PDA

View Full Version : Adding shuttles to catapults?

WombRaider78
January 4th, 2015, 09:29
I have been working on a Forrestal and Kitty Hawk class carrier project for some time now. I was wondering how you would add the catapult "shuttle" to the catapults?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17804&stc=1

Thanks
Warren

SH427
January 4th, 2015, 09:54
I'm not exactly an expert on this but I think is FSX the shuttles are fixed to their position on the Flight Deck. Good reference point to use for the hookup if you don't like drawing big squares on the texture

WombRaider78
January 4th, 2015, 10:41
Here is a nice pic of the 2 ships. Both models were originally 3Dwarehouse models. The Saratoga is about 90% redone by me (only the flight deck outline is from the original author) I added minor things to the Kitty Hawk, but the model is about 90% original. I added all of the attach points myself on both ships using ModelConverterX. There is no way to get in touch with the original authors. I have spent 2 months trying, to no avail. I really want to release these, as both ships are missing from the FSX freeware community. But I would not want to step on anyone's toes in the process.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17806&stc=1

simulloyd
January 4th, 2015, 11:16
Hello, It's great to see that others are interested in getting the Forrestal and Kitty Hawk class carriers into FSX. There are a lot of corresponding era jets available but no carriers predating the Nimitz for freeware.

Just the other day I started making a few mods to the Saratoga which I found on the 3D warehouse as well.

WombRaider78
January 4th, 2015, 11:30
Hello, It's great to see that others are interested in getting the Forrestal and Kitty Hawk class carriers into FSX. There are a lot of corresponding era jets available but no carriers predating the Nimitz for freeware.

Just the other day I started making a few mods to the Saratoga which I found on the 3D warehouse as well.

That looks a lot like the one I started with. I like what you are doing with the CIWS station. The biggest problem with the model on 3D warehouse is that it does not have any depth. It looks more like paper 3D with all edges being paper thin.

Navy Chief
January 4th, 2015, 13:13
Oh, THIS got my interest, as the Sara was the last ship I cruised on.

I hope to start my volunteer at the USN Aviation Museum Library soon, so keep me in mind if you have specific data needs. NC

falcon409
January 4th, 2015, 13:25
I have been working on a Forrestal and Kitty Hawk class carrier project for some time now. I was wondering how you would add the catapult "shuttle" to the catapults?
Thanks
Warren
I am assuming since you posted images of the shuttle that you are asking how to get it to show on the model you're interested in. The answer is, unless you have the source code and want to build the shuttle into the model, plus of course adding the animation to make it work as it should. . .then you can't have it with that model. You can probably add the "function" of the shuttle, but to physically have the shuttle appear as an animated item. . .nope.

WombRaider78
January 4th, 2015, 15:07
I am assuming since you posted images of the shuttle that you are asking how to get it to show on the model you're interested in. The answer is, unless you have the source code and want to build the shuttle into the model, plus of course adding the animation to make it work as it should. . .then you can't have it with that model. You can probably add the "function" of the shuttle, but to physically have the shuttle appear as an animated item. . .nope.

edakridge modeled a shuttle and I added it to the carriers via modelconverterX merge object. Worked good.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17813&stc=1

Thank you edakridge.

Oh, THIS got my interest, as the Sara was the last ship I cruised on.

I hope to start my volunteer at the USN Aviation Museum Library soon, so keep me in mind if you have specific data needs. NC

http://www.navsea.navy.mil/teamships/Inactiveships/Ship_Disposal/Saratoga_drawings.aspx This site has a nice amount of technical drawings on her as well.

Thanks Master Chief.

Warren

fsafranek
January 4th, 2015, 15:49
There is a really fine Kitty Hawk bundled with the Aerosoft F-14.
:ernaehrung004:

WombRaider78
January 4th, 2015, 16:13
There is a really fine Kitty Hawk bundled with the Aerosoft F-14.
:ernaehrung004:

I went with a hardware upgrade for Christmas (http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/cessnapedals.html) instead. I really wanted to get the Tomcat and finally break down and buy the Tacpack/Superbug.

Warren

Navy Chief
January 4th, 2015, 16:35
Thanks Master Chief.

Thanks so much for the promotion to Master Chief (E-9) but alas, I only made it to a lowly E-7:very_drunk:! NC

WombRaider78
January 4th, 2015, 16:37
Thanks so much for the promotion to Master Chief (E-9) but alas, I only made it to a lowly E-7:very_drunk:! NC

LMAO! To think you could have been skipper of a tug boat with the promotion.