PDA

View Full Version : A question!

mirage3
January 16th, 2015, 07:15
Hi. Someone of you surely knows that i am repainter. My works are principally for FSX. Now i ask all the other painters if the know a technique to use for paint bare metal paints:

An example here: http://img.planespotters.net/photo/150000/original/N979AN-American-Airlines-Boeing-737-800_PlanespottersNet_150922.jpg

I use Paint.NET

THANKS FOR THE HELP :thumbup::)

ejoiner
January 16th, 2015, 12:29
Hi. Someone of you surely knows that i am repainter. My works are principally for FSX. Now i ask all the other painters if the know a technique to use for paint bare metal paints:

An example here: http://img.planespotters.net/photo/150000/original/N979AN-American-Airlines-Boeing-737-800_PlanespottersNet_150922.jpg

I use Paint.NET

THANKS FOR THE HELP :thumbup::)

You know, I used to be pretty good at bare metal. If you look at avsim.com on my name, you will see a lot of bare metal birds! in FS9, metal was basically done through manipulation of the alpha channel. My best technique was making a black and white negative of the main image then pasting that into the alpha channel, I would then manipulate light and dark to get the effects I wanted. With FSX, this has changed as now there are specular files as well involved. Not quite sure how they work as I havent painted any metal in some time.

I use photoshop as well.

Eric

Roger
January 16th, 2015, 12:48
I remember "Aluminum Overcast" Eric:engel016:.

I believe that full on chrome effect in FsX requires manipulation of the model as well as darkening of the alpha and lightening of the spec textures.

mirage3
January 17th, 2015, 12:28
So there aren't "prefabricated" aluminium or metal textures to put on a new layer? :(

vl82m
January 17th, 2015, 13:25
Usually very glossy, shines a lot!

huub vink
January 17th, 2015, 14:19
As Roger said and only from models which have "shine" enabled. Otherwise the alphas will make the model transparent.

My advice: Download one of John "Bomber_12th" Terrell's shiny T-6 repaints and study the alphas and spec maps.

Cheers,
Huub

hae5904
January 17th, 2015, 14:21
Miro, it's a combination of specular map and diffuse alpha layers........ and the aircraft model design, and that is most important as if it doesn't support metal shine, it's a no go.

Hank

mirage3
January 18th, 2015, 00:52
Thanks. I was thinking if maybe The SkySim Miro 3 does support that functions. You know, before being painted in the camo scheme (and be fitted with canard wings) were painted only in bare metal :D