PDA

View Full Version : Any tutorials for adding effects out there

ian elliot
December 12th, 2014, 07:42
Ive been playing around with Yan Tao's Mig 19, one of the few FS9 birds ive ported over, i found an effect's package that works good in FSX but the AB, smoke and wing tip vortice's are are only usable by using the L key, all or nothing, im wondering what it would take to get those 3 effects working interdependently from the light system, the AB kicking in using the throttle ect. I did try making a new smoke system entry to the aircraft cfg but at the moment nothing seems to show.
Maybe im working against the limitations of a model thats over ten years old but i would be intrested to know the inner workings of what controls what within the cfg

cheers ian

delta_lima
December 12th, 2014, 08:23
There's been a few good tutorials, usually informal threads, in the context of a particular portover. So this conversation has come up in the context of the Alphasim F-101, F-4, etc.

Here's a decent one .... http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?26576-Afterburner-Effects

Don is a really good at this, and has posted both here and on flightsim: http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?272069-Afterburners-not-responding-to-throttle-and-need-lights-on

A more formal one by Mark Rooks ... http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/17903/fsx-tutorial-how-to-add-an-afterburner/

Often the issues are around the links between the effect or light - and the gauge(s) needed to trigger them.

Hope that helps,

dl

ian elliot
December 12th, 2014, 08:29
Thanks dl, there's a lot of good info there, thanks for the links.

cheers ian

fsafranek
December 12th, 2014, 08:33
I believe FSX provides wing tip vortices for you so you might be able to leave those out completely. As far as AB being tied to the lights years ago (FS9 probably) we had a small invisible gauge that would trigger the AB effect based on throttle position or percentage. It was first available in the old Alphasim forum for the Saab Viggen. Someone may have it still.

Another place to learn about effects is of course the FSX SDK.
:ernaehrung004:

ian elliot
December 12th, 2014, 10:09
I believe FSX provides wing tip vortices for you so you might be able to leave those out completely

Hi, i did notice them on the model im playing with but there about 10 feet off the end of each wing tip, ive had a quick look in the cfg and i cant figure what controls them. Ive got all my SDK's installed and currant so i'll have an explore, i know my way around the scenery related one's, but it never occured to me to look at the other's :jump:

cheers ian

hschuit
December 12th, 2014, 13:52
Hi, i did notice them on the model im playing with but there about 10 feet off the end of each wing tip, ive had a quick look in the cfg and i cant figure what controls them. Ive got all my SDK's installed and currant so i'll have an explore, i know my way around the scenery related one's, but it never occured to me to look at the other's :jump:

cheers ian

The [Effects] wingtip vapor trails line up with the Aircraft.cfg - [airplane_geometry] wing_span / wing_pos_apex_lon / wing_pos_apex_vert offsets. You have to play with these values to fix mis alignment.