PDA

View Full Version : Another False/Misleading F-35 Story Out Now

StormILM
January 5th, 2015, 00:08
With the flood of dis/misinformation on the F-35 project(which yes, some in the press are accurately reporting some of the "true" bug issues of the development), there is yet another totally fabricated story that just came out regarding the F-35's 25mm cannon "not being able to be used until 2019 due to a programming glitch". The actual source of this story has not been clarified but I can shed light on what the actual truth is regarding the plans of the new 25cannon. First off, the way the aiming software works with the Helmet Mounted Display is and will remain highly classified because in reality, there is nothing in existence that comes close to the extreme off angle accuracy this final system will offer. Based on what I have been able to get out of very little publicly disclosed information on this subject, I made my own supposition post on a couple of forums regarding the matter which I will post below in addition to a well informed reply from someone with more technical information than I had at the time:

-I have read this report which is extremely vague. Being that this cannon holds a very limited number of rounds and the targeting capability is via the HMD (and not through a fixed dash mounted HUD) The HMD aiming system would give never before seen capability in high off-angle Deflection Shots), my guess is that the problem is one of calibrating the burst fire sequencing to the continuously computed impact point of the HMD aiming reticle. The easy way around this would be to simply program a graduated aiming funnel or stadia line reticle and collimate it into the FOV of the HMD and then add a simple trigger preset burst fire control command.

The reply:

"The gun capability comes with Block 3F software, and that has long been planned
or release at Q3 of 2017.

Also that article from The Daily Beast has no credible sources, just "an AF official" here, "some pilot" there.

Here's an excerpt that puts things to light:

CONOPS for F-35 CAS w/cannon consist of a high angle strafe at 30 -45 degrees @ 9000 ft of slant range.

The minimum dispersion requirements for the F-35's gun system (cannon, round, fire control/avionics) are extremely exacting: < 3.1 mrad (i.e. 80%of the rounds fall within a circle of 27ft. radius at slant range ).

The cannon itself contributes about 1.4 mrad and there has to be a new round introduced because none of the partners (with one exception) will accept a Depleted Uranium round.

Then there's the requirement for three operationally effective passes with the cannon. Meeting that and the dispersion reqs and the Pk reqs (which necessitated a large round which in turn limits ammo capacity) requires an automatic employment mode where the pilot places the HMD boresight on the ground target (or slews the sensor suite there) and the avionics then provide wind and steering corrections along with "FIRE" cues.

Thisbeing noted, the original and updated plans on the 25mm cannon are not flawed at all nor behind schedule, they were part of a series of planned module integrations and there still may well be further updates on the system to further enhance the effectiveness of the cannon. One possibility could be an ammunition update using an offspring of the new Guided Gun/Cannon Rounds currently in advanced testing stages by DARPA which yes, small projectiles which can change flight path and follow a target. '

So again, separating the wheat from the chaff on such stories, it's easy to see that these loose as a goose stories that spawn in the press are quite often shaky on truth.

Dumonceau
January 6th, 2015, 08:03
Storm,

Would you call the GAO (Governement Acquisition Office) a "dodgy" source?

http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-14-778

or Defensenews.com?

http://archive.defensenews.com/article/20140924/DEFREG02/309240030/GAO-Questions-F-35-Sustainment-Estimates

The Washington Examiner?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/gao-questions-if-the-pentagon-can-afford-the-f-35/article/2553916?custom_click=rss

Bloomberg?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-22/lockheed-martin-f-35-jet-s-software-delayed-gao-says.html

The F-35 is more than likely the most expensive joke that the defense industry has ever pulled on the tax payer.

Before this thread gets ugly, I'm not criticizing you in any way, I just want to point out that the tax payers are being robbed by the military industrial complex. We, the tax payers, are being robbed.

Pushing this kind of faulty airplane on any government is a crime. it is fraud pure and simple and we should not put up with it. We, the tax payers, have rights and our governments should be made accountable for their dodgy acquisitions. if only because they buy this crap with our money! is it too much to ask that our governments spend OUR money in a wise way? I think not! Especially not in a time of global economic crisis.

Dumonceau

Dev One
January 6th, 2015, 10:43
Dumonceau...you are sounding a bit like Mary Goldring.....TSR2 killer!
Keith

Dumonceau
January 6th, 2015, 11:33
Keith,

I was merely pointing out differences in opinions with sources. I cannot see the reason why someone would play "ad hominem" because of criticism of a mere airplane.

Even the airforce is having second thoughts about this plane, so I cannot fathom why this should go unmentionned. If a design is faulty, it should be mentiionned.

Johan

gray eagle
January 6th, 2015, 12:07
Keith,

I was merely pointing out differences in opinions with sources. I cannot see the reason why someone would play "ad hominem" because of criticism of a mere airplane.

Even the airforce is having second thoughts about this plane, so I cannot fathom why this should go unmentionned. If a design is faulty, it should be mentiionned.

Johan

To all concerned.

I have asked Icky to delete my F-35 video thread. Lesson learned not to post videos of Aircraft that the "taxpayers" may not like or become controversial;

especially if they are Belgian taxpayers talking about USA made aircraft. It is time to end this back and forth issue taking now; so I am taking measures to have
that post deleted and will chalk this up to a lesson learned about any future "videos" of aircraft that might displease the membership here.

Edit: The thread has been closed to further comments.... I would of liked that is was flat out deleted. So just let it go.......

gray eagle
January 6th, 2015, 12:15
Before this thread gets ugly, I'm not criticizing you in any way, I just want to point out that the tax payers are being robbed by the military industrial complex. We, the tax payers, are being robbed.

Dumonceau[/QUOTE]

It already has got ugly comrade. See # 5 ^

We the taxpayers? What do ya mean we Tonto? Dude, you being a Belgian, how do you factor that you are a part of "WE" and paid taxes on it?

Don't bother PM'ing me...... I'll delete them unread.......

gray eagle
January 6th, 2015, 12:47
Keith,

Johan

Did you complain like this to Dino Catteno with his F-35 creation?

Did you tell him it was a hog and a waste of taxpayers money, Huh? well... did you?
I think not but you sure did not waste any time letting me know how you felt about the F-35 program
when I posted that video. Now why is that? I'll bet you d/l his F-35 and had a ball and all those negative
vibes didn't even register in your gourd. (American slang for head).

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/

gray eagle
January 6th, 2015, 13:25
Storm,

Would you call the GAO (Governement Acquisition Office) a "dodgy" source?

http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-14-778

or Defensenews.com?

http://archive.defensenews.com/article/20140924/DEFREG02/309240030/GAO-Questions-F-35-Sustainment-Estimates

The Washington Examiner?

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/gao-questions-if-the-pentagon-can-afford-the-f-35/article/2553916?custom_click=rss

Bloomberg?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-03-22/lockheed-martin-f-35-jet-s-software-delayed-gao-says.html

The F-35 is more than likely the most expensive joke that the defense industry has ever pulled on the tax payer.

Pushing this kind of faulty airplane on any government is a crime. it is fraud pure and simple and we should not put up with it. We, the tax payers, have rights and our governments should be made accountable for their dodgy acquisitions. if only because they buy this crap with our money! is it too much to ask that our governments spend OUR money in a wise way? I think not! Especially not in a time of global economic crisis.

Dumonceau

Easy for you to quote American agencies from across the pond and you're not even close to being a US Citizen.

Roger
January 6th, 2015, 13:36
Guys this is going nowhere. Time to close.