PDA

View Full Version : Team KBT Paint Kit

gray eagle
December 2nd, 2014, 04:38
Did Team KBT ever make available a paint kit for their FSX native version of the P3 Orion (DDS Format)?

If so, where is the link?

Thanks

huub vink
December 2nd, 2014, 04:55
Not that I'm aware of, but I assume you are not looking for a paintkit in dds format.......

Huub

gray eagle
December 2nd, 2014, 05:02
Not that I'm aware of, but I assume you are not looking for a paintkit in dds format.......

Huub

Well actually, I am because Team KBT has been producing P-3's of all different flavors as of late in DDS format and as such advertise that these are native FSX items.
Futhermore, I would think that a paint kit in BMP format would not create the dds files (Read format) that the current P-3's are in. This is not an affront to you but rather the facts.

G'Day. :adoration:

PS I did find a P3 paint kit however, it is in BMP format......

Edit: I think I remember other paint kits being in PSD (Photoshop) format.

DaveWG
December 2nd, 2014, 06:06
Paint kits can be any format, usually PSD, but sometimes BMP. I've never seen a dds kit. Regardless of the paint kit format, all you need to do is save the finished paint as dds.

falcon409
December 2nd, 2014, 06:27
Paint kits can be any format, usually PSD, but sometimes BMP. I've never seen a dds kit. Regardless of the paint kit format, all you need to do is save the finished paint as dds.

Correct Dave. Good paint kits (those that have layers attached) are as Dave says usually PSD (Photoshop). I use Paint Shop Pro and so I can usually import that format without any problems and resave as PSP (also layered). There is no DDS paint kit, you simply make the changes you want in the PSD textures and then save it as "dds". In Photoshop there is a plugin available that will do that for you. . .same with Paint Shop Pro.

gray eagle
December 2nd, 2014, 09:26
Correct Dave. Good paint kits (those that have layers attached) are as Dave says usually PSD (Photoshop). I use Paint Shop Pro and so I can usually import that format without any problems and resave as PSP (also layered). There is no DDS paint kit, you simply make the changes you want in the PSD textures and then save it as "dds". In Photoshop there is a plugin available that will do that for you. . .same with Paint Shop Pro.

Wow! did not know that. Thanks guys for that nugget of info. Learn something new all the time here.

I guess that KBT Paint kit for the P3 that was in BMP format would of worked for the FSX P-3. I got a PM here from someone asking for the KBT paintkit.
I sent him this link then I looked at the files and saw that they were all BMP and thought that would be for the FS9 format.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8v99bx2q99797e9/paint+kit.zip

huub vink
December 2nd, 2014, 10:41
Gray Eagle, the original microsoft file format for graphic files was bmp. As additional layers and featrures were needed the extended bitmap was introduced. This has a larger carrier which can contain more data like mipmaps and alpha layers which were needed in games including (combat) flight simulator. With the introduction of game consoles and the processors which came with them, the .dds format was introduced. This format doesn't differ much from the extended bmp file, but is already "flipped". Which is needed with most (game/graphic) processors. So extended bmp and .dds files are the files used in games.

For repaints you normally use a program which uses layered files, so that you can make changes to one layer without changing the complete file. So panel lines, shades, rivets etc. all have their own layer and you can put a camouflage scheme, or marking in another.
The usual programs to make repaints were originally photo editing programs like paint shop pro (.psp format files) Photoshop (.psd format files) or the freeware program Gimp (.xrf format file (?)). So these are the common programs to edit graphic files.

The paintkit behind the mediafire link is made of flat bmp files. Old dinosaurs, like me, have made repaints with MSpaint in the distant past. But in these days nearly all repainters use more sophisticated programs. So you could use the bmp file to create your own paint kit, but like it is now it isn't considered to be a paintkit by most repainters.

Cheers,
Huub

falcon409
December 2nd, 2014, 11:08
Wow! did not know that. Thanks guys for that nugget of info. Learn something new all the time here.
I guess that KBT Paint kit for the P3 that was in BMP format would of worked for the FSX P-3. I got a PM here from someone asking for the KBT paintkit.
I sent him this link then I looked at the files and saw that they were all BMP and thought that would be for the FS9 format.
Yea, there are still some payware companies whose paint kits are simple one layer bitmaps. . .a simple white aircraft with all the rivets, shading and panel lines already in place. You can use those if all you want to do is add some striping, decals or other coloring. . .but it is limited. You can also build your own layered paint kit from that single layer, but it takes time and perseverance. I've done quite a few that way and the end result is pretty rewarding, especially if you enlarge the base texture to 4096x4096 and then apply all the various layers. . .amazing resolution.

Lane Street
December 2nd, 2014, 12:00
For those times where all you have is a white texture to work with this video might help- YouTube - FS Aircraft Repainting with Layerless Base Textures (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwHkzVszOMg&feature=player_embedded)

Some of the techniques used in the video can also be used on layered paint kits.

Thanks to Bill Womack for creating the video.

cheers,
Lane

JensOle
December 2nd, 2014, 12:32
I made the HD paint kit for the P-3B and C. As it is HD it is very big and a complete mess with layers. If I get the time to sit down and do a cleanup I'll see if I can upload it to my dropbox.

gray eagle
December 2nd, 2014, 13:31
I made the HD paint kit for the P-3B and C. As it is HD it is very big and a complete mess with layers. If I get the time to sit down and do a cleanup I'll see if I can upload it to my dropbox.

Jens,
That would be most excellent. :encouragement:

ferondoe
January 24th, 2015, 01:30
Jens,
That would be most excellent. :encouragement:

Hello,
Where can I downloaded this paint kit ?
Thank you very much
Regards
Marty

gray eagle
January 24th, 2015, 03:57
Hello,
Where can I downloaded this paint kit ?
Thank you very much
Regards
Marty

Here ya go....

http://www.mediafire.com/download/x5f1bk44f13ddbf/KBT_P3__PaintKit.zip

ferondoe
January 24th, 2015, 04:16
Here ya go....

http://www.mediafire.com/download/x5f1bk44f13ddbf/KBT_P3__PaintKit.zip

Thank you Aigle gris !
Regards
Marty

Dumonceau
January 24th, 2015, 04:53

For a brief moment, I thought you would be taking up (re)painting GE!!

Something that I could never do, I am what you call "graphically handicapped". I was lousy at drawing and arts in school, so my guess is that I wouldn't exactly excell at it in FS matters!

BTW, Ferondoe has a point: your name/handle would be nice in French, Monsieur Aigle Gris! :eagerness:

gray eagle
January 24th, 2015, 05:26

Something that I could never do, I am what you call "graphically handicapped". I was lousy at drawing and arts in school, so my guess is that I wouldn't exactly excell at it in FS matters!

BTW, Ferondoe has a point: your name/handle would be nice in French, Monsieur Aigle Gris! :eagerness:

I did some "touch up" work with the P3 roundels; the geometry of stars were a little off. From using DXTMBP and paint.net, I did learn a little bit.
Not the avid artist/painter like many of those here at SOH. Now and then, I will experiment with a few paints.

Had to look up "Aigle Gris" and from the my perspective, it comes out Eagle Gray, n'est-ce pas? :adoration:
It does have a ring to it.

Voici l'Aigle Gris

Dumonceau
January 24th, 2015, 05:50
Had to look up "Aigle Gris" and from the my perspective, it comes out Eagle Gray, n'est-ce pas? :adoration:
It does have a ring to it.

Voici l'Aigle Gris

Almost! In the French idiom, the positions of adjectives and nouns are reversed! So it would still be gray eagle!

Navy Chief
January 24th, 2015, 06:07

I was was so lousy at drawing in school, I couldn't even draw a square properly! I appreciate all the work that goes into these repaints. NC:encouragement: