PDA

View Full Version : FSX Steam on sale for only $5! Limited time only!

Gibbage
December 18th, 2014, 09:52
http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/

For those who dont know what Steam is, its a cloud based game distribution network. You buy your game, and install it online on any computer you log into. I have been using Steam for years with no issues and have many games through them. I highly recommend using Steam.

From what the developers said, they have fixed some bugs, and most 3rd party content should still work. I hope further development continues as competition is ALWAYS a good thing.

Even if you already have FSX, NOT having to install from CD's and download X Y AND Z patch is TOTALLY worth 5$. Im also happy to support any developer willing to continue supporting FSX.

Please share you experiences here. Ill be testing both my products (Seabee and Sportstar) tonight and post the results.

Gibbage
December 18th, 2014, 10:12
From the developer on Facebook regarding 3rd party add-on's

"There are so many add-ons currently available for FSX that we cannot promise that all of them will work with no issues. FSX: Steam Edition is installed in a different way to the boxed version and occupies a different location so it is possible that some add-ons may not work, but rest assured that we have made every effort to ensure that as many of them as possible work. Where add-ons do not immediately function with FSX: Steam Edition we will try to work with the community, developer or publisher of the add-on to find the solutions as needed. Again, we cannot promise that 100% of all add-ons released over the history of FSX will work with FSX: Steam Edition, but we are committed to trying."

Navy Chief
December 18th, 2014, 10:14
Good enough for me. For $5, it is worth a try. I already have a Steam account with games I don't play. But will give this a go.

NC

NSS
December 18th, 2014, 10:20
Ģ3.99 here in the UK.

A no brainer for FSX Gold. That includes the Acceleration update and the two service packs.

I sold my FSX for Ģ5.00 a year or so ago, as I was not really using it. I am now back into my flight sim`s, so this is a great deal.

Downloading as I type. 10GB http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/smilies/pop4.gif

Kev

hairyspin
December 18th, 2014, 10:24
Cheers Gibbage, thanks for the HU!

fsafranek
December 18th, 2014, 12:33
Good enough for me. For $5, it is worth a try. I already have a Steam account with games I don't play. But will give this a go.

NC
Hi Navy Chief.

If you have installed it can you answer a question for me? Does it go under the "Steam" folder or "Microsoft Games"? I can't imagine why they would do the latter but am very interested.
Maybe a screen shot in Explorer from the root of the drive to the root of Steam/FSX? I'm basically trying to see if it would be possible to have both installed without interfering with each other and if an installer can figure out which to go to. All without mucking up my current install.

YoYo
December 18th, 2014, 12:53
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Gibbage http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=924583#post924583)
From the developer on Facebook regarding 3rd party add-on's

"There are so many add-ons currently available for FSX that we cannot promise that all of them will work with no issues. FSX: Steam Edition is installed in a different way to the boxed version and occupies a different location so it is possible that some add-ons may not work, but rest assured that we have made every effort to ensure that as many of them as possible work. Where add-ons do not immediately function with FSX: Steam Edition we will try to work with the community, developer or publisher of the add-on to find the solutions as needed. Again, we cannot promise that 100% of all add-ons released over the history of FSX will work with FSX: Steam Edition, but we are committed to trying."

This isnt good news.
Price is shocked but I see
-80%

4,99€, not 5$ :).

JimmyRFR
December 18th, 2014, 13:16
Pricing is region specific; for Canada it shows as $5.59. Quite a deal, really.

edit:

It's also worth noting that it's currently sitting at #5 in the top sellers list.

anthony31
December 18th, 2014, 13:20
At that price how can you say no?

Even the full price isn't too bad.

If enough people buy it that will be a good indicator to dovetail that there is a big enough market for them to work on a next gen flight sim.

Be interesting to see if the ORBX central program works with Steam FSX. I doubt it will work as is at the moment as the file locations will be all different.

For any simple addons that don't write to locations within FSX then I'd expect them to work as normal. Just install them to the new Steam FSX folder and you should be good to go.

EDIT: But stuff with complex copy protection etc may also not work (eg PMDG as Jimmy points out below).

Hanimichal
December 18th, 2014, 13:23
it is depends on which country you are
Here in Brazil just bought by 9,19 R$ it is equal 3,35 U$ :-P

JimmyRFR
December 18th, 2014, 13:24
I was just browsing the Steam discussion forums; it looks like some of the complex stuff such as PMDG isn't compatible at this point.

Montie
December 18th, 2014, 13:42
Bought it, I know its all default, but I do think I am getting a bit better performance (DX9). Maybe my eyes are deceiving me, but I think the DX9 self shadowing looks better..

Frank, the installation path is Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX

Navy Chief
December 18th, 2014, 13:46
Hi Navy Chief.

If you have installed it can you answer a question for me? Does it go under the "Steam" folder or "Microsoft Games"? I can't imagine why they would do the latter but am very interested.
Maybe a screen shot in Explorer from the root of the drive to the root of Steam/FSX? I'm basically trying to see if it would be possible to have both installed without interfering with each other and if an installer can figure out which to go to. All without mucking up my current install.

All good questions. I can only tell you at this point that it DOES get installed in the "Steam" folder. I began downloading around 12:30 CST, and currently it is at about 70% completion. Will report back, once installed. NC

TARPSBird
December 18th, 2014, 14:37
So if I understand the installation path correctly, the Steam version FSX files should end up in your Steam folder and remain a separate install from whatever you've assembled on your previously installed CD-version FSX. Am I correct? I need a stock installation but I don't want to endanger what I already have, it would take forever to rebuild it.

Gibbage
December 18th, 2014, 15:03
So if I understand the installation path correctly, the Steam version FSX files should end up in your Steam folder and remain a separate install from whatever you've assembled on your previously installed CD-version FSX. Am I correct? I need a stock installation but I don't want to endanger what I already have, it would take forever to rebuild it.

It will make its own new folder and not alter your current FSX install.

ak416
December 18th, 2014, 15:08
However, they do share the same AppData folder if I recall correctly, so I highly suggest backing that up first.

GypsyBaron
December 18th, 2014, 15:24
At that price how can you say no?

-SNIP_
Be interesting to see if the ORBX central program works with Steam FSX. I doubt it will work as is at the moment as the file locations will be all different.

-SNIP-

One can easily "share" the OrbX folder(s) between two installs simply by moving all the OrbX files to the ROOT of a drive/partition and then
mounting that drive/partition in the EMPTY OrbX folder of the install.

I have done this in the past to share the OrbX 'folder' and my 'Addon Scenery' folder with my FSX in Win7 and my FSX in XP on
a dual-boot setup.

I have a new gaming system now with just Win7 Pro x64 but 2 user accounts. One for FSX and one for P3D. I have the OrbX folder configured as a mounted drive in FSX. I haven't installed P3D yet but once I do, that drive will get mounted in the nP3D 'OrbX' empty folder.

This is all done via the Windows 'Manage' 'Storage' feature.

Paul

GypsyBaron
December 18th, 2014, 15:28

It is the registry keys and the location and names of the files and folders OUTSIDE of the FSX or Steam FSX-SE install folder that you need to be concerned with.

As long as THOSE are unique to each version you will be able to run both FSX and FSX-SE side by side with no interaction, as I understand it at this point.

Paul

Navy Chief
December 18th, 2014, 15:31

Yes, well, I am not quite sure about that. This is the popup I just got during install, and I stopped the install at that point, until I get some advice on what to do.

My Steam Folder for FSX on the same hard drive as my disc version of FSX. The popup says I need to do a backup of my FSX config. Not sure how to do that, for one. NC

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16965&stc=1

fsafranek
December 18th, 2014, 15:38
Frank, the installation path is Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX
Thanks Montie.

Would be nice to be able to buy it (to get the price) but not install it at this time, if ever.
:ernaehrung004:

Navy Chief
December 18th, 2014, 15:46
Thanks Montie.

Would be nice to be able to buy it (to get the price) but not install it at this time, if ever.

Am fairly certain you can do just that, and install later. Might want to doublecheck, but think so. NC

Gibbage
December 18th, 2014, 15:59
You do not need to install it when you buy it. You can install it whenever you wish.

As for that message, it makes sense. Its trying to clerify that you will have TWO copy's of FSX on your drive, and if you install an add-on in one, it will NOT show up on the other. What they are asking you to do is back up and remove the old FSX, and keep the new FSX (Steam) as your primary, to avoid confusion. Seems like good advice.

Navy Chief
December 18th, 2014, 16:12
You do not need to install it when you buy it. You can install it whenever you wish.

As for that message, it makes sense. Its trying to clerify that you will have TWO copy's of FSX on your drive, and if you install an add-on in one, it will NOT show up on the other. What they are asking you to do is back up and remove the old FSX, and keep the new FSX (Steam) as your primary, to avoid confusion. Seems like good advice.

Yep, but I am not going to uninstall my current FSX install. For five bucks, I thought I would give this a try, but am not going to uninstall what I have now.

I have my FSX installed on a SSD drive, but config files, etc... on a different drive. NC

GypsyBaron
December 18th, 2014, 16:18
Thanks Montie.

I just did that. Created an account and purchased the Steam edition and then logged off.

I may or may not install it at a later date, depending upon how this all shakes out. Still too many
open questions that need definitive answers like 'will FSUIPC4 work?' and 'can one still do a direct connect in MP?'

Those two items are an absolute must for me to install this product.

Paul

GypsyBaron
December 18th, 2014, 16:24

No where, as far as I can see, does it ask or imply nthat you should 'remove' your 'old copy'.

I believe that is is saying that a prudent user would back up the current FSX files/folders that reside OUTSIDE the FSX directory...those in
your appdata\users area just so that a 'miss step' doesn't destroy them.

Reading in other forums on the registry keys used they seem to be completely separate from those used by FSX. This would/should
allow both to reside on the same system without interference. However, that said, I am going to wait until I see evidence of that
before I risk the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars that I have invested in FSX at this point!

Paul

Portia911
December 18th, 2014, 16:25
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=16965&stc=1

Hhhmm, so is the last sentence there saying future purchased add-ons will have to be associated with your old FSX or the Steam version, but not both? And if so, where does that leave all the add-ons you currently have associated with your old FSX version? Will you have to buy them again on Steam if you want to also have them in FSX Steam version?

The attractive intro price notwithstanding, this doesn't appear to be something to rush into.

Navy Chief
December 18th, 2014, 17:13
No where, as far as I can see, does it ask or imply nthat you should 'remove' your 'old copy'.

I believe that is is saying that a prudent user would back up the current FSX files/folders that reside OUTSIDE the FSX directory...those in
your appdata\users area just so that a 'miss step' doesn't destroy them.

Reading in other forums on the registry keys used they seem to be completely separate from those used by FSX. This would/should
allow both to reside on the same system without interference. However, that said, I am going to wait until I see evidence of that
before I risk the hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars that I have invested in FSX at this point!

Paul

Thanks, Paul, for that info. I too, will wait for more reports about all of this. NC

Rudyjo
December 18th, 2014, 17:29
I must admit that I don't fully understand what Steam is, so I don't see why you would want to add another copy of FSX onto your hard drive.
Many here are saying that they will or have bought it but don't intend to install it. Just what is the advantage to it if you already have FSX that works great with all your scenery and add on planes?
If it was "FSX" with some updates, and all your add-on's could easily be installed, maybe it would make sense.

Navy Chief
December 18th, 2014, 18:11
I must admit that I don't fully understand what Steam is, so I don't see why you would want to add another copy of FSX onto your hard drive.
Many here are saying that they will or have bought it but don't intend to install it. Just what is the advantage to it if you already have FSX that works great with all your scenery and add on planes?
If it was "FSX" with some updates, and all your add-on's could easily be installed, maybe it would make sense.

Good points, however there ARE some things planned for FSX Steam mentioned by its developers. No details, but for only $5, it is worth it to me to sit and wait. NC

orionll
December 18th, 2014, 18:18

It is FSX with some updates and it should be just as easy to install addons to it. For the time being, it should be noted that some addons may not work (most likely those that rely on undocumented DLL exports), but for the most part addons should work.

Overshoe
December 18th, 2014, 18:22
In the first place, I do not believe we are the target audience for the steam edition. Well. YOU are not anyway. My last install of FSX went all corrupt about 18 months ago and I have lacked the will to re-install for what would have been the 14th time since the beta. So I made do with Flight and took up train simming.

So I bought the steam edition and let them do the install. Slick. And yes, it installs in the steam tree, not in the Microsoft Games tree.
I had one problem which for me was easily solved. Those of you with large disk based installs may have this problem too... The scenery.cfg file from my old install was still wherever it was hidden so when I started FSX-S the first time, I got 190 scenery errors :) Easily fixed for me without another working install, I just went into the scenery library and deactivated all those addon scenery folders.

Now, what about addons? To test, I went to the external drive where I stored the ruins of my old FSX and dragged across copies of the Aerosoft Beaver and the FS Addon Super Cub. Both work fine. I also dragged across 2-3 addon scenery folders and re-activated them. They work fine.

So what about the PMDG 777 and all that Orbx scenery? Don't know and never will about the PMDG stuff or any other jet aircraft. Orbx scenery is a project to be delayed into January.

Bottom line? For me an investment of $5 got me back up and running in FSX in 2 hours. Another 15 minutes messing around with experiments and I was flying a float plane in the Maine woods.

The other bottom line: If you have a working install of FSX, you don't need this. Its just that simple. Move along.... nothing to see here. And if you think you might need it in the future... Steam has 3-4 sales a year.

CG_1976
December 18th, 2014, 18:39
Now up and running FSX/SE on a W8.1 install. No disconnect errors of my various flight controller's during my flight from CYFB to CYZF using the default 737. Frames stable fluid 60's all sliders right in default state no 3rd addons yet. Im calling in my ace in the hole addon the Iris 27J.

The Iris C27J just bite and nailed the installed path perfect.

JimmyRFR
December 18th, 2014, 18:49
Glad you all are doing the testing. :)

I'm purchasing, both as a backup, and as a means of easily (light on the wallet) supporting the idea that there is a population of simmers willing to support flight simulation on Steam. However, since my current installation has a heavy dose of Orbx in not just regions and airports but in FTX Global & Vector, I fear it might be a bit until I actually bother messing with it. But that's the beauty of Steam: there's absolutely no need to quickly install the games you've purchased. For many games, I install and uninstall as the need arises. After all, if I were to install everything from my Steam library, I'd possibly need more than the 8 Tb of space I currently have!

However, a large thank you to those who are willing to have a play with it and report back!

Hanimichal
December 18th, 2014, 19:00
Steam is good yes, Now I have both version, independent folders in installation and in AppData\Roaming\Microsoft and in Document folder all are independent and work like two different game

as you can see herehttp://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/12/18/qNBt3.th.jpg (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/nVQ) http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/12/18/YWSOV.th.jpg (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/nVl)

and here a screen with my last acquisition into the old good instalation http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/12/18/3SHOr.th.jpg (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/nVM)

and with the new intalation (Steam) also with my first add-on instaled http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/12/18/rZVlc.th.jpg (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/nVg)

Again, both work together without interference

CG_1976
December 18th, 2014, 19:06
Off goes the Iris C27J all happy in FSX/SE

zswobbie1
December 18th, 2014, 20:43
So, when the special prices end, you can buy an 8 year old program for $25? An constantly updated P3D for double?

Gdavis101
December 18th, 2014, 20:58
For 5 bucks! Heck yeah, will go ahead and install it on my laptop..

Gibbage
December 18th, 2014, 21:25
Installed just fine for me, and so far the SportStar is flying fine. I copied the new version from P3D into FSX/SE and no problems at all! It did ask for access to a radio DLL, and after saying yes, happy flying. This version will be on Aerosoft soon. I will test out the Seabee soon Friday. So far its stable and runs great on Win 8.1 and the install was 2 mouse clicks. Well worth the 5$ just for the easy install!

Overshoe
December 18th, 2014, 21:35
SeaBee works great here Kevin.

Daube
December 19th, 2014, 01:00

You just need to understand two things:
1- Buying the Steam edition for 5 dollars does not force you to install it right now, and it does not force you to uninstall your current FSX version or your addons
2- Some of us are SICK of the DVDs, and the uninstall/reinstall process of that sim, and especially all the potential problems that can prevent the install from working, and finally all the potential problems that can prevent the activation from working. The Steam edition means these problems are things from the past.

As many said, for current FSX owners, the Steam edition is just the cheapest (well, until tomorrow) and most convenient backup ever.

dhazelgrove
December 19th, 2014, 01:22
I don't think I'll bother - even at that price.
There seems to be too much collateral for my taste.

I believe in weekly disk images and backups.

Dave

ce_zeta
December 19th, 2014, 01:52
For 5 bucks! Heck yeah, will go ahead and install it on my laptop..
Hells yeah! :encouragement: Me too

Dino Cattaneo
December 19th, 2014, 02:30
A couple of cool things about Steam (and reasons why I'll spend the five bucks as soon as I get back home):
- Purchasing does not mean you have to install right now (stated above)
- You may install the same software in different machine (sort of "floating licence") - but use it on one computer at a time
- You can even play it remotely in your home network (software is installed on one computer and streamed onto another)
- I had a very hard time installing FSX on Win8 when I had to

...as we tend to have a "simming" PC, probably they do not mean much for us simmers... but Steam works quite well.

That being said, I much prefer P3Dv2 over FSX - the only reason for me to still use it is Tacpack (and I cannot really stand P3Dv2 annoying issue with carrier wakes).

papab
December 19th, 2014, 02:40
I have had a Steam account for years but never used it

Question: If I purchase for $5 just to have in reserve,how do I access it later on if I want to use it?
Can't seem to find the answer on Steam....

Thanks
Rick

hschuit
December 19th, 2014, 03:18
I have had a Steam account for years but never used it
Question: If I purchase for $5 just to have in reserve,how do I access it later on if I want to use it?
Can't seem to find the answer on Steam....

Thanks
Rick

Should be no problem: Launch the Steam application, select menu item LIBRARY, then GAMES - the FSX install button should be there if you have purchased it. You can install FSX later at the time you want to any drive you want.

papab
December 19th, 2014, 04:10
Should be no problem: Launch the Steam application, select menu item LIBRARY, then GAMES - the FSX install button should be there if you have purchased it. You can install FSX later at the time you want to any drive you want.

Thank you
Rick

Daube
December 19th, 2014, 04:28
Indeed, just click on FSX in your list of games, and a small button "Install" will appear. Then you'll simply have to specify a destination folder, and that's all. Steam will do all the rest by himself.

fsafranek
December 19th, 2014, 05:33
How do I tell it not to install right away? Typically when I buy any DLC from Steam it starts the download right away. If I can buy it today and install it later then I'm all in.

rvn817j
December 19th, 2014, 06:21
I've used Steam on and off (more off) for a couple years and have about 8 games in my library. Several of those games have not yet been installed. (Most games were acquired with coupons from graphics card purchases.) I just paid the $4.99 (USD) for the FSX-SE license. The game now shows in my list of Steam games. It may sit there for a year or two unused like some of the other games I have. In answer to all those questions about just letting it sit without installing it..YES you can do that!

While I let FSX-SE sit, I will be watching all those that install it to see if there are any good tips about how to deal with installations of both FSX and FSX-SE on one computer. I'll also be watching to see how FSX-SE multi-player works. Keep posting your experience.

Edit - For Frank...Just pay the money to Steam for the license and do not install FSX-SE when it appears in your "Library" list of games. Pretty simple.

Daube
December 19th, 2014, 06:54
How do I tell it not to install right away? Typically when I buy any DLC from Steam it starts the download right away. If I can buy it today and install it later then I'm all in.

Strange, for me the installation is triggered by a button "install now" on the very last page of the buying procedure (after I enter my credit card info and the payment is confirmed).
If I don't click on that, then Steam does not download anything, the game appears in my library but it's written in dark.

Mickey D
December 19th, 2014, 09:27
:ernaehrung004: Well in for a penny etc.. I'm uninstalling P3D V 1.4 and installing FSX-S. Only ever used it to check out the Enterprise anyway. ( Need the HDD room) I think FSX-Steam will overtake P3D for the hobby simmer.

Gibbage
December 19th, 2014, 10:00
SeaBee works great here Kevin.

Did you copy the files over, or install into the Steam folder? Ironically, im waiting for my own copy to see if the installer works from Aerosoft.

Bjoern
December 19th, 2014, 10:25
Didn't plan to buy it, but oh well...5€.

Changelog:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/1/626329820729615790/

Surprisingly enough, there are fixes that go beyond the multiplayer part:

* FSX: Steam Edition is now built using the VS2013 compiler for better optimisation and performance. (Still makes use of VS2005 libraries for backwards compatibility.)

* Increased Vertex and Index Buffers and the number of buffers.

* Fix to particle emitter controllers which were not being updated properly.
* Fix to flush all levels of detail in terrain cache.
* Fix to Texture Composition preventing fail and crash.

According to the FSDev guys, the SDK is incomplete though (no XToMDL, no terrain tools), but this looks more like an oversight than bad intentions.

Overshoe
December 19th, 2014, 10:31
Did you copy the files over, or install into the Steam folder? Ironically, im waiting for my own copy to see if the installer works from Aerosoft.

I copied from the ruins of my last install. Also, I used the Flight1 Registry repair tool to point to the steam version and a couple other installers worked seamlessly. But I don't have a disk based install to preserve. The Steam version will be my only FSX install.

fsafranek
December 19th, 2014, 11:20
Took the bait for $5. Nothing tangible in my hand to show for it (unless I print out the receipt) but that's ok.
Will install it someday after the dust settles and the steam clears. :ernaehrung004:

Gibbage
December 19th, 2014, 11:37
the steam clears. :ernaehrung004:

I see what you did there! :p87:

CG_1976
December 19th, 2014, 13:56
Hum, Just Flights installer's are picking up on FSX/SE:jump:

srgalahad
December 19th, 2014, 14:03
First of all, I had had a bunch of connection/login problems with my previous install of Steam but I have a hunch that was due to a progressive failure of some Windows components and or the drive last spring. Reinstalled Steam on the new drive, actually found my old Steam login info and went for it. After bumping into their "Is this a new computer?" security I got in fine, did the purchase and exited without installing.

Why? Well I have 3 boxed copies of FSX Gold and one of standard (for three computers and one copy I inherited) happily stored in a drawer in my desk. However that does me no good when I'm away from home for a month or three. The laptop runs FSX fine but if it goes "Poof", 2500 miles is a long way to go to get the disks and there's no local retailer although last year one enterprising fellow in a computer shop DID offer to "download a copy from the internet' for me <cough>.

Since I have good, fast Wifi while sitting by the pool sipping a beverage I now have a 'backup' in case the urge to sim overcomes the urge to go fishing for marlin :biggrin-new:. Install the Steam edition, grab a couple of addons from my cloud-connected storage and I should be content while waiting for Happy-hour 2for1 cervezas :very_drunk:.

strikehawk
December 19th, 2014, 14:04
Alright, I have a few questions about the Steam version.....

1) I have an entire HD dedicated to Steam, will the Steam product mess up my FSX install on my C: drive in any way shape or form?

2) Has anyone done multi-player yet?

3) Is MP the same "Lawless wasteland" that Microsoft"s "Zone" was? I want a place to fly with others like everyone did until a few years ago not be shadowed and harassed by people who think it's fun to wreak your flight and blast all kinds of crud on all channels.

If I am lucky, and I do mean lucky, I'll look into buying this on the First or Second, that's when my pension check hit's the bank. For $5.00 this is something that I could use. I do hope that Dove Tail can grow this sim into something good. Personally I would like to see these down the line....

Working radar and that means WX and military types. Working IFR sensors and a working Night Vision, both goggles and sensors.

And while I'm at it, get the boat and ship traffic to work better than it is already. I won't ask for better AI aircraft as I really don't care or fly with them as I us an MP server 97% of my time

JimmyRFR
December 19th, 2014, 14:31
If I am lucky, and I do mean lucky, I'll look into buying this on the First or Second, that's when my pension check hit's the bank. For $5.00 this is something that I could use.

It's worth noting that the $5.00 pricing is only going to be up for the rest of the day, since Steam daily deals are usually only up for 48 hours. Following Steam convention, it may be on a 50% sale for the duration of the holiday sale, with a chance that it may go cheap again on the last day of the sale. However, if you want it for $5.00, you'll likely have to jump on it today.

Gdavis101
December 19th, 2014, 15:27
Multiple installs? Am I correct in reading here that if you have the disc version of FSX, you can install the Steam version also and they will not conflict? I am thinking about dumping P3D 1.4 and installing the Steam version for all of my Orbx stuff is all.

strikehawk
December 19th, 2014, 15:51
It's worth noting that the $5.00 pricing is only going to be up for the rest of the day, since Steam daily deals are usually only up for 48 hours. Following Steam convention, it may be on a 50% sale for the duration of the holiday sale, with a chance that it may go cheap again on the last day of the sale. However, if you want it for $5.00, you'll likely have to jump on it today.

Thanks for noting that it's only a 24 hour period. Will have to wait until payday as I'm tapped out in the wallet division. The regular asking price is still fair compared to what I've seen on Amazombie, I saw it the CD version listed as $120 + :icon_eek: by some vendors. At this point I just want one install for fun and games and the Steam version so I can spend time with my grandson, or granddaughter if she wants, teaching him the basics of flying.

n4gix
December 19th, 2014, 16:07
However, they do share the same AppData folder if I recall correctly, so I highly suggest backing that up first.

No they don't share anything. If you do a side-by-side installation, all paths will be different, and even the config files are renamed; e.g. fsx-se.cfg instead of fsx.cfg...

However, installers for nearly everything will need to be recoded to allow for the new folder, paths, and file names if users keep both FSX:MS and FSX:SE installed! :dizzy:

Those who install FSX:SE 'virgin' will have no such problems for most installers.

n4gix
December 19th, 2014, 16:23
Multiple installs? Am I correct in reading here that if you have the disc version of FSX, you can install the Steam version also and they will not conflict? I am thinking about dumping P3D 1.4 and installing the Steam version for all of my Orbx stuff is all.

Yes, you can have side-by-side versions of FSX (original) and FSX:SE on the same computer. They will be totally independent of one another. Moreover, you can install FSX:SE to as many computers as you own, but you can only use one at a time (if on-line that is...) If not connected to the internet, you could have as many sessions of FSX running as you wish. I cannot imagine why you'd want to, but you can. :encouragement:

Seriously, you can even "stream" FSX:SE to another computer without having it installed on the one you are playing on!

Navy Chief
December 19th, 2014, 16:24
If I have read the posts in this thread correctly, both my FSX-O and FSX-S can reside simultaneously, right?

Ok then, as a precaution, is the advice to back up my FSX config files still applicable?

More importantly, so I can fully understand this process, to do a backup of those files, is it simply a matter of copying that folder?

Thanks, NC

Gibbage
December 19th, 2014, 18:08
If I have read the posts in this thread correctly, both my FSX-O and FSX-S can reside simultaneously, right?

Ok then, as a precaution, is the advice to back up my FSX config files still applicable?

More importantly, so I can fully understand this process, to do a backup of those files, is it simply a matter of copying that folder?

Thanks, NC

Its the easiest way of backup. Just copy the FSX folder to a new location. Like another drive or even into a ZIP file.

Navy Chief
December 20th, 2014, 05:12
Its the easiest way of backup. Just copy the FSX folder to a new location. Like another drive or even into a ZIP file.

The entire install, or just config files? NC

Daube
December 20th, 2014, 07:20
Navy Chief, sorry for the dumb question, but since your normal FSX still works correctly, why would you want to install the Steam edition right now ?
I see the Steam edition of FSX like a convenient backup, in case something happens to your DVDs or in case you get in trouble for reactivating your regular FSX.

Daube
December 20th, 2014, 07:22
Another warning: when one uninstalls the Steam version of FSX, won't that erase the FSX.cfg and related folders ?
This could kill the regular FSX, right ?

OleBoy
December 20th, 2014, 07:53
I suggest you climb on board and buy it quickly.

Daveroo
December 20th, 2014, 07:56
ive been watching this thread since it started,well i bought and installed the steam FSX,and i did so for the reason that ive had TS2015 and privous versions,for awhile now,i did a total HD format a few months back,it took me about a week and a half to reinstall FSX and all my "stuff" in it,but all i had to do with steam was to reinstall the steam "app" and everything from my train sim and asseto corsa were there..no fuss no muss...in a few months,ill be able to have my new PC and if i have all my "stuff" in steam/fsx...then im a week ahead...eh?...so now to find an easy way to move all the ORBX FTX stuff into steam without problems..any ideas?

Bjoern
December 20th, 2014, 08:27
FSX legacy and FSX:SE use totally separate registry and fsx.cfg folders, so uninstalling either won't harm the other.

(Not sure about the scenery.cfg in ProgramData though.)

Bjoern
December 20th, 2014, 08:30
The users on Avsim have a compatibility testing thread:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/457968-fsx-se-compatibility-testing-thread/
(Requires login.)

Everything that doesn't rely on FSUIPC for something appears to work and compatible installers are beginning to be supplied by the big vendors.

Daveroo
December 20th, 2014, 08:41
so its not possible to just copy the FSX disc version to the steam version...registry conflicts?...but if the registry is on the same computer..whut mater would it make?

manfredc3
December 20th, 2014, 08:42
Well, I have been debating about this FSX SE, and decided jump on the wagon. Just purchased it for $5.

I will be following the discussions here, on Avsim and any other forum to see the fog clear off the runway. I do not want to take the risk of messing up my current FSX setup, and I do use FSUIPC for add-ons, as well as axis assignments, and buttons for my home built cockpit trhough LUA.

So untill There is a resolution for FSUIPC tp work with FSX SE, I see no reason to install the Steam version.

Let's see what the coming months will bring.

Bjoern
December 20th, 2014, 08:54
So untill There is a resolution for FSUIPC tp work with FSX SE, I see no reason to install the Steam version.

Pete Dowson said that he can't publish a new version until Jan. 9th, but he will definitely do an update.

Daube
December 20th, 2014, 09:04
On the A2A forum, someone said that the registry key are different only if FSX is already installed on the computer.
If you install FSX-SE on a computer where FSX does not exist, then FSX-SE uses the same registry keys and same folder for FSX.cfg than FSX.
Can anybody confirm ?

flaviossa
December 20th, 2014, 09:23
Yes, i confirm that. I had only p3d. Installed FSX:SE and it uses the same folders of FSX:MS. The same appdata folders, registry,etc.

Ferry_vO
December 20th, 2014, 10:04
Bought it just to have a digital back up of FsX, will install the Steam version next time I reinstall my computer.

flaviossa
December 20th, 2014, 11:03
fsuipc working now: https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=http://forum.simflight.com/topic/78258-fsuipc-4938-available-now-for-fsx-steam-edition/

Overshoe
December 20th, 2014, 11:18
On the A2A forum, someone said that the registry key are different only if FSX is already installed on the computer.
If you install FSX-SE on a computer where FSX does not exist, then FSX-SE uses the same registry keys and same folder for FSX.cfg than FSX.
Can anybody confirm ?

Yes. That happened here. FSX-SE used all my old FSX cfgs which I had not removed after FSX went south. I just moved the old install to an external drive for future reference.

I had to deactivate a lot of scenery of course, since it used the old scenery cfg. and I do not have all of them installed.

I used the Flight1 Registry Repair tool to change the registry to the steam folder and smart instalis find it ok.

So far the only things that don't work are utilities that use the SDK or read/write to cfg files and one 3rd party GPS gauge so far.

Gibbage
December 20th, 2014, 14:30
FYI, to celebrate the re-release of FSX, I put the Seabee on sale for 10$ off. If you don't already have it, now may be a good time! Its FSX:SE compatible!

http://www.kcflightshop.com

http://www.kcflightshop.com/files/steamsale1.jpg

Moses03
December 20th, 2014, 15:23
I put the Seabee on sale for 10$ off.

Much appreciated Kevin. Looks like Santa will be hauling a Seabee down the chimney in a few days.:santahat:

Gdavis101
December 20th, 2014, 15:38
I have MS FSX installed, so if I go ahead and install the Steam version on the same PC it will cause a conflict then or will it create a totally different folder in the app data folder?

OleBoy
December 20th, 2014, 15:39
Much appreciated Kevin. Looks like Santa will be hauling a Seabee down the chimney in a few days.:santahat:

I don't have the SeaBee, as I gave my copy away upon release to another member here. But be sure to check the SOH archives for different schemes I, and Jankees did for it. Amongst other painters of which I can't remember who they were back then.

Gibbage
December 20th, 2014, 18:57
I have MS FSX installed, so if I go ahead and install the Steam version on the same PC it will cause a conflict then or will it create a totally different folder in the app data folder?

It will create a new folder under Steam

Gdavis101
December 20th, 2014, 22:26
Thanks Gibbage, I am just so hesitant but will probably give it a shot in the next couple days. Does anyone know if the Orbx stuff works with it yet?

MarkH
December 21st, 2014, 00:26
FYI, to celebrate the re-release of FSX, I put the Seabee on sale for 10$ off

Can you reassure my addled brain that this isn't a Steam-specific version or anything like that?

[This John Hartford joke intentionally left blank :pirate:]

Thanks!

sjrichardson
December 21st, 2014, 05:41
Hi All

Couldn't resist Ģ3.99 in the UK, so opened a Steam account yesterday and downloaded the game - it installed prefectly and runs every bit as well as can be expected on my sytem. I've also just installed my Just Flight VFR Real scenery and their BoB Anniversary Spit, Hurricane and 109; no problems at all and everything's running really well. Hope that reassures anyone who was concerned about installation and add-ons. An not an activation code in sight - hurrah!

Gibbage
December 21st, 2014, 10:20
Can you reassure my addled brain that this isn't a Steam-specific version or anything like that?

[This John Hartford joke intentionally left blank :pirate:]

Thanks!

Its the normal FSX version that works in Steam. I have made 0 changes to the add-on. It just worked! :wiggle:

MarkH
December 21st, 2014, 11:55
Its the normal FSX version that works in Steam. I have made 0 changes to the add-on. It just worked! :wiggle:

Great, then I'm probably gonna buy it!

Navy Chief
December 21st, 2014, 12:05
Navy Chief, sorry for the dumb question, but since your normal FSX still works correctly, why would you want to install the Steam edition right now ?
I see the Steam edition of FSX like a convenient backup, in case something happens to your DVDs or in case you get in trouble for reactivating your regular FSX.

Well, I just finally got around to completing install of FSX-S. It appears to run on the same drive as my FSX-O with no problems, whatsoever. Actually, it's kinda nice having a fresh install of FSX. I can pick/choose what to add to it.

Framerates are quite excellent. Have a lot of tweaking to do. But DO like this. NC

TARPSBird
December 21st, 2014, 15:06
NC,
At the risk of flogging the proverbial dead horse here, how did the FSX Steam version's AppData files install for you after you got past that prompt message you posted earlier in this thread?

Navy Chief
December 21st, 2014, 15:27
NC,
At the risk of flogging the proverbial dead horse here, how did the FSX Steam version's AppData files install for you after you got past that prompt message you posted earlier in this thread?

To tell you the truth, Tarps, I did not look! All I know is, so far, there are no glitches. The Steam version installed ok. I did notice one thing a little odd. I had just installed the FSXBA Hornet, and selected to put the tailhook down. For some reason, there is about a 3 second delay in animation. NC

delta_lima
December 21st, 2014, 15:57
Idiot question of the year ... what version is this? Is this Accel/Gold, or an equivalent? As in, moving carriers, etc.

thanks.

dl

Navy Chief
December 21st, 2014, 16:14
Idiot question of the year ... what version is this? Is this Accel/Gold, or an equivalent? As in, moving carriers, etc.

thanks.

dl

It includes Acceleration. NC

DennyA
December 31st, 2014, 10:46
If you missed the sale the first time, it's back on sale for another 48 hours for New Year's.

davido53
January 1st, 2015, 11:20
I bought it too because my FSX just stopped working (I suspect that FSTramp screwed it up again) but where is the folder for FSX? I can't find it anywhere.

BTW, this steam thing is awful. Had to get 4 codes to register on top of every other convoluted operation that steam requires, an unbelievable snafu.

At the steam forums a thread titled 'Worst thing about steam' is 230 pages long. That should tell you something.

Bjoern
January 2nd, 2015, 01:30
C:\Program Files\SteamApps\common\fsx or so.

rayhere48
January 4th, 2015, 09:13
I used the Flight1 Registry Repair tool to change the install folder and it would not work for a few plane installers. There are a few that will not allow me to install to a different folder. I must say that I do have both copies of FSX on my machine at this time. I am wondering if I just had the steam version, whether this would be a problem.

Naismith
January 4th, 2015, 13:49
I think Paul is correct & prudent buy it cheap and not install makes it future proof.

I think I read somewhere that the registry settings are different to MS FSX however they scenery.cfg file is still in the same place namely c:\PrgramData\FSX which could be problematic. Can someone confirm or deny this?

orionll
January 4th, 2015, 14:18
The registry settings and files paths are identical to what the original FSX would be if FSX: Steam Edition were installed on its own.

If FSX: Steam Edition is installed side by side (i.e. on the same computer as an existing FSX install), the following paths will be used:

Registry keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DovetailGames\FSX
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\DovetailGa mes\FSX
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition

File paths:
%appdata%\Microsoft\FSX-SE\fsx_se.CFG
%localappdata%\Microsoft\FSX-SE
%programdata%\Microsoft\FSX-SE\Scenery.CFG

ncooper
January 4th, 2015, 14:26
If you already have FSX installed, then the Steam version
uses FSX-SE as an alias, that is all its folders outside Steam
are named FSX-SE and do not have any effect on the existing
FSX installation.

In this way, as advertised, you can have both versions installed
on the same PC, ideally not on the same drive, and both will
work independently.

If you have FSX already installed, there is a way to add all
your aircraft to FSX-SE without the need to install any of them
into FSX-SE.

That said, there will be some which will not work at all and it will
be trial and error to see which ones do.
At present, it seems that the Sibwings AN-2 is one that won't
work at all.

Captain Sim aircraft on the other hand do.

davido53
January 4th, 2015, 18:40
I just uninstalled steam...as far as I am concerned it is the program from hell.

In fact, I just started it up to uninstall it and it asked for my login, password, etc, even though I had selected 'remember password' numerous times....then it asked me if I were logging in on a new computer so it would send me a password over my email...I had entered at least 6 different passwords sent by steam...

meanwhile I simply re-loaded FSX from my discs but when I tried to load Acceleration the loading stopped because it was not compatible with FSX:SE

Steam is like something you will eventually need an exorcist for...why can't they just sell you FSX w/o all the programming and control that THEY have, but not me, I'm done with it.

After uninstalling steam and running a registry cleaner, I re-installed FSX but the Acceleration disks would not load, so I d/l SP1 and that loaded okay, then tried SP2 and I got a window that said I needed the english version of FSX in order for that to work, which is what I have...

so thanks to steam, I am unable to even reload a decent version of FSX

right now I'm thinking of buying P3D

naturally i bought a bunch of Carenado stuff before FSX went tits up

flaviossa
January 9th, 2015, 08:21
UPDATE!

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/01/09/2ALXa.jpg

Changelog:
• Networking: Resolved - potential crash bug when decoding Steam host tag data.
• Error Reporting: Resolved - error message if the software failed to load the language.dll so that it shows the name of the actual dll it is trying to load.
• Learning Centre: Resolved - when selecting a mission from the Learning Centre, you would be told that the mission script failed to load and would be disabled.
• Learning Centre: Changed - the Learning Centre still referenced a GameSpy logo - now replaced with Steam logo.
• Graphics: Improved vertex and index buffer handling defaults and a few other things to give up to 10% framerate improvement (as long as vsync is not enabled/forced).
• Graphics: Change - Enable trilinear mipmap filtering by default.
• Graphics: Resolved - If the Special Effects setting was set to HIGH, some special effects like external lights, landing/water effects would not work.
• Graphics: Changed default value for max per-frame texture uploads to decrease time for high quality terrain textures to appear.
• Settings: Resolved - HIGHMEMFIX was enabled by default but could very rarely be disabled at load time.
• For new installs, we now provide default versions of dll.xml and exe.xml files to improve compatibility with existing addons.

https://www.facebook.com/fsxinsider

:encouragement:

Gibbage
January 9th, 2015, 09:59
Yep! Thats the advantage of Steam. Fast automatic updates! 1 month out and they are already improving FSX! I approve!

YoYo
January 9th, 2015, 10:08
Interesting. I bought FSX:SE too but till now didnt install it yet, simply no need. If they solved all 32bit problems to 64 I will install it too... :jump:

ncooper
January 9th, 2015, 10:40
Not quite yet........

We are pleased to announce a new update coming soon for Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition.

This update resolves several issues reported to us by the FSX: Steam Edition community and will be
automatically applied to your software via the Steam platform once it’s released.

GypsyBaron
January 9th, 2015, 12:24
I wonder if this is going to 'break' FSUIPC4 again as the original FSX-SE did. It would be a shame to have
this put more of a burden on Pete Dowson if they recompile for each update.

Other than that, this looks promising for future improvements.

Paul

EDIT: I just went on the the AVSIM forum, which is next in line for my daily 'visits' list after A2 and SOH.
Pete reports that he has a new FSUIPC4 version ready to go when the FSX-SE update is officially released.
Can't get any better in the support area than that!

Paul

Gibbage
January 9th, 2015, 19:10
I wonder if this is going to 'break' FSUIPC4 again as the original FSX-SE did. It would be a shame to have
this put more of a burden on Pete Dowson if they recompile for each update.

Other than that, this looks promising for future improvements.

Paul

EDIT: I just went on the the AVSIM forum, which is next in line for my daily 'visits' list after A2 and SOH.
Pete reports that he has a new FSUIPC4 version ready to go when the FSX-SE update is officially released.
Can't get any better in the support area than that!

Paul

That's great that they seem to be working with the community! Great support so far!

WombRaider78
January 9th, 2015, 19:27
The sale is off now.

flaviossa
January 12th, 2015, 03:09
The first "DLC":
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18124&stc=1

Although an old product, it seems "right" to be the first DLC.

ce_zeta
January 12th, 2015, 04:47
What sort of a joke is this?

Daube
January 12th, 2015, 05:10
What sort of a joke is this?

Why would you call this a "joke" ?
This First Class Simulation aircraft is not new, it exists since a long time in a regular, traditionnal "payware addon" shape. That means you have to buy it on an addon website, then receive some activation code by email, then download the archive, then launch the installer and activate/register the product if needed.

Now, this very same addon can be purchases via Steam, which means the buying and installation process is simplified: you buy the plane like any Steam game, and then it gets installed into your FSX-SE automatically without any action from your side. I don't know why anyone would call this a "joke". It just makes addon installation easier.

ce_zeta
January 12th, 2015, 05:39
Why would you call this a "joke" ?
This First Class Simulation aircraft is not new, it exists since a long time in a regular, traditionnal "payware addon" shape. That means you have to buy it on an addon website, then receive some activation code by email, then download the archive, then launch the installer and activate/register the product if needed.

Now, this very same addon can be purchases via Steam, which means the buying and installation process is simplified: you buy the plane like any Steam game, and then it gets installed into your FSX-SE automatically without any action from your side. I don't know why anyone would call this a "joke". It just makes addon installation easier.
Doh! I throught that this was the first DLC sponsored by Dovetail.

I am waiting the first movement of Dovetail to kidnap the Addons's market (they made an investment...they expect a profit).

flaviossa
January 12th, 2015, 07:40
Update released. Before get it, go grab a new fsuipc copy (4938C) and FSDreamTeam AddonManager.

Daveroo
January 12th, 2015, 08:01
does anyone know how to install the FTX/Orbix ?........ill use steam happily if i knew how to install that stuff...

flaviossa
January 12th, 2015, 08:05
Unfortunately Addon Manager from FSDTeam is not working. We will have to wait.

@Daveroo: The same way you use with the older FSX. Nothing changed!

NSS
January 12th, 2015, 08:15
The update has gone live.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/fsxsteamedition/announcements/detail/231141125830072041

Kev

Naismith
January 12th, 2015, 10:59
That's it dagnabit! Next time the sale is on I'm plumping for it. At first I was distrustful of DT on Steam but it appears they are committed to updating this pig of a sim. Last night I spent 30 mins planning a flight, 2 hours flying it for the damned thing to freeze and crash on approach to the destination. And that was using only a stock scenery area with the Lear Jet.

WombRaider78
January 12th, 2015, 14:28
It would suck if the developers made it so that we had to buy addons from their Steam addons page.

Kowalski65
January 13th, 2015, 02:37
Why?As long as the price was the same as their web store for the disk version,then everyone can have it.
problems may arise if An add on is FSX:SE only perhaps

Lewis-A2A
January 13th, 2015, 06:03
Liking the FSX:SE so far, its like FSX SP3. Classic ease of use steam, one click away I go. Lovely to see FSX sitting in my steam library, its been a long time coming!

Daube
January 13th, 2015, 07:02
Hi Lewis,
While you're here: what's your personnal opinion (I mean, A2A's opinion) on the "DLC" format for the planes ? Would the A2A plane appear in DLC format anytime in future ?

n4gix
January 13th, 2015, 12:25
Having read the interview on AVSIM, DTG have no plans to alter the relationship between third-party developers (free and pay) and FSX. They will be happy to have developers choose to have their work available as DLC, but there will be no requirement that do so.

Navy Chief
January 13th, 2015, 14:19
I just booted Steam, updated FSX-SE, and did a few touch and goes from our own SOH member HenryStreet's NAS Lemoore scenery.

The sim runs quite smooth! Am liking it! NC:encouragement: :very_drunk:

Hanimichal
January 13th, 2015, 17:02
anyone know how to fix this (only in FSX SE)

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2015/01/13/U4fn9.jpg

Daube
January 14th, 2015, 01:46
Sorry for the stupid question, but why do you use Arrestor Cable ?
FSX-SE includes Acceleration, so you don't need any additional software to simulate the carrier ops (catapult and cables), right ?

Hanimichal
January 14th, 2015, 02:21
Sorry for the stupid question, but why do you use Arrestor Cable ?
FSX-SE includes Acceleration, so you don't need any additional software to simulate the carrier ops (catapult and cables), right ?

The best freeware assistence (you don't need to instal anything) to air-refueling
Also for now there are some problem to cat-launch the AS F-14 X, so this solve this problem in the Boxed FSX

papab
January 14th, 2015, 02:33
Question:
If you have both versions of FSX ( Gold and SE) on the computer , do they have to reside on the same drive?
I put SE on /D drive and Gold is on /C and I can not seem to get 3rd party aircraft to work even though the DEV. has a patch for the aircraft to work on SE

Rick

hschuit
January 14th, 2015, 04:51
HU: AVSIM Interview with Tim Gatland - CTO - DoveTail Games (http://forum.avsim.net/page/index.html/_/pri-news/avsim-interview-with-tim-gatland-cto-doveta-r2755) about (the future of) FSX-SE.

Hanimichal
January 14th, 2015, 06:36
Question:
If you have both versions of FSX ( Gold and SE) on the computer , do they have to reside on the same drive?
I put SE on /D drive and Gold is on /C and I can not seem to get 3rd party aircraft to work even though the DEV. has a patch for the aircraft to work on SE

Rick

Some of this 3rd party can install using Flight1 Registry Repair Tool, assigning the FSX version you will to use. No difference in driver instalation of both

Another of 3rd party can instal only 1 time in same PC as the Captain Sim Weapon. Others have big problems! I have tried to instal the VRS weapons in FSX SE but give me error in the installation. And both are working without problems in FSX Boxed version

Bjoern
January 14th, 2015, 08:00
anyone know how to fix this (only in FSX SE)

Is FSUIPC 4.938c installed?
Or the legacy SimConnect releases*?

*Installation - see here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?91963-Scenery-Library-Question&p=930137&viewfull=1#post930137

papab
January 14th, 2015, 12:03
Some of this 3rd party can install using Flight1 Registry Repair Tool, assigning the FSX version you will to use. No difference in driver instalation of both

Another of 3rd party can instal only 1 time in same PC as the Captain Sim Weapon. Others have big problems! I have tried to instal the VRS weapons in FSX SE but give me error in the installation. And both are working without problems in FSX Boxed version

Thank you for the feedback!
Rick

georges-andre
January 14th, 2015, 12:47
I just read the interwiew of the dovetail boss on avsim, i have read some post on SOH and Pilote virtuel (French site) and i can't take a decision...
If you have FSX Gold with acceleration, do you think really that buy FSX Steam is reasonable now or do you want to wait for see what FSX could become with a major transformation?
Also there is P3D an another solution perhaps more expensive but really good...
To buy or not to buy* that is the question ?
*it's strange it's remember me an another sentence with dilemma of a great author:dizzy:.

Help us to took a decision!!!

Daube
January 14th, 2015, 13:22
I just read the interwiew of the dovetail boss on avsim, i have read some post on SOH and Pilote virtuel (French site) and i can't take a decision...
If you have FSX Gold with acceleration, do you think really that buy FSX Steam is reasonable now or do you want to wait for see what FSX could become with a major transformation?

The answer is extremely simple.
If you had considered this question at the right time, that is when FSX-SE was sold for 5 dollars only, then YES, it was totally worth it to buy FSX-SE, even if you already had a "normal" FSX. Just because DVDs are a stupid format (fragile and slow), and because the installation and activation of the original game is very often problematic.
But, now that FSX-SE is sold for 25 dollars, the situation is totally different. And if your original FSX still works correctly and your DVDs are still in good shape, then it's not a good idea to buy FSX-SE now.

Also there is P3D an another solution perhaps more expensive but really good...

P3D is not another solution. It's THE solution. But not right now, not until the major addons (PMDG, VRS...) become compatible. But when they will be, P3D will be the ultimate FS.

Hanimichal
January 14th, 2015, 14:47
Is FSUIPC 4.938c installed?

it was the new FSUIPC I had not updated, Thanks

Francois
January 15th, 2015, 01:28
However, the problem with P3D is STILL their limitations on licensing and sales. I know it is 'only' official, but it also means they can withdraw it all tomorrow without having to worry about us, poor consumers. I would also guess that it is even LESS important for them revenue wise than it was for MS :-(

Wizard
January 15th, 2015, 05:25
And I particularly like the "you have to pay us in order to develop for OUR program"? Wait - what? I, a developer have to pay you, Lockheed, to develop more capability for YOUR simulation?

Not gonna happen in my lifetime, I assure you. :a1310:

They ought to be paying me! :very_drunk:

Bjoern
January 15th, 2015, 08:30
And I particularly like the "you have to pay us in order to develop for OUR program"? Wait - what? I, a developer have to pay you, Lockheed, to develop more capability for YOUR simulation?

Not gonna happen in my lifetime, I assure you. :a1310:

They ought to be paying me! :very_drunk:

Are you sure that you aren't interpreting too much into the "Development Subscription" that is offered for P3D?

If so: The subscription only means that you'll get two P3D licenses for use on development and testing computers and access to any future updates (even major ones, like from v1 to v2). At $10 a month it's a bit of a steal if you're a payware dev who's in for the long run. Just ask Bill Leaming (n4gix).

Wizard
January 16th, 2015, 03:37
Well, I don't need 2 licenses since I fly solo here. And I'm not doing payware. But the license doesn't seem to discern between payware and freeware.

In any case, my efforts are designed to increase the number of people using a flight simulator, which in essence makes me part of the marketing. I have several very kind folk who are helping me develop and host the NEUWUC server - for free. I still have to pay for the domain name, etc which I am willing to do. I do not want to have to charge folks for what I am doing - at least not until it all works perfectly - like it ever will. I won't charge anyone unless the hosting service charges me - and the fellow who owns it is also a flight simmer and friend and very sympathetic to my cause.

There's several other reasons I won't make NEUWUC payware.But be that as it may, unless there was a serious requirement to move to P3D, I won't. And by the looks of it Lockheed Martin is not going to open up P3D (legally) to the general public. So I'm continuing development and waiting to see where the winds blow. And I could always shift back to X-Plane which is more developer friendly than LM.

Bjoern
January 16th, 2015, 08:36
What are you talking about?

The SDK for P3D is always free, no matter what kind of license you use!
You can perfectly well purchase the $60 academic license, download the SDK and develop your stuff like you used to for FSX, FS9, FS8, FS7, etc...
Heck, even I could make stuff with P3D's SDK without even owning the simulator!

http://prepar3d.com/support/sdk/

If you're really complaining about having to purchase simulation software despite being a developer, then at least have a jab at Microsoft, Dovetail and Laminar Research as well, because their SDKs are only available when you purchase the main product.

n4gix
January 16th, 2015, 08:41
We (developers) aren't working to "develop more capability for [their] simulation" at all. They (L-M) don't get any pecuniary benefit from our efforts.

I earn my entire living from FS development. This being the case, the developer's subscription is just part of the cost of doing business, in no wise different from me having to license Photoshop, Max2012, and a Baker's Dozen other useful development tools.

All that said though, for freeware developers the P3Dv1.4 and v2.4 SDKs are totally free, and at this point in time nearly everything developed for FSX+Acceleration is pretty much guaranteed to work in P3Dv1.4 and v2.4.

Ferry_vO
January 16th, 2015, 09:57
First class simulations now sells a product through Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/342000/

Bjoern
January 16th, 2015, 10:39
By the way: After having fixed a nasty, recurring g3d.dll crash*, I'm quite enjoying FSXSE. It's really faster and smoother** than the "old" FSX.

*If you get one of these, it's caused by an inacessible, i.e. corrupted model or texture somewhere.
**With a suitable flavor of the BufferPools tweak.

Lewis-A2A
January 16th, 2015, 14:43
Well, I don't need 2 licenses since I fly solo here. And I'm not doing payware. But the license doesn't seem to discern between payware and freeware.

Don't mistake P3D to be a home desktop flight simulator ala MSFS, its a professional software application for professional application from military applications to the certified flight training simulators . Freeware does not exist in this business which is why it is not really catered for.

But as mentioned already the SDK's are already there for any home flight sim enthusiast to have a play with and at the moment much of it is similar to the FSX SDK with some limitations totally removed due to the nature of the P3D platform.

thanks,
Lewis

tommieboy
January 16th, 2015, 18:04
So at the risk of being laughed out of the room.....

I'm wondering if the optimized coding in FSX-SE would be of any benefit to us MS XP 32 bit OS users? I guess we are all looking for extra FPS, where ever / how ever we can get it.

Tommy

Francois
January 17th, 2015, 03:40
Not laughing Tommy, but you REALLY should get rid of that old XP stuff ;-)

flaviossa
January 17th, 2015, 03:50
The second DLC announced:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18364&stc=1

I think DTG plans are a little different from ours .... ;)

DaveB
January 17th, 2015, 04:12
Hat's off to FCS for jumping on the bandwagon early though they do seem an odd choice. Few of their models shine a light toward anything 'current' although the Lancaster and Wellington remain 'best of breed'. I wish to goodness they'd re-visit the Sunderland.. the 'iron clad' textures are just too much.. even in a sale!

ATB
DaveB:)

tommieboy
January 17th, 2015, 06:28
Not laughing Tommy, but you REALLY should get rid of that old XP stuff ;-)

Hi Francois,

I am planning to do a major hardware / OS upgrade, but that will have to wait until next year 2016. One of my vintage guitars is going to get the TLC it has been sorely needing for the past few years. The repair costs for that one guitar alone will blow the computer budget clear out of the water and into the stratosphere. But I am really excited to finally get the ball rolling on that restoration.

So until 2016, it's XP Home Edition or BUST!....Hopefully it won't be BUST!

Who knows, maybe by 2016 we will have access to Win XP Steam Edition too....:biggrin-new:

Regards,

Tommy

Lewis-A2A
January 17th, 2015, 08:34
Remember that XP is fast becoming a security risk, with Windows 7 going into extended life support now in preparation for win10 I am thinking that 2015/16 is the time XP becomes the hackers playground for easy targets as a practice arena so to speak.

Its worth bearing in mind and an OS upgrade doesnt tend to cost the earth either, put some money aside each month and in less than half a year you can have enough for a OS these days.

tommieboy
January 17th, 2015, 09:00
Remember that XP is fast becoming a security risk, with Windows 7 going into extended life support now in preparation for win10 I am thinking that 2015/16 is the time XP becomes the hackers playground for easy targets as a practice arena so to speak.

Its worth bearing in mind and an OS upgrade doesnt tend to cost the earth either, put some money aside each month and in less than half a year you can have enough for a OS these days.

Yeah, I can swing the cost of a new OS this year.....and will probably do so. Just not so sure which OS to upgrade to with my current computer setup.

Tommy

Wizard
January 17th, 2015, 14:30
Ok, I see what you all are saying about the SDK/P3D. But still the Academic license is oriented around a school. And personal / home entertainment is forbidden. Yeah, I know the academic license is a way around the MS/LM deal. And most probably LM isn't going to enquire into who is actually purchasing the Academic License. Sorry, but it still makes me a bit nervous.

So far I have had precisely 2 enquires as to whether NEUWUC supports P3D. All I can say is that it does seem to still work. If I see a demand for it, I could certainly purchase it and recompile the code specifically for the P3D platform. The SimConnect function calls are identical. Perhaps, if and when, the groups I fly/steam around with move to P3D I will move as well.

I dunno - that license wording is awful flimsy. I suppose that NEUWUC is all about learning strategy and tactics in a "combat" environment, and therefor academic.

Oh, and while LM may not see any direct pecuniary benefit from my work - if it should become popular, people will buy their product to use my software. So, yes, they do indeed benefit from third party developers. If it wasn't for the third party developers in FS9 I should never have purchased FSX. I would probably have gotten quickly bored with FS9 with it's limited platforms. I've actually bought FSX and then the Gold edition because of all the cool stuff developers have made.

And then there is the Steam Edition...

fsafranek
January 17th, 2015, 14:59
Ok, I see what you all are saying about the SDK/P3D. But still the Academic license is oriented around a school. And personal / home entertainment is forbidden. Yeah, I know the academic license is a way around the MS/LM deal. And most probably LM isn't going to enquire into who is actually purchasing the Academic License. Sorry, but it still makes me a bit nervous.

So far I have had precisely 2 enquires as to whether NEUWUC supports P3D. All I can say is that it does seem to still work. If I see a demand for it, I could certainly purchase it and recompile the code specifically for the P3D platform. The SimConnect function calls are identical. Perhaps, if and when, the groups I fly/steam around with move to P3D I will move as well.

I dunno - that license wording is awful flimsy. I suppose that NEUWUC is all about learning strategy and tactics in a "combat" environment, and therefor academic.

Oh, and while LM may not see any direct pecuniary benefit from my work - if it should become popular, people will buy their product to use my software. So, yes, they do indeed benefit from third party developers. If it wasn't for the third party developers in FS9 I should never have purchased FSX. I would probably have gotten quickly bored with FS9 with it's limited platforms. I've actually bought FSX and then the Gold edition because of all the cool stuff developers have made.

And then there is the Steam Edition...
Unless you are a developer making money from something you develop for use in P3D you should be fine with the academic license.
If you ran an anonymous pole here I expect you would find that somewhere near 99% of non-developer users have the academic version.

fsafranek
January 17th, 2015, 15:06
I followed this thread the first few days but haven't had a chance lately so please bear with this question. If it has been answered please point me to the answer.

So, if you already have FSX (assume Acceleration but figure at least SP2) installed and then install the Steam version as well then the Steam version would go under "Program Files/Steam/Steam Apps/common/...". Correct?

And if you do not have the Microsoft version of FSX already installed I would expect the Steam version to do the same as above but I think I've heard that it goes under "Program Files/Microsoft Games/...". That doesn't make any sense to me but would appreciate it is someone can verify either way. Thanks in advance.

flaviossa
January 17th, 2015, 16:28
Where FSX STEAM will be installed has much to do where you installed STEAM in the first place. For default it installs at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam". But you can install it anywhere as you have this choice in the instalation process. After STEAM is installed it creates this folder structure:

XXXXX:\.......\Steam\SteamApps\common

Itīs inside this folder that FSX SE (And any other STEAM game) will be created and will follow the path where you installed STEAM as said above. IF you donīt have any previous FSX installed the information that it will be installed under "Program Files/Microsoft Games/..." is INCORRECT. It will be installed as the same above, in "XXXXX:\........\Steam\SteamApps\common"

The first tip is: donīt install STEAM under C:\Program Files (x86)\. Install it where windows donīt force itīs folder security (UAC).

The second tip is: STEAM has a very nice feature that is called "LIBRARIES". In other words, you can configure STEAM to work with multiple folders for whatever game you have. For example, here, i have a dedicated SSD (D: to FSX SE, so i made STEAM create a library exclusively to FSX in this SSD. And now i have a folder with this path "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX" exclusive to FSX and all of my other steam games in another partition, "G:\Steam\steamapps\common\"

Here is an example in the moment of FSX SE installs and choose the D: Library:
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/12/19/rUPc.jpg

Hope this information helps.

YoYo
January 21st, 2015, 10:40
Del, sorry.

Pepere
January 23rd, 2015, 08:51
Maybe this is a dumb question but what is the advantage to FSX Steam?

David

Alan_A
January 23rd, 2015, 09:10

David

According to discussion on Avsim, Dovetail has done some performance optimization - better use of virtual address space, for example.

I hadn't been thinking about adopting is - I'm mainly on Prepar3d these days - but if performance is in fact better, I'll consider it.

Daube
January 23rd, 2015, 10:16

David

- Painless install/uninstall of the game
- no need to keep DVDs
- no risk of damaging or losing them
- cost was only 5 euros when we bought it
- a few bugs fixed
- a few tweaks added by default to the FSX.cfg
- developpers are keeping an eye on the forums to look at the feedback, and try to take a look at the reported issues, and when we are very lucky, they even try to solve them :)

Alan_A
January 23rd, 2015, 11:22
- Painless install/uninstall of the game
- no need to keep DVDs
- no risk of damaging or losing them
- cost was only 5 euros when we bought it
- a few bugs fixed
- a few tweaks added by default to the FSX.cfg
- developpers are keeping an eye on the forums to look at the feedback, and try to take a look at the reported issues, and when we are very lucky, they even try to solve them :)

The more I hear the more appealing it sounds. My interest in P3D was mainly to get a smoother-running FSX, but if Steam Edition offers somewhat smoother performance (as some have suggested), it might provide a "third way" that doesn't have all the license-related drama clanking along with it. Granted, P3D offers more features (lighting, shadows) but has its own issues as well. So I'm open.

srgalahad
January 23rd, 2015, 13:27
Since FSUIPC (4.938c) has been updated to handle FSX-SE, has anyone installed the Duenna software and tested it?

I realize that most here are not often users of tracking software but this is a relevant question, not only for the upcoming Round the World Race but other events which require Duenna tracking.

If you don't want to post comments in here you can PM them to me with "FSX-SE Duenna" in the Subject line. Thanks.

Lane Street
January 23rd, 2015, 14:04
...what is the advantage to FSX Steam?

Two more changes I didn't see mentioned, might have missed them.

One is you do not have to mess with registering FSX when you install it anymore.

The second is that all of the working files, the .dll and .exe files, were recompiled with the latest VS compiler. This should better optimize FSX for current hardware.

cheers,
Lane

Daube
January 23rd, 2015, 17:05
The more I hear the more appealing it sounds. My interest in P3D was mainly to get a smoother-running FSX, but if Steam Edition offers somewhat smoother performance (as some have suggested), it might provide a "third way" that doesn't have all the license-related drama clanking along with it. Granted, P3D offers more features (lighting, shadows) but has its own issues as well. So I'm open.

No it doesn't.
The P3D 3D engine is vastly superior to the old FSX one, which is totally unmodified in FSX-Steam.
If your FSX works correctly, then it's not worth it to buy FSX-Steam at 25 dollars. (current price).
Back when FSX Steam was only 5 dollars, then there were no questions to ask. Many of us just bought it instantly, but never installed it.
But today, buying FSX Steam at 25 dollars just to replace a correctly-working FSX install is really not a wise move.
Wait for the next sales period instead.

Alan_A
January 23rd, 2015, 20:46
The P3D 3D engine is vastly superior to the old FSX one, which is totally unmodified in FSX-Steam.

I should have been more precise - I meant to say that there have been some claims that FSX Steam Edition is smoother than FSX Gold or FSX Acceleration, maybe not dramatically but there seem to have been some small refinements, for example in VAS handling.

Prepar3d has of course been more heavily reworked, which as usual is a mixed blessing - for example, the next (2.5) update will require a full reinstall since file structures are changing. Price of progress, I suppose.

I would have been willing to look at the Steam Edition for the sale price but yes, having missed that, I'll probably hang loose and maybe take a look at it the next time a sale comes up.

Alan_A
January 24th, 2015, 08:23
For those interested - this thread on Avsim (http://forum.avsim.net/topic/460355-side-by-side-testing-fsx-vs-fsx-se/) includes a number of reports and some videos, all consistently showing improved use of VAS in FSX Steam Edition. Pete Dowson among others seems to have a favorable impression. Worth a look if you're exploring the differences between FSX flavors.

keithb77
January 25th, 2015, 09:38
I'm using FSE-SE for photo-scenery, and I'm certainly seeing the ESI scenery better than ever before and faster too.
Largely due to a base install of FS-SE with just VFR-UK and ESI scenery, but I'm certain it's an improvement on FSX and well worth Ģ4!

P3D is still my main sim (with FTX Global etc etc) but I've barely used it in the last week.
With P3D needing a full reinstall, I'll probably focus on FSX-SE until P3D2.5 is out.

Cheers
Keith

Naismith
January 25th, 2015, 10:50
How many of us are kicking ourselves for not taking the $5 deal. Damn my skepticism. :biggrin-new:

ak416
January 25th, 2015, 13:02
It will almost certainly be heavily discounted again during Steam's annual Summer Sale, if you can wait that long :encouragement:

Navy Chief
January 25th, 2015, 13:46
Am sure when Steam is offered at a discount again, the sales will be much larger! NC

Dangerous Beans
January 25th, 2015, 15:22
It will almost certainly be heavily discounted again during Steam's annual Summer Sale, if you can wait that long :encouragement:

Ther'll probably be an Easter sale before that.

fsafranek
February 22nd, 2015, 16:55
Thank you for the information on the Steam install path flaviossa.

And looking at my TS2014 notes from last year, Steam had a March Madness sale and an Easter sale (coming up in the next couple of months). No doubt FSX-SE will be heavily discounted for part of those sales periods. Since you don't have to install it at the time of purchase it's not a bad idea to just get it anyway.