PDA

View Full Version : Hot memory problems

lefty
January 27th, 2009, 09:08
I have been running 2x1024 Corsair 8500 Dominator modules on my Gigabyte P35-DQ6 board for some time. I got an additional 2 sticks to make it up to 4Gb, but find the board won't take it unless I reduce the memory speed.
Can anyone tell me of a board which will run this memory ?

Socket 775 Intel 8500 dual core, 8800GTX card. (Some of the boards don't have much room for this mother!)

David_L6
January 27th, 2009, 11:51
You may need to bump the voltage of the RAM and/or FSB up a bit.

hey_moe
January 27th, 2009, 17:13
Something I have found out that I have never really understood. If you use all four memory slots it doesn't overclock for chet and will also cause crashes and BSOD. I know on my system even when I up the voltage it still would crash. This new system I just brought 4 sticks of DD3 3. Each stick is 2 gigs a piece. I am starting with just two slots and then will add the third to see what happens.

Butcherbird17
January 27th, 2009, 19:06
By default the board will run it at 800 mhz, you need to up the voltage on the memory. Are you overclocking? To get it to run at 1066mhz change the System Memory Multi (SPD) to 2.40 then up the Cpu Host Frequency (MHZ) till the memory is running at 1066 mhz. You may need to up the FSB and MCH voltage to get the system stable, I dont think you will need to up the voltage on the cpu (e8500) i've seen guys hit 3.5 with same cpu with no voltage increase, but it wont hurt to add some if needed. Also as Moe posted sometimes using up all four memory dimms will cause problems with overclocks. I am using all four with Kinston HyperX memory 4x1 sticks with no problems (specs in sig)

Joe

lefty
January 28th, 2009, 00:25
Thanks guys. Joe, I think we are on territory here which is not for the faint-hearted (me) or someone who doesn't really know what he's doing (also me!).

I always tend to take the easy way out - if it means buying a new motherboard, then so be it. But I can't find out which, if any, will be able to run these four sticks.

I don't have the cash or inclination for a complete upgrade, it just bugs me that these guys produce four memory slots that you can't actually use !

p14u2nv
February 7th, 2009, 15:57
Try here Lefty www.tigerdirect.com (http://www.tigerdirect.com)

Look up your memory and then along the borders of the pages will be listed some crap about people who bought this memory also bought this and that which is nothing more than a marketing ploy for sales. Many times however motherboards are also listed.

Hope you get it worked out.