PDA

View Full Version : How to raise the interior model on a Native FSX aircraft

Wings of Gold
November 30th, 2014, 17:39
I have successfully substituted the interior model from one of my aircraft to another, but the new interior model is now lower than the previous interior model was, and needs to be higher. Can anyone tell me how to raise the interior model? I know how to adjust the viewpoint to the new interior model (which I have done), but the cockpit is just too close to the runway. Bill

falcon409
November 30th, 2014, 18:43
I am probably wrong on this but I don't think you can. I imagine the height was adjusted for the previous aircraft and you'd need the source code to get into the mdl file to adjust it to the new airplane. Like I said though. . .probably not correct.

Marvin Carter
November 30th, 2014, 19:16
Wings, do you mean eye physically raise vc model or raise the eye point of view in VC???

Wings of Gold
November 30th, 2014, 19:43
Hi Marvin,

I'm talking about if it is possible to raise the height of the interior (VC) model itself (not the viewpoint). It is lower off the runway than it should be in this type aircraft.

Bill

Jafo
November 30th, 2014, 20:34
I am probably wrong on this but I don't think you can. I imagine the height was adjusted for the previous aircraft and you'd need the source code to get into the mdl file to adjust it to the new airplane. Like I said though. . .probably not correct.

Pretty darn sure you are not wrong....;)

Mickey D
December 1st, 2014, 02:04
I have successfully substituted the interior model from one of my aircraft to another, but the new interior model is now lower than the previous interior model was, and needs to be higher. Can anyone tell me how to raise the interior model? I know how to adjust the viewpoint to the new interior model (which I have done), but the cockpit is just too close to the runway. Bill

As Jafo and Falcon409 say Bill you need the source code and if it's payware forget it. What's wrong with using the original? :)

dougal
December 1st, 2014, 02:34
As Jafo and Falcon409 say Bill you need the source code and if it's payware forget it. What's wrong with using the original? :)

I can understand why he might want to do this. Lets face it, when it comes to payware, some VCs are, without doubt, a little better than others. I've tried to be as diplomatic there as possible:biggrin-new:

Roger
December 1st, 2014, 04:10
I'm pretty sure that changing the viewpoint will effectively move where the vc is in the exterior model.

Dumonceau
December 1st, 2014, 05:40
I'm pretty sure that changing the viewpoint will effectively move where the vc is in the exterior model.

And you're right about that Roger! I merged the Aerosoft F-16 VC with the IRIS F-16D, and you need to use the exact same [view] settings in the aircraft.cfg file as with the Aeorsoft offering.

It works a charm though!

Dumonceau

falcon409
December 1st, 2014, 08:09
And you're right about that Roger! I merged the Aerosoft F-16 VC with the IRIS F-16D, and you need to use the exact same [view] settings in the aircraft.cfg file as with the Aeorsoft offering.
It works a charm though!
Dumonceau
Hmm ok. . .I won't contest what you guys say because you know more about these things than I do for sure. However as most of us have, I've done a lot of adjusting of eyepoint in my airplanes and when adjusting for vertical, once I have it where it's easier to see over the glare shield, if I look straight down at the seat to ensure I'm centered it appears that I've simply moved up out of the seat rather than the seat physically moving up with the eyepoint. . . .so to me it appears that the VC itself hasn't moved. . .only my position in the vc. . . .is that not correct?

Daube
December 1st, 2014, 10:36
Just like Falcon, I believe it is not possible to alter the position of the VC, because its coordinates are defined in the 3D model.
The viewpoints are just coordinates for the view, not for the cockpit itself.
In the past, there has been many tries, typically when people wanted to use the VC of a small liner in the longer variant for example. I've never seen anybody succeed.

Essex
December 1st, 2014, 12:13
Theoretically it should be possible to line up the interior and exterior models exactly by adjusting the reference_datum_position in aircraft.cfg, the trouble is you will need to make corresponding adjustments to every single other position reference in aircraft.cfg.
This would be relatively easy if it's just the height that needs adjusting. I'm not certain that nothing would need to be changed in the .air file.

anthony31
December 1st, 2014, 16:08
Think you might be out of luck with this one.

All models (.MDL files) have a centre position. 0,0,0.

Within the MDL file each part has its own axis which is offset from that centre position. And within every part each vertex is offset from the parts axis.

The viewpoint in the aircraft.cfg is also an offset from the 0,0,0 position so changing that will only alter the eye position and not move the model position at all.

Changing the reference datum position will also not move the 0,0,0 position. The reference datum position is just a way for a developer to enter the real world reference datum position (which most likely will not match the standard flight simulation center point) and then enter positional data directly from plans without needing to convert the datum position.

According to the SDK the location of the centre position is the "standard Flight Simulator center point, which is on the centerline chord aft of the leading edge."

No mention of how high or low to set the centre point though so you can get different interpretations of this position which leads to your issue.

If the position of the centre position is different between your exterior and interior models then as far as I know there is no way to individually adjust that centre position using aircraft.cfg or .air file tweaks.

You can use Model Converter X to load the MDL and that can move the model around relative to 0,0,0. This might be interesting to see exactly how far off the two models are by loading both the exterior and interior models and comparing their positions.

But unless you have the original modeldef.xml you can't export your changes to make a working MDL file.

You could, in theory, hack the MDL file with a binary editor to change the position but this would involve a lot of hacking as you would have to change each parts position (and there could be hundreds of parts).

Marvin Carter
December 1st, 2014, 19:31
Hmm ok. . .I won't contest what you guys say because you know more about these things than I do for sure. However as most of us have, I've done a lot of adjusting of eyepoint in my airplanes and when adjusting for vertical, once I have it where it's easier to see over the glare shield, if I look straight down at the seat to ensure I'm centered it appears that I've simply moved up out of the seat rather than the seat physically moving up with the eyepoint. . . .so to me it appears that the VC itself hasn't moved. . .only my position in the vc. . . .is that not correct?

Same here!!!

Bjoern
December 3rd, 2014, 07:26
I've just loaded the default 737 into ModelConverterX and moved the VC back by 10 m with MCX' "Transform" function. I've then exported it and it does seem to work in FSX without any ill effects.

This changes things by quite a lot.

- Edit:
The RAZBAM Metroliner breaks MCX' exporter.

- Editē:
Worked for the Fokker 27 though.

I guess that "The A321 VC doesn't fit PA's A318, A319 and A320 models!", "I need a VC for TDS' B737-600, -700 and -900" and "No CRJ900 VC?" aren't valid arguments anymore.

This is because the model makers (coincidentially) use the same origin point for the interior model.

Dumonceau
December 3rd, 2014, 08:00
Ok, I stand corrected! Thanks for the info.

However, I also merged the Supronov Design Vampire with the VC of the DGW Hawker hunter and using the [View] section of the Hunter, it works like a charm. Just don't look over your shoulder! :D

Same thing with the new Iris Phantom FGR2 (or FG1) that I merged with the Milviz Phantom VC. Works like a charm!

Dumonceau

Bjoern
December 4th, 2014, 05:14
As I've said: A properly placed origin for the interior model.