PDA

View Full Version : SketchUp, anyone else use this?

OleBoy
December 13th, 2014, 12:44
I know of a few here in the forums that use it. Falcon, Trucker
Anyone else using it for creating?

henrystreet
December 13th, 2014, 16:43
I've used exclusively so far on 4 projects but it does have some limitations. The triade of Sketchup, Gimp, and MCX created my Lemoore project.

OleBoy
December 14th, 2014, 18:00
SketchUp for scenery objects is not bad IMO. For what it does can be useful.
When I started playing around with it two (or so) years ago I was tripping over my feet trying different things. Back then, textures were a big issue to figure out. I have still not learned the optimal method for template design, even though I sorted out how to apply complex textures.

I've learned most from trial and error.
I'll get my radio dialed in eventually.

Blood_Hawk23
December 31st, 2014, 20:37
Scketchup models tend to be very poly heavy. It will make double sided polys with textures.

spatialpro
January 28th, 2015, 08:27
"None of the above". In other words I can't complete the poll because none of the options apply. I find Sketchup brilliant for working from photos (i.e. photo match) when making buildings, but I then import these into 3D Studio Max for further work before exporting using the Prepar3D SDK plugins. For modelling things other than buildings I either use another 3rd party software and import into Max again, or simply go straight to Max from the get-go. I think Sketchup is excellent tho and highly recommend it.

Andy