PDA

View Full Version : FSX downloads ?

limjack
January 3rd, 2015, 08:36
Hello all, the holiday dust has settled just a bit and now time to download and install all the goodies. Seems like my download file is getting cluttered with so many purchases. Do you guys delete your zip files and file folders to excecute the download into fsx after they are installed?

Thanks
Jim

modelr
January 3rd, 2015, 09:02
NO NO NO!!!! SAVE THEM to either DVD (best) or a spare HDD!!! I do BOTH! If you use WINRAR as your zip file program, you do not have to extract first. At least I don't. Never had a problem. To often some of those files get lost/damaged/hacked on the web. Once you have confirmed yours works, SAVE IT! I do the same with ALL my FS related downloads. Takes up a lot of space, but just two 2GB external HDDs hold it all. If it starts getting full, I transfer some to DVD to make room.

DaveSHQ
January 3rd, 2015, 09:04
Negative

I save all the files to an external hard drive and emails with serial numbers etc i save in my FSX purchase email folder.

Trust me you don't want to have to pay FSPilotshop.com more money to reactivate your download after an HD crash....been there done that.

PS....that was the only store i had to pay. The rest like Flightsimstore.com i was able to recover without paying more. I no longer use FSPilotshop.

limjack
January 3rd, 2015, 09:24
Usually, I am organized with all things in life but FSX has slowly snuck out of control exspecially with these year end sales (some that are still waiting to be downloaded). I have emails saved on the computer, hard copies of emails with order and key numbers in binders, disk with downloads and the download itself (keep in mind all these copies are not 100 pecent in any one area). A hess of a mess indeed! life has been keeping me busy so sitting down to organize my sim crub has taken the back seat. Thanks for your comments :encouragement:

Jim

DaveSHQ
January 3rd, 2015, 09:30
I always keep the .Zip and delete the extracted folder yep.

WarHorse47
January 3rd, 2015, 09:33
In my main download folder, I have subfolders for FSX Aircraft, FSX Paints, FSX Scenery, etc. Within each are subfolders for the products downloaded.

One the files are extracted and installed in FSX, I move the folders to a corresponding download folder on an external drive. They remain there until I reach a specific total size just under 4 Gb, then I burn them to a 4Gb CD. Actually, I burn them to 2 CDs so there is a backup. After testing the CD to make sure there were no problems, I then delete the corresponding folders.

I currently have 157 disks (X2) with downloads - a combination of earlier 700 Mb and 4 GB CDs, FS9 and FSX downloads including freeware, payware and donationware along with any corresponding text files created for capturing registration codes or serial numbers. I label my burned CDs by disk number (sequentially) and date when I created it.

Since the purchases are done electronically, I retain all e-mails into separate folders by developer (RAZBAM, WBS, etc.) so I can always look up when and from who I made the purchase.

Been doin' that for lots of years. :adoration: