PDA

View Full Version : Best Hawker Hurricane for FSX?

JensOle
November 30th, 2014, 11:11
Hi,

What do people think is the best Hurricane available for FSX?

From my research it might look to be the JF model.

Best regards

dhazelgrove
November 30th, 2014, 11:18
If you want the Mk.1, then it's the JF offering.

There are others for later marques, though.

Dave

DaveB
November 30th, 2014, 11:19
The JF model is certainly my favourite Jens. Pity it's been so under-painted.. it deserves more:encouragement:

ATB
DaveB:)

JensOle
November 30th, 2014, 11:31
My main interest will be for a Mk.IIB model which was the first fighter used by the 331 Sqn in 1941 (they were not flown in the fighter bomber role and had therefor no bomb racks) . They also flew a few Mk.Is in the very beginning. With this information, what should I go for?

Is there a paintkit for the JF Hurricane?

dhasdell
November 30th, 2014, 11:50
I always think you can do a lot worse than JF. I don't know about a paint kit - you could try JF support or ask Bazzar himself.

WarHorse47
November 30th, 2014, 12:08
I just did some checking as I purchased the JF Hurricane recently.

They do have a paintkit download from their website under the support for the Hurricane.

Looking forward to some great repaints down the road. :biggrin-new:

Dumonceau
November 30th, 2014, 12:08
JF! Very nice model indeed!

OleBoy
November 30th, 2014, 12:17
Hey thanks for reminding me of the JF Hurricane. I got mine (JF BOB) "free" I think back in September of 2011 for taking that survey they had at the time. I don't recall what the survey was for.

I think it's time to roll it out of it's storage and ready it for a flight or two.
It's a very nice model and paint templates. Maybe a future project.

Now that I look at it, it is very washed out. Everywhere but the main bits in the interior.
I don't think I will mess with repainting it. I would have a hard time knowing where I say "that's enough" and would end up spending more time than I care too.

While looking for the install for the BOB Hurri, I also picked up the the First Class Sim "Stuka vs Hurricane" at some point back then. My ability to remember fails me.

Roger
November 30th, 2014, 12:19
I have it and it's been available for some time and apart from a desert camo repaint I haven't seen any other repaints. I'm personally not keen on the "rain washed" look of the default paints so I would be very chuffed to see some more repaints.

jankees
November 30th, 2014, 12:38
unfortunately, the rainwashed look is present in the paintkit in the same layer as all details like lines and rivets, so unless one redraws all the lines, your stuck with it.
One of the reasons I never did anything for it..
A nice Mk II, that would be nice. A2A?

JensOle
November 30th, 2014, 12:42
I don't know if any of you have heard about the book series "Spitfire saga" by Cato Guhnfeldt, its a marvelous piece of work which will when finished cover every part of the wartime history of the Norwegian Spitfire sqn's in a detail never before seen. 5 volumes so far with on average 370 pages in each volume with an astonishing number of never before seen pictures and color profiles. Really bring to life the lives and tales of the young Norwegians which went to war serving in the 2 Norwegian fighter squadrons. English summary of all chapters and picture text. Due to the very high print quality and high number of pictures, no publishing company wanted to take on the project and the author ended up with starting his own to publish it! Highly recommended if you are into the Spitfire.
The Hurricane connection is that Volume 1 covers the start of No 331 Sqn in 1941 and their first aircraft was the Hurricane (few seems to know this). A lot of both pictures and color profiles of the Hurricane and I think it would be nice to bring forward some of the forgotten history of 331 Sqn. And the RAF had some rather subtle humor with giving 331 the code FN... First Norwegian.. At least that is the popular story behind FN.

dhasdell
November 30th, 2014, 12:48
I looked too. The paintkit is at http://www.justflight.com/support/battle-of-britain-hurricane/0f37bbf

OleBoy
November 30th, 2014, 13:31
That's too bad, Jankees. I've enough in the fire for repaints.

I thought since I installed the BOB Huri, I might as well install the FCS Stuka vs Hurricane pack. Regretfully, and after a quick flight in all three, I closed Prepar3D and uninstalled them. I was reminded of times of having a lesser PC. When each aircraft loaded up, the visuals (sorry) had nothing going for them for my eyes to want to keep them in my hanger collecting dust. Back in the dark they went.

RobM
November 30th, 2014, 14:05
There is a Mk IId that comes with the Hawker Heroes package from First Class Sims, with underwing anti tank cannons.

The VC is nicely done from an eye candy point of view, and functional, but rather sparse compared to the clutter in the JF Mk I vc, which I believe is the more accurate look for a Hurricane.
There`s only the desert camo paint. I don`t know if it ever came with a paint kit.

Thanks - Rob

Bradburger
November 30th, 2014, 14:15
A decent and accurate Hurricane is sadly missing for FSX, be it payware or free. :(

I have both the JF Hurricane pack, and the First Class Simulations Hurricane pack.

Although I find the external FCS models more pleasing, particularly the MKI (the textures are much nicer too), interestingly, both of the models suffer from some of the same problems, such as oversized wheels/tyres, and that the wing is too thick outboard of the center section among, numerous other details.

The Virtual Cockpit of on the JF examples is superior to the sparse FCS one, and in fact I have used it to replace the VC of the FCS MKI.

Maybe FS Addons would consider one for their next project, on the back of their well received Anson!

Cheers

Paul

PRB
November 30th, 2014, 15:09
Like Bradburger and others, I have both the FCS and JF models. The JF has the prettier VC, no question. I like both of them. If I had to choose just one, it would be the JF.

OleBoy
November 30th, 2014, 16:47
I like both the models at the time of getting them. The JF BOB was the rage back then and everyone was interested in the development. If I had to choose best, I would mix and match as mentioned. JF interior model in the shell of the FCS model. My hang up is that they are both fairly dated for the type of hardware and capability we (I) have these days.

bazzar
November 30th, 2014, 21:49
I have just uploaded a plain paintkit for the Mk1 three-blade onward. It is pretty simple and devoid of weathering and scuffs f9or those wishing to repaint using their own effects.

The file to look out for will be called Hurri_PlainPaintkit.zip in FS2004 and FSX skins categories.

Cheers.

Baz.:engel016:

JensOle
November 30th, 2014, 23:30
Thanks Baz! Did you upload it here at the soh? May I ask if te paintkit had the camouflage scheme included?

bazzar
November 30th, 2014, 23:59
It is uploaded here at the SOH and no not the camouflage just the correct FS colours for the period RAF Dark earth and green.

Naismith
December 1st, 2014, 00:03
The Hurricane is one A/c deserving of some A2A love imo.

bazzar
December 1st, 2014, 00:19
Interesting comment. Thanks.

dhazelgrove
December 1st, 2014, 03:20
There's a set over at fspilotshop, by Sky Unlimited, which includes:

"Mk.I, Mk.Ia, Mk.IIa, Mk.IIb, Mk.IIc, Mk.IId and includes Tropical versions. All with new custom exhaust effects and scenery."

It says that the models are 'FSX-compatible', rather than native.

The First Class Sim offering is for:

Mk IIA, Mk IIB, Mk IIC Tropical, Mk IIC, Mk IV

Again, the suggestion is that the models are 'FSX-compatible'.

The FCS pack is on special. Suck it and see?

Dave

huub vink
December 1st, 2014, 03:41
Thanks Bazz! Appreciated!

I think the discussion about A2A and their future products was already done in another thread.

Cheers,
Huub

JensOle
December 1st, 2014, 14:00
I got the JF Hurricane today. A model with a lot of potential, but for us painters it is sort of a nightmare since it has "the old school" texture mapping of dividing the sections into many smaller textures which in itself makes it hard to do camouflage schemes. The default textures have sort of overcome this with blurry camo edges.. A lot of strange texture distortion, stretching and mapping for smaller parts makes especially the tail a very difficult area to get right.

Don't get me wrong Baz, it is a great model and nice representation of the Hurricane, the above is just my observation as a repainter.

Having said that I have done a try at painting it up as BD762 "FN-S" of 331 (N) Sqn as it looked in mid 1941 when based at RAF Skeabrea.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/British/Scrshot287.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/British/Scrshot288.jpg~original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/JensOle/British/Scrshot292.jpg~original

Roger
December 1st, 2014, 14:39
I'll be glad to download this repaint, Jens, as soon as it's ready.

bazzar
December 1st, 2014, 16:59
Nice scheme Jens.

I can put in the camo layers back in if you like but not sure when as it means two of everything ( A and B schemes)

That would just about leave only the squadron insignia to do. Not really a "repaint" as such in my book.

Personally, I like to see what others can do and how they do it. There are so many schools of thought on colours, whether a camo scheme is soft or hard-edged, gloss or matt, weathered or not.

For example I love the battered war-weary look from those hard days of the Battle of Britain. No time to do much other than quick repairs. Scuffs, paint chips, rain streak, exhaust stain bare metal where the pilot and ground-crew boots have worn the paint away, chips around the gun bay covers from many rapid re-arm sessions, mud... yeah bring it on!

Please remember the age of this model. A lot will indeed be "old school".:engel016:

JensOle
December 1st, 2014, 23:30
Baz, i think Im getting there with the camo.

The first thing i noticed when taking the hurricane up in the pattern for some t and g's was the visibility from the cockpit. The bird cage really makes it hard to see out. The canopy hood was really another great inovation found on the spitfire.

Do any of you know the reason for the rafs prewar fighter scheme of black and white wings?

dhazelgrove
December 1st, 2014, 23:53
Do any of you know the reason for the rafs prewar fighter scheme of black and white wings?

They were "Tactical Recognition" markings.

Undersides of Black/White/Aluminium were in place 1939/1940.
Black-and-white undersides (not just the wings) were also in place until 6 June 1940 - when the undersides changed to 'Sky'
This was replaced on 18 Aug 1941 by 'Medium Sea Grey' undersides. Black port wing undersides were re-introduced on 27 Nov 1940 until 22 Apr 1941. During this period the spinners were painted 'Sky'.

The Middle East scheme with 'Azure Blue' undersides was introduced on 22 Aug 1942.

Hope this helps.

Dave

DaveB
December 2nd, 2014, 00:36
That's a nice paint Jens and I'll be downloading it too:encouragement:

I know you were looking at specific squadrons but if you ever fancy a break.. perhaps you might consider this little tinker.. http://www.airliners.net/photo/Hawker-Sea-Hurricane/1916471/L/

She's a favourite at airshows in the UK and flies one of the oldest (if not THE oldest) 'original' Merlins. I appreciate it's a Mk1b but it should fit the Mk1 very nicely;)
ATB

dhasdell
December 2nd, 2014, 01:37
DaveB, I think that's a Sea Hurricane, not just from the paint scheme, but because you can just see the hook on the underside between the L and the fuselage band.

DaveB
December 2nd, 2014, 02:13
Hello Mate:wavey:

Yes indeed.. 7L is a Sea Hurricane but in the absence of a Sea Hurri model.. any port in a storm. I have this paint on the SU model but the SU model doesn't do it for me in FSX so it remains a static at Old Warden:( To say it's long in the tooth is an understatement!

ATB

dhasdell
December 2nd, 2014, 02:21
DaveB - Roight yow am!
:wavey:

David

DaveB
December 2nd, 2014, 02:35
:biggrin-new:

You've picked up my location well there Dave:encouragement: Fortunately, I left school to join the RN at 16 and after 16yrs service.. my accent had all but gone. A further 23yrs as a publican in the London/Berkshire area and there was absolutely no trace. When I started my current job here some 18months ago, a few of the lads asked where I came from.. noting that my place of work is Cannock!:very_drunk:

ATB

huub vink
December 2nd, 2014, 04:58
Great looking stuff Jens-Ole!

Cheers,
Huub

Dumonceau
December 2nd, 2014, 09:32
I anyone could do a repaint for the sole 3 bladed Belgian Hurri, H-22, I would be very much obliged!!

Dumonceau

huub vink
December 2nd, 2014, 10:52
I anyone could do a repaint for the sole 3 bladed Belgian Hurri, H-22, I would be very much obliged!!

Dumonceau

Make that two, however the Belgian Hurricanes had the old type fabric covered wings.

Cheers,
Huub

bazzar
December 2nd, 2014, 14:11
The original paintkit has tiles for the fabric wing versions.
A lot of the detail in these models was actually modelled into the 3D model.

I don't have time right now but you could take some clues from the pane lines on the tiles if you really don't like the weathering.

bazzar
December 2nd, 2014, 14:14
Baz, i think Im getting there with the camo.

The first thing i noticed when taking the hurricane up in the pattern for some t and g's was the visibility from the cockpit. The bird cage really makes it hard to see out. The canopy hood was really another great inovation found on the spitfire.

Good show mate.

Remember when the Hurri was first designed, pilots were used to doing much of their flying in open cockpits so flew with the canopy open unless in combat and at altitude. There.s a fantastic shot of the test pilot flying the prototype in a bowler hat!

JensOle
December 3rd, 2014, 05:51
Beta ready if anyone want to give it a try.

JensOle
December 3rd, 2014, 06:45
Could be interesting with an early Mk.I from 46 Sqn RAF as it looked during the Norwegian campaign in 1940 as well. The Hurricanes were embarked on HMS Glorious and flew off without difficulty. 46 Squadron was based at Bardufoss and flew patrols the land and naval forces at Narvik. Both the situation in the air, with constant fighting and patrols, and operating out of very primitive facilities in the spring with melting snow and mud were extremly demanding.
Many air combats took place, and in its brief campaign in Norway the squadron accounted for at least 14 enemy aircraft, besides probably destroying many others. On 7 June the squadron was ordered to evacuate Norway immediately and the Hurricanes were successfully flown back to HMS Glorious, even without arrester hooks. The squadron's aircraft and most of the pilots were lost when HMS Glorious was sunk by German warships on 9 June 1940.

NickB
December 3rd, 2014, 06:51
[QUOTE=JensOle;921389]Beta ready if anyone want to give it a try.QUOTE]

Have downloaded FN. Great job. Your colours look much better than mine and my weathering only extends to a bit of exhaust dirt. What RGB numbers do your green and dark earth have Jens?

vonstroheim
December 3rd, 2014, 07:02
Beta ready if anyone want to give it a try.

Very nice, takk!

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/531995hurricaneAlta.jpg

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/416932HurricaneTrondheim.jpg

JF Hurricane with Jens' RAF Norway repaint, over Alta and Trondheim (AoN (http://www.flightsimnorway.com/))

SpaceWeevil
December 3rd, 2014, 07:44
[QUOTE=JensOle;921389]Beta ready if anyone want to give it a try.QUOTE]

Have downloaded FN. Great job. Your colours look much better than mine and my weathering only extends to a bit of exhaust dirt. What RGB numbers do your green and dark earth have Jens?

I've been longing for a 'clean' Hurricane and these paints (both sets) are shaping up brilliantly - finally she can be a modern warbird!

Dumonceau
December 3rd, 2014, 07:56
Make that two, however the Belgian Hurricanes had the old type fabric covered wings.

Cheers,
Huub

And they were better armed Huub! .50 cals instead of those puny .30's!!!

Sometimes, even us Belgians get it right! ;)

Cheers,

Dumonceau

JensOle
December 3rd, 2014, 08:32
Nice Pictures!

Yeah, From what I have read many many RAF pilots would have wanted the .50 cal in their Hurricanes and Spitfires during the Battle of Britain. Not easy to bring down a bomber With just a bunch of .303's.
I believe the same problem was with the turrets on most of the RAF heavies. The 4x 303s in the Lancaster tail turret comes to mind as a very bad solution for bringing down 2 engined Luftwaffe nightfighters. The tail was maybe the most vulnerable point, facing canon armed fighters, but only had a rather short range weapon setup.

BTW, another Belgian question... do you know the story behind the colors on the Belgian uniforms?... For me and most others I would believe, it is looking like something coming from a rave rave party... In almost all scenery settings I have trained with and seen Belgians, the uniform just lights up with very little camouflage value.

Dumonceau
December 3rd, 2014, 08:43
Nice Pictures!

Yeah, From what I have read many many RAF pilots would have wanted the .50 cal in their Hurricanes and Spitfires during the Battle of Britain. Not easy to bring down a bomber With just a bunch of .303's.
I believe the same problem was with the turrets on most of the RAF heavies. The 4x 303s in the Lancaster tail turret comes to mind as a very bad solution for bringing down 2 engined Luftwaffe nightfighters. The tail was maybe the most vulnerable point, facing canon armed fighters, but only had a rather short range weapon setup.

BTW, another Belgian question... do you know the story behind the colors on the Belgian uniforms?... For me and most others I would believe, it is looking like something coming from a rave rave party... In almost all scenery settings I have trained with and seen Belgians, the uniform just lights up with very little camouflage value.

Do you mean the current Belgian camouflage? the denims? Well, they look better after having been washed a few times!

They worked a charm when I was working in them in Central Africa 20 years ago!

Dumonceau
aka Lt. Debleecker, 3rd Para-Commando Batalion, 17th Company

manfredc3
December 3rd, 2014, 09:33
This thread brought my attention back to the JF Hurricane that has been sitting in my dvd hangar. I too got in Sept 2011 for free.

Downloaded the texture, Jens. Thanks for your effort, As I have my FSX setup still configured for the London to Melbourne Race, I'll give it a spin around Mildenhall later.

And in the mean time I'm downloading the Norway scenery.(at least trying to :(

dhasdell
December 3rd, 2014, 10:23
I believe the same problem was with the turrets on most of the RAF heavies.

Late production Lancasters had twin fifties in a redesigned tail turret.

Bradburger
December 3rd, 2014, 10:59
Your colours look much better than mine and my weathering only extends to a bit of exhaust dirt.

Well, the colours of both the camouflage, roundels, and codes look spot on to me - I wouldn't change them.

And it's nice and clean too!

Looking forward to your repaint. :jump:

And thanks to Bazzar for uploading a new paint kit.

Cheers

Paul

vonstroheim
December 3rd, 2014, 11:04
I've made this repaint myself by mixing the "Yugo" fuselage with the "YBW" wings from the JF Hurricane package. Yes you could get the Hurricane for free by filling out this survey (http://www.justflight.com/articles/five-minutes-of-your-time-for-a-free-fsx-hurricane)...

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/843079HurricaneBardufoss.jpg

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/323909HurricaneVCBardufoss.jpg

Scenery: Bardufoss AB from AoN. Yes this free Airport of Norway (AoN (http://www.flightsimnorway.com/)) scenery is a bit tricky to install. But really worth it! FTX Norway will have unfair competition! Check this Avsim thread (http://forum.avsim.net/topic/430091-norway-updated-v2-fsx-and-p3d/) for directions.

JensOle
December 3rd, 2014, 11:15
Late production Lancasters had twin fifties in a redesigned tail turret.

I know, but I believe very few of these saw service during the war (?). I could of course remember wrong.

dhasdell
December 3rd, 2014, 11:58
400 completed by the end of the war, and used mainly in 1 and 5 Groups:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_turret

JensOle
December 3rd, 2014, 12:34
I read about the Rose turret when researching the Lincoln, interesting design. Accordingly to wiki under half that number were installed in actual aircraft.

bazzar
December 3rd, 2014, 15:12
Gee I WISH we could get lighting like this in FSX. GZ-L in P3DV2.2

Portia911
December 5th, 2014, 13:16
Anyone wanting to get in on this act, the Just Flight 'Battle of Britain - 70th Anniversary' pack (Hurricane, Spitfire and Me109) is on sale at JF for US$12.99
run, do not walk . . .

JensOle
December 6th, 2014, 02:43
Regarding the Belgian Hurricanes, I have done the Google search and found quite a few Pictures, do any of you Belgians have any additional info, Pictures, drawings decal Close ups etc?

A Belgian Hurricane should be a nice neighbour for the new Fokker I think!

Dumonceau
December 6th, 2014, 04:26
Hello JensOle,

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/79/66/0

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/interbellum/Hawker%20Hurricane%20I/h30_rb.jpg

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/79/pics/66_4.jpg

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Hurricane/Belgium-AF/images/COD-B1-Hurricane-MkI-Belgium-2Esc-H22-Belgium-1940.jpg

I'll try to find more!

Dumonceau

Portia911
December 6th, 2014, 15:46
Could be interesting with an early Mk.I from 46 Sqn RAF as it looked during the Norwegian campaign in 1940 as well. The Hurricanes were embarked on HMS Glorious and flew off without difficulty. 46 Squadron was based at Bardufoss and flew patrols the land and naval forces at Narvik. Both the situation in the air, with constant fighting and patrols, and operating out of very primitive facilities in the spring with melting snow and mud were extremly demanding.
Many air combats took place, and in its brief campaign in Norway the squadron accounted for at least 14 enemy aircraft, besides probably destroying many others. On 7 June the squadron was ordered to evacuate Norway immediately and the Hurricanes were successfully flown back to HMS Glorious, even without arrester hooks. The squadron's aircraft and most of the pilots were lost when HMS Glorious was sunk by German warships on 9 June 1940.

I would be keen to have a 46 sqd. Norwegian campaign version if you are inclined to do one, Jens.
Off to try out your FN beta now - thanks for sharing. :wavey:

dhasdell
December 6th, 2014, 23:17
With regard to 46 Squadron in Norway, this article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Jameson) is worth a look.

JensOle
December 8th, 2014, 10:00
Some very interesting stuff there. Jameson kept the Norwegian connection and later returned to command both 331 and 332 (Norwegian) Sqns when they were part of the North Weald wing. The two Norwegian fighters squadrons were fast learners and soon ranked among the top scoring fighter sqns in the RAF, but I think a very important part of their success was that the RAF "shepherded" them with some of the finest flying senior (wing level) officers in the RAF. People like Patrick Jameson, Adolph Gysbert "Sailor" Malan and Francis Davies Stephen Scott-Malden were very important in guiding the Norwegians.

I'm finishing up FN-S, it has some changed compared to the beta. I have also started on a Belgian fabric winged Hurricane, but the texture problems with stretching and mapping makes it very difficult to get a decent and correct scheme. FN-S has not the same scheme as seen on earlier Hurricanes and used during the Norwegian campaign and a 46 Sqn Hurricane will need a lot of work to get right.

I just got "Spitfire saga - volume 5" and it might look like my attention is moving over to D-day 132 (Nor) wing Spitfire IXs. The good old Realair Spitfire IX is still in my mind the best Spitfire out there, even if the base model can be traced back to FS9. And the best part, it is a joy to paint!

Roger
December 8th, 2014, 13:47
Thanks Jens:ernaehrung004: Hopefully there may be a few more:santahat:

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/12/08/OHDF3.jpg

Txmmy83
December 8th, 2014, 15:22
is there a Paintkit available for the FCS Hawker Heroes Hurricane?

best regards
Thomas