00
Yep, end of an era for sure. JG has always seemed like a classy guy. I first started paying attention to NASCAR in 2001, the year he won his last championship.

Panther_99FS
January 22nd, 2015, 15:54
Sad to see him leave & also sad that he didn't have Evernham for his whole career...

b52bob
January 22nd, 2015, 20:18
Drat, have find someone else to follow. Been enjoying watching him since hid high school days on Thursday night thunder.Thanks for great memories.

stansdds
January 23rd, 2015, 03:46
I have never been a fan of Jeff Gordon, but I will say that leaving the driver's seat while you still have the skills to win races and be a contender for a championship is better than staying out there for several seasons after you have lost your competitive edge. Congratulations to Jeff Gordon for driving the 24 car in a very competitive manner for 24 seasons.

Terry
January 23rd, 2015, 04:31
Now it's time to watch Chase Elliot who is destined for Jeff's ride in 2016. His father seems to have taught him well, and not just driving but personality too.

Daveroo
January 23rd, 2015, 08:38
im not a jeff gordon fan,nor have i ever been,but i deffinantly respect him as a driver...like harvick..people poopoo him..but he is really pretty good.and i watched jeff back in the day at the lil track at rio linda ,just for context..its back behind McClellan air park ( ex AFB at Sacramento)..i believe its to the west..look at it on google earth..its an odd looking little place,looks more like its a horse run type thing,but its all paved,,there is one of those water ski places right there as well for reference....which if you explore the area..out on PFE road,Fiddyment rd..there are many more...they are used for compition water ski shows ect...this way no weekenders are in the way.

youve all heard of the Pacific fruit exchange?..the trains back in the day were pulled by a steam engine..or three to get over donner summit,the cars were mostly yellow..with black i believe ( ive never seen a real one)..PFE road was a big part of that enterprise,and then Fiddyment road ,the Fiddyment family were the first in the USA to import and then plant pistachio trees,they are not native to the USA,they had thousands of acres of orchards of nothing but pistachios.at one time,all of the pistashios sold in the usa came from them...now the nuts are grown in the San Joaquin valley..(think Fresno/Hanford areas)then trucked up here for processing and packaging.