PDA

View Full Version : RAZBAM Harrier Plus, Vertical Take-Off Procedure

gray eagle
December 23rd, 2014, 07:23
Thanks to Larry Zambrano's video on how to make a VTO in the Harrier, I was able to do that myself. If you bought this and are having issues like I was then this video is for you.
I did learn there is one version of their Harrier that is better suited for this VTO, namely no tanks or Ordnance. I noticed the way in which Larry makes the mouse move over the
nozzle lever to make it move back and forth. The video illustrates this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SCn85eujB4

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17220&stc=1

hschuit
December 23rd, 2014, 08:44
Funny how that video exactly shows what the problem is with the flight dynamics. It is nearly impossible to do a smooth transition from STOL/VTOL to conventional flight - just start watching at 3:15 and see the violent pitch movement during the transition. I have seen quite a few RW Harriers on the move but never did I see them doing this. I kept the RAZBAM Harrier because it has the best looks, I only do conventional take-offs/landings with it. If I want to do STOL/VTOL I use the UKMIL, Wilco and SSW models.

gray eagle
December 23rd, 2014, 09:56
Funny how that video exactly shows what the problem is with the flight dynamics. It is nearly impossible to do a smooth transition from STOL/VTOL to conventional flight - just start watching at 3:15 and see the violent pitch movement during the transition. I have seen quite a few RW Harriers on the move but never did I see them doing this. I kept the RAZBAM Harrier because it has the best looks, I only do conventional take-offs/landings with it. If I want to do STOL/VTOL I use the UKMIL, Wilco and SSW models.

Just for grins, I tried the UKMIL Harrier and the one thing it has going for it besides being free is that the nozzle is easier to control with the F7 and F8 keys which makes the transition from vstol to fwd flight a lot easier.,. The cockpit switches IMHO did not seem as refined as the Razbam but then you get what you pay for. :teapot:

Naismith
December 23rd, 2014, 10:57
Aside from all that I noted the use of HyperCam. New one for me. Will give that a try.:untroubled:

jagl04
December 23rd, 2014, 11:34
The problem with the Razbam Harrier is not vertical take off. That is not usual or necessary with a Harrier, and it is just a question of weight.
The problem is that Harriers usually land using vertical landing, and the flight model offered by Razbam for that is complex and sometimes extrange.
They have designed the better external and internal model, but the flight model gives a great chance to their competitors.

simulloyd
December 23rd, 2014, 14:24
I am most comfortable using Ctrl F2 to lower nozzles and Ctrl F3 to raise them. During my transition to and from VSTOL/VTOL I hold Ctrl with small finger while continuously adjusting nozzles with middle finger on F2 and 1st finger on F3. I would like to be able to map those commands to the paddle switch on my Saitek X45 and separate my rudder pedal mapping to have full hands on throttle while making the adjustments.

kdfw
December 23rd, 2014, 16:28
key to getting a smooth v takeoff and ff and ff to v land is neutral control input when ias transitions thru 99kts. you should trim the aircraft so as to briefly go hands off controllers when you hit 99kts.

i think razbam should've masked controller input during this transition and gradually increment the controller value to fix the issue....

my throttle controller (old tm hotas cougar) has an analog antenna axis at my thumb so that controls the nozzle angle, very smooth and allows precise control. aside from the 99kt transition issue, the vtol of the razbam is quite acceptable to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymakmYXLJg4

StormILM
December 23rd, 2014, 18:09
In general, I am very happy with this model but the Vertical Flight Envelope is tricky but manageable. I only wish there was an optional gauge and aircraft config file so users could opt for using the RCB gauge options as a user tweak.

Here's my video of my 24 hour old testing of the model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEWfoA-y-58

gray eagle
December 23rd, 2014, 18:41
I am most comfortable using Ctrl F2 to lower nozzles and Ctrl F3 to raise them. During my transition to and from VSTOL/VTOL I hold Ctrl with small finger while continuously adjusting nozzles with middle finger on F2 and 1st finger on F3. I would like to be able to map those commands to the paddle switch on my Saitek X45 and separate my rudder pedal mapping to have full hands on throttle while making the adjustments.

WoW!!! Thanks for the tip!!:encouragement:

I tried that and it works, sure beats switching views from outside and going to cockpit view just to adjust that nozzle control stick.
The way I was doing it, was like driving and taking eyes off the road to look at something in my car.
I use a Logitech extreme 3D Pro and would like to map that to my joy stick too.

Doing like you said sure makes for a better transition for landing. :encouragement:

gray eagle
December 23rd, 2014, 18:54
In general, I am very happy with this model but the Vertical Flight Envelope is tricky but manageable. I only wish there was an optional gauge and aircraft config file so users could opt for using the RCB gauge options as a user tweak.

Here's my video of my 24 hour old testing of the model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEWfoA-y-58

Wow....That is a very impressive video you made. You did what I had in mind to try; landing on that LHA 4 (USS NASSAU?). That was a nice landing. I was surprised to see you deck launch
off of that ship and not go nozzles full down. All in all, I am pleased and happy to of bought the Razbam Harrier yesterday and on sale at that. :adoration: