PDA

View Full Version : A Question about "Flight"

falcon409
December 3rd, 2014, 05:41
What is known right now about Dovetail and the ill fated sim "Flight"? Have they purchased it to anyone's knowledge?

Odie
December 3rd, 2014, 06:47
Couldn't find that they had purchased FLIGHT, Ed. Just their connection with FSX. In some of the articles there was speculation (only) that FLIGHT might be used as the base
for a new Sim; but nothing concrete.

falcon409
December 3rd, 2014, 06:50
Thanks Odie, that's pretty much what I had heard as well.

pfflyers
December 3rd, 2014, 07:22
If you read Dovetail's announcement, it mentions two distinct things. First that they are putting FSX on Steam and second that they are using something they licensed as the basis to develope a "new" sim/game to be released as early as next year.

It's the second part that fueled a lot of speculation that they may be further developing FLIGHT to release it in some new form. If you look at how MS wanted to distribute FLIGHT it seems tailor made for a venue like Steam.

Time will tell.

Dumonceau
December 3rd, 2014, 08:04
Ok, But flight was 64 bit. The first 64 bit flightsim with MS origins. If they use part of the program and make it evolve into something that we would want, that would be a dream! Preferably with DX11 support like P3D!

Just my HO and my two €cents worth of course!

Dumonceau

fsafranek
December 3rd, 2014, 08:50
If you read Dovetail's announcement, it mentions two distinct things. First that they are putting FSX on Steam and second that they are using something they licensed as the basis to develope a "new" sim/game to be released as early as next year.

It's the second part that fueled a lot of speculation that they may be further developing FLIGHT to release it in some new form. If you look at how MS wanted to distribute FLIGHT it seems tailor made for a venue like Steam.

Time will tell.
Right. I don't think DGT has anything to do with "Flight". Their offerings are Train Simulator 2015, Fishing Simulator (?) and eventually, FSX. But "Flight" is certainly a Steam type game with downloaded content (DLC) to expand it. Much like Microsoft started doing but didn't have the patience for it to grow and totally misjudged the flightsim community wanting to go that route after decades of community sharing and third party developers.
:ernaehrung004:

Javis
December 3rd, 2014, 09:26
When the news was hot about DTG taking over FSX and possibly Flight a former Flight programmer said that basically the whole 'FS World' still lies beneath in the dungeons of what has become MSFlight, just there waiting to be unleased..

Wish i could remember were exactly i've read that... With all the pooha DTG is ventilating about wanting to become the leader in simulation games i have good hope that sooner or later we will see MSFlight taking off a second time. With the Train Simulator franchise DTG proves that they know what the're doing. They have taken MSTS(Kuju) and taken it 10 levels higher over the years. Why not with MSFlight... I mean, Boeings and Airbuses are nothing but trains with wings, right ?... :teapot:

The most wonderful and immersive virtual flight experience i have ever had in the quarter of a century of being a pixel pilot has not been with FSX or FS9, nore any of the iterations before that. It has deffinately been with MSFlight !

Bring on Flight2015 ! I can't wait ! :encouragement:

cheers,
jan

RAS_JF
December 3rd, 2014, 10:32
They have licensed the Flight engine and will be using it to power the next version of flight simulator.
Like you say Jan, they have the track record to do a good job with it.

hairyspin
December 3rd, 2014, 10:45
There is actually some work going on to make Flight useable over a much wider area than the original Hawaii and Alaskan add-on. Big iron and systems-intensive modelling like hardcore FSX fans might like are not part of the effort.

rcbarend
December 3rd, 2014, 15:34
Don't know what's exactly going on here ....

But my wish (both as a user and as a developper): that Dovetail teams up with LM, and releases a 64-bit "consumer-licence" version of P3D.
Not likely to happen, but you never know ....

This way the original FS* line would be continued, with "user/developper compatibility" being the main drive for me.
As you might read between the lines: MS-Flight is a dead-end.
But that's my personal opinion....

Rob

vortex
December 3rd, 2014, 16:09
Dumonceau, are you sure that MS Flight was 64bit? On the MS website it says the minimum spec is WinXP SP3 or newer and I'm sure I tried it out on my old XP 32bit machine. If there was a 64bit version, I'm surprised that LM did not try to licence it when they first looked at P3D.

Double J
December 3rd, 2014, 16:52
Dumonceau, are you sure that MS Flight was 64bit? On the MS website it says the minimum spec is WinXP SP3 or newer and I'm sure I tried it out on my old XP 32bit machine. If there was a 64bit version, I'm surprised that LM did not try to licence it when they first looked at P3D.

Flight is not 64 bit. It is very good and runs better than FSX out of the box with no tweaking. ie shadows , frozen water, wind noise and trees swaying in the wind.

Double J
December 3rd, 2014, 16:55
There is actually some work going on to make Flight useable over a much wider area than the original Hawaii and Alaskan add-on. Big iron and systems-intensive modelling like hardcore FSX fans might like are not part of the effort.

http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/welcome-to-the-all-new-microsoft-flight-form.431167/

http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/microsoft-flight.145/

Javis
December 3rd, 2014, 17:43
http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/welcome-to-the-all-new-microsoft-flight-form.431167/

http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/forums/microsoft-flight.145/

Interesting! ( the 'some development pictures' thread ) Thanks, DJ !

zswobbie1
December 3rd, 2014, 22:52
Don't know what's exactly going on here ....

But my wish (both as a user and as a developper): that Dovetail teams up with LM, and releases a 64-bit "consumer-licence" version of P3D.
Not likely to happen, but you never know ....

This way the original FS* line would be continued, with "user/developper compatibility" being the main drive for me.
As you might read between the lines: MS-Flight is a dead-end.
But that's my personal opinion....

Rob

Why would LM, a company marketing a training product, EVER got involved with Dovetail, a games distributor?
Yes, LM is working on a 64bit version of P3D! P3d was never part of the original FS (gaming) line. It has been developed (about 6 upgrades) from the original ESP sim (yes, based on FSX) that was only sold to professional users.

There is nothing at all said that Dovetail will be selling Flight, only that they will be using MS's flight technology!
That means that they could be licensed(?) for anything from the FS9 engine, to the Flight engine, maybe even FSX's engine.
We know that they will be re-distributing FSX-Steam, without any mods.
So, where does it leave us?
If they distribute Flight... remember, MS coud not give it away. So many complained about the console game play, 1x scenery & 1 or 2 planes (no VC)
FSX? yup, a 6-7 year old game that has never been updated (apart from Accelleration)
A game based on FS9? lol!

Again, where does it leave us?
For the gamers that want to dip their toes into simulations, Dovetail awaits.
For the serious simmers, an obvious choice betweem P3D or X-Plane?

Would the current payware developers that are seriously developing for P3D & other 'Pro'sims, start developing for a brand new sim? (the costs involved for developing for a nebulous (at this stage) sim is horrific.

By the way:
RAS_JF
They have licensed the Flight engine and will be using it to power the next version of flight simulator.
Where reported?? Wishful thinking?

Double J
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by vortex http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=921488#post921488)

Flight is not 64 bit. It is very good and runs better than FSX out of the box with no tweaking. ie shadows , frozen water, wind noise and trees swaying in the wind.
Certainly NOT 64bit. Ran worse, for me, than FSX, that I dumped for P3D that runs better, smoother than FSX!

The most wonderful and immersive virtual flight experience i have ever had in the quarter of a century of being a pixel pilot has not been with FSX or FS9, nore any of the iterations before that. It has deffinately been with MSFlight !
Different strokes, I surpose.. For me, & our VA, we wanted to fly in our home area, with localised planes, networked with traffic control, etc. Our procedures, scenery & add-ons, are FAR more immersive than Flight could ever be. This immersivness is accuratly shown in the simulators we have build, using FS9!

Phew, I had to get that off my chest.
Cheers,
Robin

Double J
December 4th, 2014, 08:21
Why would LM, a company marketing a training product, EVER got involved with Dovetail, a games distributor?
Yes, LM is working on a 64bit version of P3D! P3d was never part of the original FS (gaming) line. It has been developed (about 6 upgrades) from the original ESP sim (yes, based on FSX) that was only sold to professional users.

There is nothing at all said that Dovetail will be selling Flight, only that they will be using MS's flight technology!
That means that they could be licensed(?) for anything from the FS9 engine, to the Flight engine, maybe even FSX's engine.
We know that they will be re-distributing FSX-Steam, without any mods.
So, where does it leave us?
If they distribute Flight... remember, MS coud not give it away. So many complained about the console game play, 1x scenery & 1 or 2 planes (no VC)
FSX? yup, a 6-7 year old game that has never been updated (apart from Accelleration)
A game based on FS9? lol!

Again, where does it leave us?
For the gamers that want to dip their toes into simulations, Dovetail awaits.
For the serious simmers, an obvious choice betweem P3D or X-Plane?

Would the current payware developers that are seriously developing for P3D & other 'Pro'sims, start developing for a brand new sim? (the costs involved for developing for a nebulous (at this stage) sim is horrific.

By the way:
RAS_JF
Where reported?? Wishful thinking?

Double J
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by vortex http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=921488#post921488)

Certainly NOT 64bit. Ran worse, for me, than FSX, that I dumped for P3D that runs better, smoother than FSX!

Different strokes, I surpose.. For me, & our VA, we wanted to fly in our home area, with localised planes, networked with traffic control, etc. Our procedures, scenery & add-ons, are FAR more immersive than Flight could ever be. This immersivness is accuratly shown in the simulators we have build, using FS9!

Phew, I had to get that off my chest.
Cheers,
Robin

Need a tissue. I never said it was 64 bit. BTW straight out of the box I used 5 planes all them with a VC.

"Console game play" what multiplayer? just like every other sim or hauling cargo just like the popular "Cargo hauler"? The people who hated it the most hated it because it was not FSX. Click my above links to see what is going on. I will laugh my backside off if Dovetail does use the Flight engine for another SIM. People like yourself will avoid it no matter how good it is or what it becomes.

falcon409
December 4th, 2014, 08:27
Need a tissue. I never said it was 64 bit. BTW straight out of the box I used 5 planes all them with a VC.
Yea, I only remember 2. . .the A5 Icon and the Stearman, but you're right, they both had VC's and very nice ones as well. It'd be nice if they'd release those to the public if the sim isn't going to be released in it's original form.

Double J
December 4th, 2014, 08:29
Yea, I only remember 2. . .the A5 Icon and the Stearman, but you're right, they both had VC's and very nice ones as well. It'd be nice if they'd release those to the public if the sim isn't going to be released in it's original form.

RV7a, Maule, Deluxe Cub.

falcon409
December 4th, 2014, 09:31
RV7a, Maule, Deluxe Cub.
Weren't those additions though, if you progressed far enough along with the challenges and such? I never stayed interested in it long enough to get that far.

Lane Street
December 4th, 2014, 10:38
RV7a, Maule, Deluxe Cub.

Weren't those additions though, if you progressed far enough along with the challenges and such?

You had to buy them.

Double J
December 4th, 2014, 10:51
Weren't those additions though, if you progressed far enough along with the challenges and such? I never stayed interested in it long enough to get that far.

No, you did have to buy them they were like a whopping 8 bucks a piece or so.

zswobbie1
December 4th, 2014, 22:43

"Console game play" what multiplayer? just like every other sim or hauling cargo just like the popular "Cargo hauler"? The people who hated it the most hated it because it was not FSX. Click my above links to see what is going on. I will laugh my backside off if Dovetail does use the Flight engine for another SIM. People like yourself will avoid it no matter how good it is or what it becomes.

If I can use Flight with the 2x simulators we have at our VA, An Avro Shackleton, & an Aermacci MB326, known as an Impala here in South Africa. FSuipc is an essential tool to have as well. If there was our local scenery, with addons, carriers, & other freeware that enhances our sim, etc, then we could maybe consider Flight.
But, at the moment, Flight is useless to us.

No, we certainly do not 'hate' it because it is not FSX. How can you hate a game? Dislike yes, hate, not!.

Anyhow, we ended up using FS9 for the sims, as the immersion factor is more than perfect, the planes are available, the scenery is available, & FS9 is extremely stable on a reasonably standard PC. No fancy stuff as needed to run anything else.