PDA

View Full Version : 'Tricare Takes Aim At Childhood Obesity'

Panther_99FS
October 6th, 2008, 09:35
http://www.tricare.mil/getfit/

Navy Chief
October 6th, 2008, 12:31
Maybe I am incorrect about this, but haven't most schools eliminated gym class? Add to that the readily available soft drinks in school, and lack of after-school physical activity, and bingo..........overweight kids.

We didn't have computers as kids. Mom used to have to almost threaten our lives to get us indoors in the evening.

NC

djscoo
October 6th, 2008, 13:59
Maybe I am incorrect about this, but haven't most schools eliminated gym class? Add to that the readily available soft drinks in school, and lack of after-school physical activity, and bingo..........overweight kids.

We didn't have computers as kids. Mom used to have to almost threaten our lives to get us indoors in the evening.

NC

We are required to have 2 years of P.E. out of the four in high school (As for the quality...you only HAVE to work out if you are in an athletic P.E.) Soft drinks aren't allowed to be sold on campus. The vending machines have water, juice, sports, drinks and milk.

Panther_99FS
October 6th, 2008, 15:04
Mom used to have to almost threaten our lives to get us indoors in the evening.

NC

That is sooo true....:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Willy
October 6th, 2008, 16:44
When I was in High School, it was easier to participate in a sport like Basketball or Track than to just take PE. They dogged out those kids in PE.

We were too busy working on the farm to stay inside. Everyone including the little kids had a job to do.

rayrey10
October 7th, 2008, 22:15
That's right NavyChief! We had to come inside when the street lights came on, or whatever time the Base said the curfew was...I'm an Army brat.

That was awesome when my old man was stationed in Germany because the sun wouldn't go down 'til pretty late in the summer.

deathfromafar
October 8th, 2008, 00:52

NCYeap, that is all replaced now with console game systems, PC's and High Def TV's. McDonalds and FF in general isn't the cause of this so called epidemic(I thought this was a term used for an actual disease out of control?) It's just plain laziness. I ate Double Quater Pounders with cheeze, Super-Sized fries, and a Large Coke nearly every or every other day of the week when I was in junior high school and high school and I was 125lbs soaking wet. There were only a few obese kids around in school. Nowadays they are full of them and too many adults are in the same condition who won't live to be old in most cases. The CDC puts labels on things that they should butt out of. Target cigarettes and tobbaco products but do squat about the far worse alcohol and drug problems out there. They target fast food for "making people fat" but not promote excercise and food moderation to keep healthy lifestyles. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. The CDC, aren't they now calling SUV's a health risk? LMAO:icon_lol: So wonder the US FEDGOV is the laughing stock of the free world. :applause: