PDA

View Full Version : New Bf-109G-6 Restoration First Engine Run

Bomber_12th
December 4th, 2014, 14:29
The restoration of the Hangar 10 collection's Bf-109G-6 project (based on the identity/parts of an original) at MeierMotors had its first airframe-mounted DB 605 engine run today, with video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKufcdKDrW0

Unfortunately the sound quality isn't very good, but it's still nice to see. This one is an airworthy restoration that will be flown, based in Germany where the Hangar 10 collection is located. The same museum also has a Buchon currently being converted into a reproduction of a Bf-109G-12, the dual-seat version, also by MeierMotors, which will provide orientation flights (like their TF-51D and dual-seat Spitfire). The Bf-109G-12 project is being done as faithfully as possible to the original, including an exact copy of the original canopy and rear cockpit area, and will be also powered by a DB 605 engine. Furthermore, the Hangar 10 collection also has a Bf-109E project that is very near completion, which has mainly been under restoration in England for a number of years.

Jerry Yagen's Bf-109G-4 is also very near completion at MeierMotors, and its DB 605 has already been completed and test-run here in the US as well. Once completed, it will be based at Jerry Yagen's Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach.

Dev One
December 4th, 2014, 22:43
Very good although it does seem to have one smoky cylinder!
Thanks for posting
Keith

ce_zeta
December 5th, 2014, 00:14
WTF!!!
They have an original Buchon (a very rare version of the 109) and they are destroying it in order to make a replica of the 109G-12?
It's a sacrilege.

huub vink
December 5th, 2014, 02:37
WTF!!!
They have an original Buchon (a very rare version of the 109) and they are destroying it in order to make a replica of the 109G-12?
It's a sacrilege.

You must be Spanish :biggrin-new:. But you are right there were far more Messerschmitts built than Hispanos.

However there must be a reason for that...... :a1310: Sorry, just kidding of course, but I couldn't resist :encouragement:

Cheers,
Huub

ce_zeta
December 11th, 2014, 06:57
You must be Spanish :biggrin-new:. But you are right there were far more Messerschmitts built than Hispanos.

However there must be a reason for that...... :a1310: Sorry, just kidding of course, but I couldn't resist :encouragement:

Cheers,
Huub
This is not a question of nationalities....It's a question of prevervation of a piece of aeronautical history. For this same reason some aviation museums have foreign aircrafts in his collections.

Ferry_vO
December 11th, 2014, 07:13
It's a sacrilege.

The majority of Ju-52's, He-111's and Me-109's in museums these days come from Spain..

Dumonceau
December 11th, 2014, 09:23
This is not a question of nationalities....It's a question of prevervation of a piece of aeronautical history. For this same reason some aviation museums have foreign aircrafts in his collections.

Well, it seems to me that the Bf-109G-6 is a more important part of history than the Buchon... especially if you compare the production numbers and the wars it fought in.

D.

Bomber_12th
December 11th, 2014, 14:45
With 6 Buchons being imported into Europe soon, having been purchased from Connie Edwards, and to be restored and flown (presumably in stock Buchon form), there will be quite a number flying representing the type - there are already two which are flying in England in stock Buchon form (albeit in German markings). The two Buchons flying in England are the only two Buchons flying in the world at present. There is only one original Bf-109 flying in the world at present, and that is the Bf-109E operated by the Flying Heritage Collection. There is only one currently active Bf-109 converted Buchon, the Bf-109G-4 "Red 7" based in Germany. There are two other airworthy Bf-109 converted Buchons in Germany, a Bf-109G-6 and a Bf-109G-10 (owned by the Messerschmitt Stiftung, as "Red 7" is also), but those two have been down for major servicing/repairs. Next year, there will be a Bf-109E flying in England, being the one formerly based in Canada with Ed Russell, having recently been sold to an English-based collector - it is being promoted as likely displaying at UK airshows next summer.

The Buchon at MeierMotors which is being converted into a Bf-109G-12, was heavily damaged when it was involved in a ground-loop a year or two back, when being flown by Walter Eichorn (someone who has been considered a Bf-109 expert pilot for a number of years, but who has bent every one he has flown in recent years). This particular Buchon was the often-seen example that was flown/based for a large number of years in the southwest US, owned by Harold Kindsvater, before being sold to its German owner a few years back.

The Bf-109G-6 seen in the video in my first post, is not a converted Buchon. It uses the identity of an original which crashed in Austria during WWII, was found and then excavated back in 2007 - mainly a new-build airframe, using some original parts, built to original specifications.

Here are some more videos from the run-up of this particular Bf-109G-6 (WkNr. 440738) restoration/build:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=611415055653258&set=vb.274625062665594&type=2&theater

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=610487962412634&set=vb.274625062665594&type=2&theater

ce_zeta
December 13th, 2014, 07:16
The majority of Ju-52's, He-111's and Me-109's in museums these days come from Spain..
With rigour, we talk about CASA 352L, CASA 2111 and Hispano Ha-1112-M1L. Some are painted with Luftwaffe colours. Others retain the spanish livery. I understand the people who paint a spanish-built aircraft in german colours...'cause this modification is reversible. But destroy an original 40s era aircraft for build a replica....As a aviation fan, for me it's a sacrilege.

Well, it seems to me that the Bf-109G-6 is a more important part of history than the Buchon... especially if you compare the production numbers and the wars it fought in.

D
We are chatting about destroy an original aircraft in order to build a replica of the 109G-12.