PDA

View Full Version : A Spitfire from the days of days

JensOle
December 9th, 2014, 01:45
The Spitfire has a special place in my heart (as it probably has in the hearts of many aviation enthusiasts). For me the Spitfire Mk.IX “is” the Spitfire shape with, in my eyes, a perfect relationship between the original shape and the longer two stage Merlin engine. The IX was supposed to just be an interim mark pending the arrival of the more powerful Griffon models, but it turned out to be the most produced mark and maybe the most important one beside the Mk.I and II of course.

The very best Spitfire model is in my eyes still the grand old Realair Spitfire IX/XIV combo pack, it must be getting close to 10 years old.. It looks right, great VC, flies great and covers a variety of IX sub models (normal and pointed rudder, normal and short wings) it has a very easy to use paintkit with more or less perfect texture mapping (compared to all the problems I encountered with the newer Hurricane).

I have covered the two Norwegian Spitfire squadrons and their IX’s in detail before with both war and post war paints, but the arrival of the last volume of the outstanding and sort of bible of Norwegian Spitfire reference, “the Spitfire Saga-Volume V” which covers the period from November 1943 to the summer of 44 with the preparations for and actual invasion of France, D-day. The North Weald wing evolved into the 132 (Norwegian) wing as a part of the 2nd TAF and moved to the field base Bognor Regis AGL in March 1944 in preparation to support the invasion. The last volume includes (as previous) many hundreds of never before seen pictures of both men and machines. Very interesting to get more pictures of how the Norwegian spitfires were looking on D-day itself.

The story of the D-day stripes tend to be forgotten when we paint them on models, for most squadrons they were applied in the day before or on the night before the invasion and they were very crude looking being applied freehand with an ordinary paint brush. So the straight lines we have been painting are simply not like how the stripes looked on most aircraft.
For 132 wing it was a back and forth show which started on the night of 3rd of June when the first order to paint on invasion stripes arrived. But in the morning next day a new order arrived which told the ground crews to remove them! On the evening the wing was once again told to paint on the invasion stripes on all aircraft for operations the next day. The 5th of June arrived, but no invasion. The Norwegians did not want to remove the paint for a second time so camouflage nets were put over the aircraft. We all know that the 6th of June would go down in history as “the days of days”. 132 wing provided air cover over the beaches from the early morning to the late evening.

Over to the actual paint, the book has some good pictures of the aircraft of 332 Sqn commander, major Werner Christie which flew NH171 “AH-Z” for 3 sorties on D-day. The 3rd sortie was cut short when the engine quited after take off and he bellied in on Bognor Regis ALG. The pictures show a very crudely painted invasion stripes which covers up most of the serial and sqn code. The code has been reapplied below the cockpit in white. I have tried to replicate the crude invasion stripes and all of the RAF roundels and other decals have been remade.
Some of you might remember my RAF Mustang repaints for the warbirdsim model, Werner Christie would later become wing commander of the Hunsdon wing flying the Mustang IV ending the war as an ace with 11 kills.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/RNoAF/Scrshot305.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/RNoAF/Scrshot299.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/RNoAF/Scrshot295.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/RNoAF/Scrshot310.jpg~original

DaveB
December 9th, 2014, 01:58
A lovely paint Jens and one I'll be happy to have in my collection:encouragement: Agree completely with your comments on the RA Spit too. It was ground-breaking in it's day and is still a fine example of how to model. No sign of 'Accu-Snob' either.. it doesn't need it;) I actually re-bought this model again a couple of weeks ago after my original went AWOL! My only regret is RA didn't do a Hurricane to go with it!

ATB
DaveB:)

dhasdell
December 9th, 2014, 02:03
Where, where, where?

norab
December 9th, 2014, 03:04
love the paint, so great to see someone do the stripes right.:encouragement: I had an uncle attached to a US fighter squadron and he told me they only had 8 hours from the issue of the stripe order until take off time, along with the normal preparation for a mission.

511Flyer
December 9th, 2014, 05:30
Bognor Regis ALG is of course long gone, but the airfield is available as an addon from the cbfsim library.

:applause:

JensOle
December 9th, 2014, 06:19
Thanks for the heads up about Bognor Regis. After some research it looks like it is another newer Bognor Regis airstrip and not the wartime base. The book I mentioned has many wartime and current pictures of the field and it looks like the airfield was located in the triangle between Lower Bognor Rd (B2166) and Chalcraft Lane. The housing area east of Chalcraft lane was not there during the war. One runway was coming across Chalcraft towards the Morells Farm (just east of the bend of Lower Bognor rd) and the second rw coming in across Lower Bognor rd (just south of the Morells farm). More or less impossible to see the wartime Bognor Regis AGL base today as it looked when the entire 132 wing was based there. But the area I mention above is easily found in google maps.

https://www.google.no/maps/dir/50.7954685,-0.7135219/Chalcraft+Ln,+Bognor+Regis,+West+Sussex+PO21,+Stor britannia/@50.7916157,-0.7118661,1376m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m8!4m7!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x4875acfb 3de5182d:0x51a6a5cda54babad!2m2!1d-0.700846!2d50.7945789

hairyspin
December 9th, 2014, 08:41
Thanks JensOle, can never have too many repaints for that lovely model. :encouragement: It's one of my favourites too!

thunder100
December 9th, 2014, 09:42
I searched file libary-but where can I get that repaint-->STUNNING

Not yet released?

thanks for pointing me

Roland

JensOle
December 9th, 2014, 13:03
Yes, it is not yet released.

Ian Warren
December 9th, 2014, 13:12
Nice little piece off history , and a Superb paint , the ole Realair Spitty still has that glamour :encouragement:

JensOle
December 9th, 2014, 13:32
Thanks! It really is a testimony about how well modelled Realairs Spitfire was when it was first released in 2004. Really very few FS models that can be flown after 10 years and still look the part. It did of course get a"mlu" update with FSX, but the models are still very much in close family.

JensOle
December 11th, 2014, 15:10
Some wip repaints from my updated RNoAF Spitfire "mega" pack I'm working on. Enjoy!

-EN177 "AH-Z", 332 Sqn Summer 1943, North Weald wing. Flown by B-flight commander Kaptein Werner Christie in the summer of 1943. At the time Christie was credited with 3 kills.

-ML244 "AH-O", 332 Sqn 1944 AH-O, 132nd Wing in 1944.

-NH171 "AH-Z" of No 332 (Norwegian) Sqn. flown by the squadron commander Major Werner Christie on the D-day (6th June 1944)

-PV181 "RAB", 132nd Wing 1945
This was the "personal" aircraft of Wing Commander Rolf Arne Berg of the 132nd (Norwegian) Wing of the 2nd Tactical Air Force in late 1944. As was the privilege of a Wing Commander, the aircraft bears his initials (RAB) as the aircraft code, but he also added Norwegian national markings on the wings and rudder. Rolf Arne Berg was by many considered to be one of the best Norwegian Spitfire pilots and he enjoyed high respect as a commander, he was credited with 6 victories. Tragically he was shot down by and killed during his final combat mission in February 1945. Actually his tour had ended, but he wanted to fly one last mission because he was well aware that it could be his final combat mission.

-PV181 "RAB", 132nd Wing 1945 (Final mission)
This repaint shows the final paint scheme of Bergs PV181 as it looked on 3. February when he was shot down and killed by FLAK during a low level attack on a German airfield.

Bradburger
December 11th, 2014, 16:20
Looking good Jens.

And thanks for the 'Beta'!

Cheers

Paul