PDA

View Full Version : Some bad news, but nothing that can't be fixed...

Rami
December 31st, 2014, 09:25
Good morning,

I woke up to my wife telling my daughter "your father is going to kill you, and me!" I lied there thinking..."this can't be good." My wife was using my laptop this morning to check her e-mail, and my daughter jumped on the chair when my wife wasn't looking and spilled some of her coffee on my laptop. She tried to clean it up quickly, but some damage was done to it.

Fortunately, the coffee had cooled down and she doesn't put a lot of sugar in it. It knocked out the track pad and some of the keys are sticking, but most of the sensitive electronics (the screen, wireless, disk drive, hard drive) are undamaged. And, it just so happened that I did a full backup of CFS2 and everything else last night, including making a new restore point. I also have sensitive files on my laptop inaccessible to any tech supporters, because I wrote some simple batch files and put such data in a "Private" folder that not even my wife knows the pass codes for.

This is precisely why I got the 2-year accident protection program, for an event like this. It's also why my daughter is grounded for a full week.

Wayland
December 31st, 2014, 10:04
Only grounded for a week? I would have grounded her for Life and and a day!

Steve

Rami
December 31st, 2014, 10:22
Only grounded for a week? I would have grounded her for Life and and a day!

Steve

Steve,

True, but I also tempered my response when I remembered all the things I broke or damaged of my parents as I was growing up.

Wayland
December 31st, 2014, 11:41
True, very true. Considering her probable age, for life is probably a bit over the top. If she is under 13, grounding till age 18 is probably enough.:biggrin-new:

Steve

Shadow Wolf 07
December 31st, 2014, 12:13
OUCH!!! And isn't that your brand new computer, the one you bought this summer, when I bought mine? :banghead:

Rami
December 31st, 2014, 12:57
OUCH!!! And isn't that your brand new computer, the one you bought this summer, when I bought mine? :banghead:

Greg,

Yeuperoo. :rocket:

Devildog73
December 31st, 2014, 20:00
Place it in a big bag of uncooked rice over night.

Then while still off, spray the keyboard with compressed air.

Wipe with hand cleaning wipe.

Good as new.

Blood_Hawk23
December 31st, 2014, 20:27
Or use some IPA and that should take away the stickiness.

Don't be too hard on her. They growup so fast that these moments you'll look back and Laugh.

My daughter is 14 now and she is grounded till 90. But thats to keep the boys away. LOL

I look back now and don't know where the time has gone.

At least you have the warrenty. Make them give you a new one.

highpockets
January 1st, 2015, 08:45
Sounds like an innocent act. Remember, the laptop is a "thing". She is a person and specifically yours! :adoration:
I look back on the years and wished I had done some things differently with mine. Seems your "punishment " is reasonable.
Happy New Year--all will be OK