PDA

View Full Version : Lancair Evolution

Daveroo
December 4th, 2014, 05:51
is there one in development from anyone?..i sure hope so,its such a cool looking plane,looks fast even parked in a dark hangar.

Bjoern
December 4th, 2014, 08:03
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d5/LancairEvolution.jpg

EWW!

Naruto-kun
December 4th, 2014, 08:52
I gotta say...Only the Legacy and the IV series(IV-P and IV turboprop) have ever appealed to me. The IV turbo prop is even better performing than the Evolution if I recall.

ryanbatc
December 4th, 2014, 09:10
We had a IV-P turboprop crash offshore in Duluth this summer... Still don't know what happened

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/ryanbatc094/IMG_5215.jpg (http://s141.photobucket.com/user/ryanbatc/media/ryanbatc094/IMG_5215.jpg.html)

mgchrist5
December 4th, 2014, 09:16
EWW!

LOL! I tend to agree. If definitely looks fast and modern, but those windows share a resemblance between a spider's eyes and/or liver spots.

Sundog
December 4th, 2014, 15:55
I would love to see Ant do one of these. Or at least update his IV to a IV-P. His IV is still one of my favorite GA planes to scoot about in FSX. :)

fsxar177
December 4th, 2014, 16:07
..The IV Turboprop is outright dangerous in my opinion.. We had a big-businessman kill himself in one a year or two back, in Boise.

- Joseph

ryanbatc
December 4th, 2014, 17:42
..The IV Turboprop is outright dangerous in my opinion.. We had a big-businessman kill himself in one a year or two back, in Boise.

- Joseph

I don't have any experience operating the turboprop version but I'd tend to agree. In our accident, we simply think the pilot got behind. Our field was VFR but IMC straight ahead - in addition to that the N86NW pilot was carrying what I'd call a fuel bladder, his route would take him back across the atlantic. We wonder if there was a CG shift on takeoff... It was really nuts - my first fatal in seven years with the FAA.

Wingnut172N
December 4th, 2014, 21:47
Don't blame high performance aircraft for mishaps due to pilots being behind. The Navy trains students in a T-6...much higher performance than a Lancair IV. The difference is a disciplined training program that mitigates risk and a culture of rigid adherence to an SOP.

I flew a Lancair 320 (another "dangerous" plane) safely for a year. Nothing unsafe about the plane. It was demanding of attention, yes, but given the correct training it's perfectly safe.

Ill admit the thing had more in common with flying a jet than a 172 though...

Flyboy208
December 5th, 2014, 00:42
Personally I did not like the Evolution when I first saw one at the FBO I work at, but now after 2 years or so I have seen several, and they have grown on me .... real ramp presence and almost fighter like landing gear, to each his own I suppose, but I'd love to have one for FSX ! Mike :wavey:

Naruto-kun
December 5th, 2014, 07:57
Any time a GA aircraft starts setting performance records you know that it requires more than average skills to fly it. Its like the Mu-2...The thing flies like a jet and has special characteristics that require special training. Put some bloke in Lancair who thinks he can fly it like his Cessna 182 and he will get bitten.

rvn817j
December 5th, 2014, 10:02
Personally I did not like the Evolution when I first saw one at the FBO I work at, but now after 2 years or so I have seen several, and they have grown on me .... real ramp presence and almost fighter like landing gear, to each his own I suppose, but I'd love to have one for FSX ! Mike :wavey:

+1. Single engine and slippery...what's not to like.

JimmyRFR
December 5th, 2014, 11:47
Those round windows and curvy lines make it look like a Rutan design. Add a canard in there or a strangely placed second engine and it would be a ringer for sure!