PDA

View Full Version : Pirates running rampant

DaveSHQ
January 5th, 2015, 15:16
On Steam FSX:SE forums.

pathetic really ...why doesn't the plane work right? Sniff sniff

Mach3DS
January 5th, 2015, 15:22
I wondered what would happen to 3rd party addons with it's intro into the steam world...

StormILM
January 5th, 2015, 15:49
As I've stated before, this is one of the main reasons I avoid many average or non-vetted online communities because almost invariably, you'll run into a flood of such people seeking advice for fixing something they gained illegitimately. I keep hoping there will be a dead end for these people through changes and updates in security capabilities within different platforms and software. I'm not holding my breath, I've dealt with hackers by the bushel for years who've all but ruined First Person Multiplayer Games. They come in all sizes and shapes and ages...

Navy Chief
January 5th, 2015, 17:40
A sure I could probably spend the time to figure out what y'all are talking about, but would someone please explain this post further? Thanks. NC

DaveSHQ
January 5th, 2015, 17:54
Some (not all) threads at STEAM FSX:SE forums asking for help getting aircraft to work that they got from torrent sites....thought it pretty easy to understand myself even by Navy standards.

Navy Chief
January 5th, 2015, 18:35
Some (not all) threads at STEAM FSX:SE forums asking for help getting aircraft to work that they got from torrent sites....thought it pretty easy to understand myself even by Navy standards.

Well, am not embarrassed in the least to say I did not understand. Although I do have FSX-SE installed, I do not follow the forums in Steam. Thanks for the clarification.

DaveSHQ
January 5th, 2015, 20:12
Well thanks for not going off like some half baked college kid at spring break lol. Just having a little inter service rivalry fun with you.

Army vet 88-98

Much respect

emfrat
January 5th, 2015, 23:40
I saw a comment the other day, that the Steam Edition only worked if you were online and logged in to your Steam account. I find that hard to believe. I hope it is not true, because if it is, it will be very dangerous to a lot of users, especially the non-tech-savvy ones. I remember what a great virus distributor Kazaa was, 10 or 12 years back, and when Steam first appeared a few years ago, I kept well away from it. It really is madness to let any third party have free access to your home machine and make automatic updates that you might not even know about, which will infect your machine. Not because Steam is going to do that, but because Steam one day may be hacked.
I know a lot of folk are happy with Steam and have not had any problems. However it does create a mechanism which can allow the wrong sort of people into your computer; that is why it scares me. I have years of experience in industrial safety, and time and time again I have seen people injured by a hazard that had been around for 20 or 40 years. It just needs a tiny change in circumstances to let the mechanism operate - and that is what mechanisms tend to do.

Take care
MikeW

RAS_JF
January 6th, 2015, 00:12
I saw a comment the other day, that the Steam Edition only worked if you were online and logged in to your Steam account.

That's not true. The normal course of events for most poeple is that you are going to be online and logged into Steam anyway. However, you can run Steam quite happily in offline mode.

emfrat
January 6th, 2015, 00:47
That's not true. The normal course of events for most poeple is that you are going to be online and logged into Steam anyway. However, you can run Steam quite happily in offline mode.

Thankyou for clearing that up. I don't want FSX SE anyway, as I have two legit purchases, one unused. I hope the turkey who put out the false info sees this and corrects his post.
Many Thanks
MikeW

Bjoern
January 6th, 2015, 04:46
I hope it is not true, because if it is, it will be very dangerous to a lot of users, especially the non-tech-savvy ones. I remember what a great virus distributor Kazaa was, 10 or 12 years back, and when Steam first appeared a few years ago, I kept well away from it.

If one indulges in piracy, one should better know what one is doing.

And if you want to decrease your chances of being effected by malware on your PC, use Linux as an OS. It's still relatively secure.

For FSXSE, you'll absolutely need to be online to start it. Once it's running, however, you can merrily go offline in whatever way (Steam offline mode, internet disconnect).

ak416
January 6th, 2015, 05:01
Rampant? I think you're being a little dramatic lol. I see one person requesting help with his pirated version of the Aerosoft F-16, and everyone is telling him to they wont help him, that piracy is wrong, not having money isn't an excuse, etc.

If you see posts like this on the Steam forums, report the post for inappropriate content. Moderators appointed by Dovetail will be made aware of the post, and they can remove it if they find that to be necessary.

DaveSHQ
January 6th, 2015, 05:23
Rampant? I think you're being a little dramatic lol. I see one person requesting help with his pirated version of the Aerosoft F-16, and everyone is telling him to they wont help him, that piracy is wrong, not having money isn't an excuse, etc.

That is one. There are others in different threads further down, but are not the topic starters.

DaveB
January 6th, 2015, 06:23
It beggars belief that anyone with pirated software should openly admit it on support forums for that software anyway. Some folk just don't have the brains they were born with!!:biggrin-new: Unfortunately.. being stupid isn't a crime:banghead:

ATB
DaveB:)

Duckie
January 6th, 2015, 06:42
...Unfortunately.. being stupid isn't a crime:banghead:

ATB
DaveB:)

And, as one popular comedian once chided, "you can't fix stupid?" :biggrin-new:

MarkH
January 6th, 2015, 08:17
I hope the turkey who put out the false info sees this and corrects his post.

Listen to the turkey.

vl82m
January 6th, 2015, 08:26
When you open up yourself to a large market you also risk opening yourself to more hackers who might crack your game. Hence if FSX is sold on steam for cheap, the average gamer won't know **** and hence believe 50$ is a rob of the bank when he/she wants to buy the addon. I understand that feeling, and relate to that feeling, as local software where I live is much more reasonably priced, but these vendors also do not open up to the international community.

In fact I believe that selling FSX on steam is a benefit for no one except dovetail, this large influx of demand for addons (by average gamers who do not understand the backstory) will just influence more crackers to write cracks for flight simulation software hence hurting their revenues even more than before. Might be wrong, but this is my opinion.

flaviossa
January 6th, 2015, 08:54
Good point vl82m. I wasn´t aware of this point of view. Make we think again if FSX SE is really good to the comunity!

DarrenL
January 7th, 2015, 04:33
I have only had a quick look around but the words "rampant" and "pirate" seem a little far fetched - https://steamcommunity.com/groups/flightsimulatorX/discussions#

DaveSHQ
January 7th, 2015, 05:08
I have only had a quick look around but the words "rampant" and "pirate" seem a little far fetched - https://steamcommunity.com/groups/flightsimulatorX/discussions#

You thought perhaps the moderators were going to leave those threads up and running....Come on man...

.............EDIT lmao...not even the same discussion group bro...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/

Naismith
January 7th, 2015, 12:35
I have to wonder whether or not (and if it is not) why these people on Steam are not banned or at very least suspended for a period. Otherwise it gives an impression of tacit approval of piracy. I'm sure that would happen here.

StormILM
January 7th, 2015, 12:47
Not to belittle the concern over FS Software Piracy, but it is just a small part of the overall problem with those major gaming communities. I have used a number of First Person MP games like Red Orchestra and similar platforms both on and off steam. The piracy of the software is one issue, the theft of serials & keys is another major problem which coincide with in game hacker activity which is still rampant on a daily basis. It's a major source of irritation to all good and legit users of such software & net based gaming platforms.

Corpse_Grinder
January 7th, 2015, 20:59
The thing I find most humorous is all the posts about the sim crashing, and the "I have a _insert_extremely highend vid card here_ and _insert_ridiculous amount_of_RAM_here_ , why do I only get 15-20 Fps!?" :crybaby:

I have to say, I saw this coming. *sigh*

Another thing that I see over there that is kind of disturbing, is the amount of wise :censored: and condescending remarks given to people who are simply asking for help. There are a lot forums that I wont even post in because of this type of attitude, the "Battlefield 4" forums being one of them. I guess this is what happens when our beloved hobby of simulation is introduced to the "gamer" community. I guess in the end it will weed out those who really want a simulation and those who just want to "play a game" Just my $0.02.

Thank goodness for SOH and other like minded communities. :ernaehrung004:

~Justin

Bjoern
January 8th, 2015, 05:55
To be fair, most inquiries related to FSXSE could be solved by using whatever search engine is available to them. Having to read the same questions over and over and over and over and over again will even drive the nicest people mad at one point.

dhazelgrove
January 8th, 2015, 08:12
To be fair, most inquiries related to FSXSE could be solved by using whatever search engine is available to them. Having to read the same questions over and over and over and over and over again will even drive the nicest people mad at one point.

We're not immune to it here, either.

Dave