PDA

View Full Version : F-35B Ship Suitability Testing

gray eagle
January 3rd, 2015, 06:33
The F-35B short takeoff/vertical landing variant completed ship suitability testing aboard the USS WASP (LHD-1) off the coast of Virginia in October 2011. Combined, F-35B test aircraft BF-2 and BF-4 accomplished 72 short takeoffs and 72 vertical landings during the three-week testing period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki86x1WKPmE

The media and the program critics had predicted that we would burn holes in the deck and wash sailors overboard.
Neither of which happened. You will notice a sailor standing on the bow of the ship as the jet rotates.
That was an intentional part of the sea trials.
No catapult...no hook.... It's a new world out there!
The shape and scope of warfare worldwide just changed.

Dumonceau
January 3rd, 2015, 06:38
Ok, but the F-35 still is an extremely expensive dog.

It's slower than an F-16, less agile, cannot fly in bad weather or lightning (funny considering it's name), the EO system is way behind and most importantly, it is waaaaaaay too expensive. The software is flawed and against a Su-35 in a dogfight, it will loose...

The US and the partner nations would do well do ditch the whole program and sue Lockheed-martin for fraud. Because that is what LM is doing to its customers and the tax payers.

Even the Block 62 F-16's will do a better job.

I'll get off me soapbox now...

Dumonceau

gray eagle
January 3rd, 2015, 07:33

It's slower than an F-16, less agile, cannot fly in bad weather or lightning (funny considering it's name), the EO system is way behind and most importantly, it is waaaaaaay too expensive. The software is flawed and against a Su-35 in a dogfight, it will loose...

The US and the partner nations would do well do ditch the whole program and sue Lockheed-martin for fraud. Because that is what LM is doing to its customers and the tax payers.

Dumonceau

Hey,

I was just passing on what my Father sent to me Okay!!!
I thought this is a cool aircraft and something to share with all here and you come along and deride it all with your unfavorable comments.
Wasn't open to what plane is better then other plane. If I'd of known I'd see comments such as yours
I would of not shared this in the first place. Jeez...

SSI01
January 3rd, 2015, 10:41
Watching those takeoffs reminds one of WWII carriers launching aircraft w/o the cat. How times have changed.

Navy Chief
January 3rd, 2015, 12:40
How times have changed.

That is an understatement and a half.....:very_drunk: NC

StormILM
January 3rd, 2015, 13:38

Dumonceau

Every single time I read comments like this, I easily recognize the talking point sources which come from a mix of sources ranging from ill informed news services and individuals which get their information from entities who are against the program for political reasons(who want the money shifted elsewhere). No personal offense but the information you mention is disinformation/misinformation. The F-35 can actually out turn or maintain turn rates with any non-thrust vectoring jet fighter currently flying and it's High AoA stability is significantly greater than the F-16. Recently, a series of tests were held to vet(and acquit) the F--35's Air Combat Capabilities in which it was run against the F-16C, F-15C, F/A-18E, F-22A and a pair of privately held SU-27 & Mig-29. Simulating the AIM-9X Block II/III integration with the DAS system, not a single one of the opposing fighters ever got a BVR radar or sensor lock or visual cue on the F-35. They were all shot down by a mix of simulated AIM-9X and AIM-120D set ACMI parameters at varying distances from over 60 nm and in as close as vr and including over-the-shoulder shots cued by the DAS system and Helmet. They did in fact push merge ACM just to see if the F-35 could handle the stress of a close in Dogfight where it's advantages might be more at risk. Again, it quickly made the kills and even the F-22 pilots involved in the closed tests came away with a new respect for the F-35's capability. The lethality of the F-35's Sensor and Weapons integration are not and have never been in dispute and based on the non-public tests of it against Legacy systems, the partner nations are totally satisfied the F-35 will deliver as advertised. In reality, the false news sources who make statements about the F-35 not being able to "win a dogfight" laughingly know nothing about the current and cutting edge capability of Air Combat Fighter Weapons. They(those information sources) seemed to be fixated with the notion that legacy type nose-on-tail dogfighting is how Aerial Engagements are won. With current capability of the only two 5th Gen Fighters, legacy fighters and missiles that still fight with such limited aspect capability will be killed by the F-35(and F-22) long before they ever detect or see them(and yes, the DAS will be TO/MSIP integrated into the F-22 and other aircraft over time). We're the only country in the world which such capability and yes, I agree with some here at home that perhaps we've been too generous in sharing the technologies found within the F-35.

With regards to the reports of development problems, yes, they have happened as they do with ALL types of aircraft and machinery that has ever been made. Few seem to remember that aircraft like the F-15, F-16, F-111, AH-64, etc etc were all plagued with development and service integration problems and even then, the same calls for their cancellations and bad press(much if it false or misleading) were abundant even more so than the F-35's bad press. Again, there's a lot of nonsense disinformation out there which almost invariably, the milestones of the program prove wrong the detractors as in past and now highly successful aircraft. BTW, if anyone wants to know what the systems like the F-35 keep coming in over budget and hit with technical issues/delays, take a close detailed look at the political and source procurement system which drive such programs. If we ever had a Federal Law which gutted much of the non-sense and wasteful decision making, our annual defense budget would be easily half what it is now if not lower and programs like the F-35 would come in cheaper and on time. In this case, had the decision makers and law makers left the F-35 alone and not tried to "push it up" on certain time tables, the original service entry date was roughly where it will actually enter service, not that far behind and BTW, no combat aircraft built in the last 40+ years has ever came into service perfectly on schedule or under budget.....

(Edit), Dumonceau, nothing personal on you(not attacking you), there's just a lot more to all of this than meets the eye.

gray eagle
January 4th, 2015, 06:26
Despite all the cost overuns and political minutiae, and the other less then favorable issues and comments such as made by the first gentleman after my post, watching the perfomance
of the plane landing and taking off without a catapult is indeed impressive. Including all blemishes, faults, and shortcomings, (warts and all), I think this version will accomplish the missions that the US Marines have in mind.

Dumonceau
January 4th, 2015, 07:51
Hey,

I was just passing on what my Father sent to me Okay!!!
I thought this is a cool aircraft and something to share with all here and you come along and deride it all with your unfavorable comments.
Wasn't open to what plane is better then other plane. If I'd of known I'd see comments such as yours
I would of not shared this in the first place. Jeez...

GE,

I was criticizing the plane, not you...

gray eagle
January 4th, 2015, 09:02
GE,

I was criticizing the plane, not you...

I know this. Look....let's not amp this up any more then it is Okay???

I was raised by parents that always told me that if you don't have anything good to say then don't say anything at all.
It was a lesson in manners. Which I try to ascribe to even to this day at the age of 70.

Were You?

Dumonceau
January 6th, 2015, 08:23
As you well know, I was raised by my granddad, the RSM of the Regiment I served in. After that, I was raised by the military in the academy. Something you know as well.

Thank you for never ever raising the subject of my parents again. You know my parents had a divorce and the trouble my family endured because of it. Using that knowledge in public is beneath contempt.

But hey, I hope you've enjoyed the jab you took at me, navy boy...

Navtech
January 6th, 2015, 10:21
I was raised by parents that always told me that if you don't have anything good to say then don't say anything at all.

What is good to say and not say ?
Who decides ?
Is a different opinion does not have the right to be called ?
In a democracy all opinions have the right to be heard even if they do not correspond to those we want to hear
Do not accept this is the least of totalitarianism
I think this forum (simouthouse) is a place where each (with respect to each other) has the right to express an opinion
Dumonceau did nothing more than that ... and this opinion in no way involved a member(s) of this forum .. but merely an opinion on a plane and its performance ....
Let us continue to argue about it (like StomILM) ... stay focused on that interesting topic