PDA

View Full Version : Two simple questions - GPS binding and ATC comms

datter
January 26th, 2009, 05:37
Hi, it's the question guy again. :)

1) Is there a default key I haven't found to bring up the GPS unit? If not what, in the long list of key options, do I bind to get this to work. Hitting TAB for instance, to open/close the GPS.

2) I've found that sometimes my ability to interact with ATC via the keyboard goes away. When I start a flight I'll hit ` to bring up the ATC window, then a number corresponding to what I want to "say" and that works as advertised. Then later on, usually after hitting S for outside views the ` key will still bring up my ATC window, but the number keys no longer work to choose a communication forcing me to click with the mouse. I also find that the - + keys stop working to zoom my view in the 3d cockpit. Sometimes it comes back for some reason, but sometimes not. Anyone else getting that?

Thank you in advance.

JimC1702
January 26th, 2009, 06:08
I occasionally get the ATC problem where I have to use the mouse to click on what I want to say. After having done that, though, it seems to resume working correctly.

For the zoom issue, just hit your BACKSPACE key. It'll reset the view and the + and - keys will resume working correctly.

Jim

harleyman
January 26th, 2009, 07:17
I had that problem running ATC on my second monitor..My only solution was to restart it..A dead ATC on finals was not good...LOL:rapture:

srgalahad
January 26th, 2009, 07:45
I had that problem running ATC on my second monitor..My only solution was to restart it..A dead ATC on finals was not good...LOL:rapture:
It's just your sim's way of saying:
"Shut up and let me fly!.. I'm about to hit the ground and I'm scared you're not in control!"

Is there a default key I haven't found to bring up the GPS unit? If not what, in the long list of key options, do I bind to get this to work. Hitting TAB for instance, to open/close the GPS.

The open/close GPS key combo may vary from aircraft to aircraft as it's a sub-panel. Depending on the order they are written into the panel.cfg it will be SHIFT+2 thru SHIFT+9. You could modify all your panel cfgs to be the same but much easier to just learn which 'number' each sub-panel uses.

Rob

datter
January 26th, 2009, 07:56
I had not considered that possibility. :)

It's just your sim's way of saying:
"Shut up and let me fly!.. I'm about to hit the ground and I'm scared you're not in control!"

Rob

harleyman
January 26th, 2009, 08:31
The funny thing is that usually I'm never in control....That was too funny SrGalaghad.....LOL :applause:

chinookmark
January 26th, 2009, 10:42
I find that if the zoom stops working, all I have to do is click on the screen with the mouse and it will work again.

n4gix
January 26th, 2009, 11:04
...or, hit the Backspace key to restore focus... :ernae:

JoeW
January 26th, 2009, 13:08
To bring up the GPS in any aircraft, Hit ALT to bring up the dropdown menu, choose View, Instrument panel, GPS.
I have my keystrokes to switch from Nav to GPS selection for navagation with the "N" key. You can do that in the 'Keyboard Commands'.
:focus:

srgalahad
January 26th, 2009, 14:00
To bring up the GPS in any aircraft, Hit ALT to bring up the dropdown menu, choose View, Instrument panel, GPS.
I have my keystrokes to switch from Nav to GPS selection for navagation with the "N" key. You can do that in the 'Keyboard Commands'.
:focus:

ALT, v, i, g ... or SHIFT+3 .... hmmm 4:1(1.5?) Shortcuts are your friend!

Better yet, on my X-52 I have the shift key mapped to the pinkie switch on the stick and the numbers 2-5 mapped to the hat on the throttle .. no fumbling for the keyboard at all. 6 & 7 are mapped elsewhere or pinkie +6/7 works too

Or if you get lucky/rich/addicted and get a second monitor, open the essentials during preflight and move them over to the second monitor. :rapture:

Rob

SkippyBing
January 26th, 2009, 14:15
The ATC 'stops' working in some instances because the focus has changed to another window. I just adopt the silent procedure until I can click it again!