PDA

View Full Version : PDF file print headache.

demorier
January 27th, 2009, 01:04
I have had to get anoughter copy of a stereo instruction manual from the manufacturers as I lost the original one. Problem is I can't print it at any readable size. The original and replacement are 1 double sided large sheet with 4 pages printed on it. I'm trying to find a way of using Adobe Reader 8 to select sections of it and print them for myself at A4 size.
There seems to be some sort of security lock on the pdf file so it cannot be split up....trying to get the "snapshot tool" going but it is greyed out with this particular pdf loaded.....works ok with some other files.:banghead:

Moparmike
January 27th, 2009, 05:37
Can you use any of the Page Handling options in the Print setup screen?

I've done a few manuals at work in 8.5x11 that were originally 1/4 that size. I used the
Page Scaling and set it to "Multiple pages per sheet" and set the "Custom" sub-option to "1 page x 1 page".

Worth a try. If nothing else, you could also grab pretty much any of the Linux Live CDs and try to print the PDF using the XPDF program. XPDF follows all the DRM (digital rights managment) stuff, but I have been able to do some printing of encrypted files with it with few problems.

demorier
January 27th, 2009, 16:34
Gave that a try, thanks anyway MM....but the PDF image just won't split up into different print pieces. Maybe Acrobat will do it ? have to find a copy on anoughter computer somewhere.

GT182
January 28th, 2009, 04:19
Demorier, try Adobe 9. It's got some improvements that might help you out with printing that manual.

Moparmike
January 28th, 2009, 05:42
If you still can't get it, send me the PDF (or send me a linky to DL if it's a big monster). My address is in my profile.
I'll see if I can get any results on my Linux rig.

demorier
January 29th, 2009, 19:23
Thanks for the offer MM. Will try it shortly mate....gotten just a little busy right at the moment.