PDA

View Full Version : New PC

Terry
January 2nd, 2015, 10:26
Looking for suggestions on a PC capable of running FSX close to flat out and the best place to purchase it.

Jafo
January 2nd, 2015, 13:36
You can do what I just did....

Thermaltake Level 10 VL300A9N1N Titanium Limited Edition Case
Corsair ASX 1200I Platinum Certified 1200w Modular PSU
ASUS X99 Deluxe LGA2011v3 MotherBoard
Intel i7 5960 3.00Ghz LGA2011v3 CPU
Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 LGA2011 CPU Cooler
32G Corsair Dominator Platinum [4x8G] 2666MHz DDR4 Ram
ASUS Strix GTX980 4GB GPU
512G Samsung XP941 M.2 PCIe x4 SSD [C]=Win7 Ultimate [H]=Games
240G Corsair Neutron GTX SSD [E]=[Office + Proggies] [hotswap]
240G Corsair Neutron GTX SSD [F]=[Games 2] [hotswap]
3TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata2 HD [G + D] [hotswap]
2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata2 HD [I] [hotswap]
2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata2 HD [J] [hotswap]

Be warned....mine cost me just over $7000 AUD. [and it was DIY].
The Case is sweet but there are plenty cheaper...in fact all probably are...;)

glh
January 2nd, 2015, 14:22

---------- deleted --------------

================================================== ==============
You probably could have bought a nice, clean but used REAL aircraft for that price !!! http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon22.gif

Jafo
January 2nd, 2015, 15:56
================================================== ==============
You probably could have bought a nice, clean but used REAL aircraft for that price !!! http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon22.gif
Not wrong ....probably also have shares in an airport...;)

tommieboy
January 2nd, 2015, 16:46

Thermaltake Level 10 VL300A9N1N Titanium Limited Edition Case
Corsair ASX 1200I Platinum Certified 1200w Modular PSU
ASUS X99 Deluxe LGA2011v3 MotherBoard
Intel i7 5960 3.00Ghz LGA2011v3 CPU
Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 LGA2011 CPU Cooler
32G Corsair Dominator Platinum [4x8G] 2666MHz DDR4 Ram
ASUS Strix GTX980 4GB GPU
512G Samsung XP941 M.2 PCIe x4 SSD [C]=Win7 Ultimate [H]=Games
240G Corsair Neutron GTX SSD [E]=[Office + Proggies] [hotswap]
240G Corsair Neutron GTX SSD [F]=[Games 2] [hotswap]
3TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata2 HD [G + D] [hotswap]
2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata2 HD [I] [hotswap]
2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata2 HD [J] [hotswap]

Just wondering if you are planning to run P3D on that rig?

Tommy

fsxar177
January 2nd, 2015, 17:14
Go to www.ecollegepc.com, and do their custom build gamer series Intel machine. Add what you want, including a mid-grade Nvidia..and enjoy the results. VERY cost effective.
I'm on my 3rd FS rig from them, always good results.

- Joseph

ejoiner
January 2nd, 2015, 17:41
Looking for suggestions on a PC capable of running FSX close to flat out and the best place to purchase it.

I have built my own units for the last several years. However, since I have Lenovo as a customer IRL, I purchased a Lenovo Erazer X510 desktop. GREAT purchase. Wicked good machine with native overclocking ability. Highly recommended for a factory built gamining machine at not too much money. I did put in a lot of extra RAM up to 32GB just because I wanted to, but wasnt really necessary.

make sure to check outlet.lenovo.com for discounted or refurbed units. I know from personal experience, most of the time the "refurb" units are actually brand new.

PHo17
January 3rd, 2015, 00:49
For FSX:

CPU: Intel i5 or i7 (i5 will do because FSX doesn't benefit of hypertrading) and as much clockable as one can afford (clock rate is very important for FSX)

GPU: Middle grade NVidia or AMD (ATI) with 2 GB of memory is enough for FSX. NVidia has more variety of settings than AMD. If you play also other games, get as good as you can afford.

RAM: Absolute minimum is 8 GB. No more is needed if you play just FSX.

OS: Windows 7 or 8.x are both good but absolutely 64 bit system (is there any other for sale anymore?)

I think that the rest goes for what anybody likes himself.

Pekka

Dumonceau
January 3rd, 2015, 03:57
For FSX:

CPU: Intel i5 or i7 (i5 will do because FSX doesn't benefit of hypertrading) and as much clockable as one can afford (clock rate is very important for FSX)

GPU: Middle grade NVidia or AMD (ATI) with 2 GB of memory is enough for FSX. NVidia has more variety of settings than AMD. If you play also other games, get as good as you can afford.

RAM: Absolute minimum is 8 GB. No more is needed if you play just FSX.

OS: Windows 7 or 8.x are both good but absolutely 64 bit system (is there any other for sale anymore?)

I think that the rest goes for what anybody likes himself.

Pekka

Agree completely! Just take a good cooler as well, so you can at least overclock to 4 Ghz! For both FSX as P3D v2.4, 4GHz seems to be the sweet spot!

I would personally go for a Geforce GTX 970, as I have just bought one myself and am elated about it! Also, an SSD for your sim(s) is a very nice thing to have!!

Dumonceau

Jafo
January 3rd, 2015, 04:08
Just wondering if you are planning to run P3D on that rig?

Tommy

Tommy ...am planning to run all sorts of things....as I had done in my previous system....difference is that where I was plodding along over YMML at 12fps I'm now doing it at 30.
Am yet to play with overclocking.
Interesting 'test' is via the Resident Evil 5 benchmarking demo...the oldie was a i7 920 with a GTX 590 ...got ave of 144fps.... but this thing gets 251fps....;)

PHo17
January 3rd, 2015, 05:17
I would personally go for a Geforce GTX 970, as I have just bought one myself and am elated about it! Also, an SSD for your sim(s) is a very nice thing to have!!

Dumonceau

I forgot the SSD. It isn't absolutely neccessary but you save prices of coffee or tea cups you use while wating for FSX to load :biggrin-new:.

Dumonceau
January 3rd, 2015, 05:23
I forgot the SSD. It isn't absolutely neccessary but you save prices of coffee or tea cups you use while wating for FSX to load :biggrin-new:.

EPIC!!!! Just epic!!! :D

tommieboy
January 3rd, 2015, 07:22

Well....I've started to drink black coffee again in 2015, since sugary drinks (juices, sodas, etc.) are out for 2015, so I might as well enjoy my cup of coffee. Never really liked tea.

Tommy

modelr
January 3rd, 2015, 08:01
Just a side note on load times. I've discovered that if you have a lot of the PhotoReal states/countries/cities, they are what slows down load speeds more than anything else. They also take up the most memory space. Turn off what you are not using via the scenery library. If you want to fly some other place than your usual, load your default, turn on where you want to go, then turn it off when you are done. Speeds up load times tremendously!!! My load times went from almost an hour!! to 2 1/2 - 3 minutes!! I left the four states surrounding my home state,(Iowa) plus cities in those states, and all of California's and Nevada, Arizona on. My FSX and P3D are on separate SSD's, while the scenery is on a central 3GB high speed HDD.

I need to get into habit of using a scenery cfg. editing program outside the sim before flying.

Even as big/powerful as my machine is, it can be brought to it's knees when some overdone, not optimized scenery is encountered. My system still is not optimized, yet, either.

fxsttcb
January 3rd, 2015, 09:08
Because FSX and P3D are CPU hungry, you'll want speed, and that comes with overclocking.
Overclocking requires a "K" suffix CPU ie: i7-4790K. BTW, that CPU has the fastest stock speed available in an Intel Haswell CPU: 4.0GHz, Turbo to 4.4GHz and lots of overclocking headroom.

These sites have Budget Gaming Laptops and Customizeable Desktops:
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/category/configurator/
http://www.ibuypower.com/ibppages/CustConfig.aspx
http://www.xoticpc.com/index.html

Of the three, CyberPowerPC has the brodest range of options.
This should run FSX/P3D very well http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/PBET130/ , but, I suggest the Z97 Configurator with an i7-4790K, 16GB of the fastest RAM your budget allows, and a GTX 760(minimum).
The above, Overclocked(extreme w/ 2x120mm h20), SSDs for Windows, and FSX, with a GTX 970, rig should run with the big dogs...Don

tommieboy
January 3rd, 2015, 10:16
Just a side note on load times.....

All, very good points!

Thanks,

Tommy

PHo17
January 4th, 2015, 04:05
Just a side note on load times. I've discovered that if you have a lot of the PhotoReal states/countries/cities, they are what slows down load speeds more than anything else. They also take up the most memory space. Turn off what you are not using via the scenery library. If you want to fly some other place than your usual, load your default, turn on where

Interesting. Do you know for sure that FSX loads all photosceneries into memory - even those you don't use just then?

I have a lot of those and this would explain running out of memory sometimes on areas there is much more memory consuming stuff.

Pekka

Daveroo
January 4th, 2015, 09:29
can someone explain to me..in idiots terms.. how you put the OS (win7-64) on one drive,FSX on a second drive,and the scenery on a third?..how do you break up FSX,or separate it up so it all runs "smoothly"?

ive yet to get my new system,but its allways on my mind,when i get it,i will be using FSX, and Asseto Corsica and train sim 2015 for games.and then my browser ofcourse,i also use google earth often,in summer it gets turned on and runs in the background all day so i can look up street addresses for fires in a hurry,i also use Delorme topo-10 for the fire reasons as well.i also have a bad habit of "borrowing" photos off the net..trucks,fire trucks,old super modified cars,cars,planes,ect...

if i wanted to do all of the above, could i..
OS on main SSD and have the browser ect on it.
a SSD for FSX,(how many GBs/TB?)
one for "steam" (Asseto corsica,train sim)
one for my delomre programs,,topo and streets
and one for photo storage as well as photoshop ect

which should actually be SSD's? and which should be the sata HD's?
and because of the other programs ect,im thinking min 32gb ram,4gb GPU,liquid cooling,but how many case fans?..or are they important to a liquid cooling system?..

i have litened to whats been said to me before by the differant fellas on here..but im still confused,,mostly because i dont understand how to seperate all the stuff when loading..meaning..i get my system,it has all the drives installed..and the win 7-64 OS on the "main" HD/SSD...but how do i install my programs to all the seperate drives?.. and how many do i really need?..

confused dip in california...

txnetcop
January 4th, 2015, 14:10
Dave if you buy a 250 GB SSD you don't need to separate your scenery from FSX-it is doubtful even with Orbx you will run out of drive space. I've been building FSX,and X-Plane systems for 10 years and have never had one hiccup or slow-down of FSX on a fast SSD with a good Intel i5 or i7 processor leading the charge...and this goes back to the old i7 920 socket 1366 days. I have always OC'd to 4Ghz or better, however.

Naismith
January 4th, 2015, 14:41
My FSX is 277Gb in size. Takes forever starting up though. :biggrin-new:

txnetcop
January 4th, 2015, 15:03

Good Lord! I have never gone over 189 with all the Orbx stuff...you are a true diehard FSXer!

PHo17
January 4th, 2015, 23:35

Mine is 235GB at the moment and still growing. Waiting for 500GB SSD drive's prices going down.

:biggrin-new:

Terry
January 5th, 2015, 01:47
Mine is 235GB at the moment and still growing. Waiting for 500GB SSD drive's prices going down.

:biggrin-new:

I just bought a 500GB Seagate for $69 from Best Buy to back up my old PC before it gasps it's final breath. It seems a fair price and it works well.

PHo17
January 6th, 2015, 00:35
That must be HDD not SSD?

Jafo
January 6th, 2015, 01:45
That must be HDD not SSD?
Clearly. SSDs are cheap-er than they were....but not quite that good yet...;)

BTW....currently my FSX is on a partitioned bit of a 512 [the lion's share] with the OS on the smaller....
but it's an M.2 x4, so not limited by SATA bottlenecks....price of the critter was AUD $611 ...but you need the appropriate MoBo, etc to use it correctly...;)

Terry
January 6th, 2015, 02:38
Clearly. SSDs are cheap-er than they were....but not quite that good yet...;)

BTW....currently my FSX is on a partitioned bit of a 512 [the lion's share] with the OS on the smaller....
but it's an M.2 x4, so not limited by SATA bottlenecks....price of the critter was AUD $611 ...but you need the appropriate MoBo, etc to use it correctly...;)

I bought it on 1-2-15. It is solid state and cost $65.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate-backup-plus-slim-500gb-external-usb-3-0-portable-hard-drive-black/8808688.p?id=1218897640425&skuId=8808688

PHo17
January 6th, 2015, 04:30
It is thin and it is fast but it isn't SSD. Inside the STCD500102 there is a spinning HDD.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/994358-REG/seagate_stcd500102_slim_portable_drive.html

Terry
January 6th, 2015, 04:38
It is thin and it is fast but it isn't SSD. Inside the STCD500102 there is a spinning HDD.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/994358-REG/seagate_stcd500102_slim_portable_drive.html

It seems the SOB lied to me.

Jafo
January 6th, 2015, 05:21
It seems the SOB lied to me.
SSDs are the same form-factor as Laptop platter HDs ....which is what you'd have gotten for that price.

In my new system I also had 2 'normal' SSDs [it's a long story] both are 240G Corsair Neutron GTX SSDs at $279 AUD.... so you see a 500gig for $69 is a 'steal' [for someone]...;)