PDA

View Full Version : Scenery Library Question

IanHenry
January 13th, 2015, 01:12
I currently have two versions of FSX installed, the regular and the Steam one. I also have all of the Horizon U.K photo scenery installed on the regular version which I would like to transfer onto the Steam edition. Is there any way that I can transfer the entries into the FSX SE library without manually entering them myself which to be honest will be quite laborious. I've tried copying the entries from the Scenery cfg file but that didn't help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Ian

hae5904
January 13th, 2015, 01:34
Can't you just add it through your add scenery menu within the Steam edition, and let it point to your Horizon scenery folder located within your regular FSX folder?

Cheers

DaveB
January 13th, 2015, 01:34
I don't have the Steam edition Ian but I can't see why that wouldn't work. I keep copies of my scenery.cfg with GenX (and only GenX.. default scenery + GenX) installed and when I need to reinstall FSX.. I simply use my saved copy and bin the original (new one). It can get a little leary if you have ES areas installed too (including Treescapes) as these tend to move/edit autogen so trees may not appear in some areas but reinstalling Treescapes and your ES scenery generally puts that right.

I always do this on a 'clean' install though.. install FSX, SP's and ACC then change the new scenery.cfg for the saved one. It could be how the steam edition works but other than that.. I can't see why it isn't working for you.
ATB
DaveB:)

GypsyBaron
January 13th, 2015, 08:37
FWIW, I 'share' my addon scenery with my FSX, P3D V2.4 and FSX-SE installs.

In my case I created a separate partition (drive) and move ALL my addon scenery files/folders into that partition at the root.

Then I 'mounted' that 'addon scenery drive' into the EMPTY Addon Scenery folders in the 3 sims. I copied the Scenery.cfg
file from my FSX install into the other 2 sims in the proper location and I was up and running.

If one choose not to create a separate partition one could use a 'junction' to 'connect' the other sim(s) to the FSX Addon Scenery
folder. Just google 'junctions' for your OS.

A simple entry in a Command Prompt window will do the trick.

mklink /j d:\whatever c:\whatever

In my case I would use this:

mklink /j L:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\custom\FSX\Addon Scenery X:\FSX\Addon Scenery

In FSX-SE you delete the 'Addon Scenery' folder as mklink will create the folder'. The icon will look
like a 'shortcut'...a folder with a little arrow.

Here is a link to a page discussing the mklink process.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/278262-mklink-create-use-links-windows.html

Also, IF youtr Scenery.cfg file entries contain the FULL path address to each entry, just putting a copy of your
existing Scenery.cfg in the other sim should work OK.

Paul

IanHenry
January 13th, 2015, 12:13
Many thanks for all the replies. I have tried copying the Scenery cfg into FSX SE but for some rezone it just doesn't seem to recognise it. Funny thing is the Scenery cfg file in FSX doesn't show the entries for the Horizon/Playsim scenery, that only appears when you open the cfg using JustFlights RevolutionX which gives you the option to open the file in order to install that product into the photo scenery. very peculiar!

Ian

Dangerous Beans
January 13th, 2015, 12:37
Your probably copying over the wrong one. Ignore the one in the main FSX folder, you want the one in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX

DaveB
January 13th, 2015, 12:45
Yup.. that's what I thought when I read the reply. You're changing the wrong one Ian:encouragement:

ATB
DaveB:)

IanHenry
January 14th, 2015, 00:38
Thanks Guys, that seems to have done the trick. I hadn't realised that there was two Scenery cfg files. My only problem now is, if I fly one of my A2A aircraft I get a Sim Connect error. I've looked in the FSX SE main folder but I can't find any Sim Connect installers, any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ian

ncooper
January 14th, 2015, 01:52
Go to
Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces

Inside you will see three folders.
Each is named after an FSX version.
In each one you will find an installer for Simconnect,
named Simconnect.msi.
Right click on each one and select install.

Once you have done all three, if you go to Control Panel\Programs and Features, you will
see four installations of Microsoft Flight Simulator Simconnect Client, each with a different
version number.

You should see no more Simconnect errors.

IanHenry
January 14th, 2015, 05:46
Many thanks, I've found the installers. Thanks you everyone for your invaluable help, it's very much appreciated.

Regards,
Ian

IanHenry
January 14th, 2015, 06:47
I'm actually quite stunned by the performance of the Steam edition of FSX. I only bought it because of the offer price as I mainly use P3D those days, but even on my aging i7 920 system I'm getting frame rates of 50-80 fps using the A2A aircraft in rural locations, that's with everything maxed out with the exception of traffic!

Ian