PDA

View Full Version : A question for USN aviation vets.....

Navy Chief
December 31st, 2014, 19:02
I don't know if anyone has an answer for me, but am wondering what happens to USN aviation SDO (Squadron Duty Officer) logbooks, after so many years have passed?

I tried searching US Navy archive websites, but nothing.

Does anyone know? Thanks, NC

TARPSBird
January 1st, 2015, 00:12
They are probably stored in that same warehouse where they stored the Ark of the Covenant at the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark". :biggrin-new:

Victory103
January 1st, 2015, 04:55
Just remember closing them out as the ASDO, and stuffing them in a desk drawer. Maybe an admin (YN) type might know if there is some requirement and how long to keep them.

gray eagle
January 1st, 2015, 09:12
I've seen ship logs preserved and posted on certain tin can reunion pages. If the squadron in question has a web site, maybe they posted those logbooks. I've seen other
Navy outfits do the same. My first command USS Dehaven DD-727 have them posted (Deck Logs)

under documents deck logs:

http://www.ussdehaven.org/

(http://www.ussdehaven.org/)

Roadburner440
January 1st, 2015, 14:03
Well Chief I can tell you what currently happens to them. All SDO/Quarterdeck logs (or any logs for that matter of this type) are kept for 2 fiscal years, and then discarded. Same thing with our work center passdown logs in squadrons (not sure for the ship types). That is in accordance with the SORN OPNAVINST 3120.32c. Probably won't find it online. Is a long and boring read. I know for us they go upstairs to Admin when we close one out to open a new one. What happens to them after that though I am pretty certain they are destroyed to comply with OPSEC. Obviously classified material is a whole other ballgame, and thank god I don't deal with any of that. :dizzy: All I know is I would hate being an Admin type dealing with that stuff. Glad I just bang on aircraft with hammers and turn wrenches, lol. Just have to know this stuff for the exams.

Navy Chief
January 1st, 2015, 16:46
Thanks for the info, Steve. Now that you mention it, I DO remember that SDO logbooks, when filled, would get put in a file cabinet in either Admin or Ops. I just thought it would be interesting to see some of them; granted, the majority of entries would be snooze enducing. NC

Roadburner440
January 2nd, 2015, 07:52
Yeah I know most of them are pretty boring, lol.. My work center logs are always filled with all of the JCN's fixed, and statuses on parts and other MAFs. I know when I first came in circa 2003 they used to retain a lot of the logs, but over the last few years the Navy has been working on the whole "paperless Navy" that I have heard about my entire career. Even the NAMP program binders and such you were accustomed to have been pretty much eliminated. I remember having a binder for each of the 40 some odd programs, but now you have a master cross reference. Then for programs like hyd contam, tool control, or NAMDRP that require specific documentation to be kept are the only binders that remain. Most of that stuff is only kept for as long as you have the equipment, or 6 months now whichever is shorter. Then all of the Command level log books are kept for shorter periods before being destroyed. A lot of things have gone, or are going though. They completely eliminated paper service records about 3 years ago (still have mine in my safe just in case), and probably the next thing to go will be the aircraft ADB's since they are now electronically done in the new NALCOMIS. I am just patiently awaiting the day we lose all power, or someone takes the servers down and then as a service we can't do squat. I know if I were a pilot I wouldn't be betting my lunch on taking a bird I couldn't review the ADB for cause the computer is down. :banghead: Will see. I have a feeling we are doing all this now only to undo it in the future.