PDA

View Full Version : A "sea story" I was told........

Navy Chief
November 29th, 2014, 12:13
Way back in 1973, not long after I arrived at Patuxent River for duty, I stood my first hangar watch. The ASDO (Assistant Duty Officer) was a ADJ1 named Russell Doane. He told me many sea stories, which of course I found fascinating, my being recently out of boot camp and "A" School.

One such story was about a Naval Aviator, last name of Sears, and (according to Petty Officer Doane) was a direct descendant of the Sears of Sears and Roebuck Co.

Anyway, he said Sears was NOT liked by the flight deck crew, or for that matter, his squadron mates. He was somewhat of a show off. At that time, A-4 Skyhawks were in the fleet. Sears, he said, had a superior attitude, and would oftentimes ignore whatever the Plane Capt. would tell him, even skipping preflighting his aircraft. He was quite arrogant.

So on one occasion, Doane, strapped Sears in the cockpit, aircraft turned, and sent to the cats. Doane was in the catwalk next to the catapult Sears was on. Sears went through the "wipe out", checking flight controls, etc....and turned his head towards the Catapult Officer. Standing up in the catwalk, behind the Catapult Officer, Doane simply held up a large bolt. As Sears saluted, and put his head back for the cat shot, he apparently realized what Doane was holding, but the aircraft was immediately catapulted.

Upon landing, Sears had Doane report to the Ready Room, to explain his actions.

Doane simply replied, "Sir, I just wanted you to know that the bolt was not laying on the flight deck, and in danger of fodding your engine."

Doane told me many other stories, over the time I was at Pax River; many of them about Olongapo, ("Po City") in the Philipines. I almost felt I'd been there, listening to his tales. Alas, I never got the chance, as all the deployments I was on were Med.

NC

ejoiner
November 29th, 2014, 13:39
..Doane told me many other stories, over the time I was at Pax River; many of them about Olongapo, ("Po City") in the Philipines. I almost felt I'd been there, listening to his tales. Alas, I never got the chance, as all the deployments I was on were Med.

NC

Lucky you...no STD's!!

Navy Chief
November 29th, 2014, 14:13
Lucky you...no STD's!!

Oh, there were plenty of chances to get that in Naples. I think the area was called "The Gut"? I did not venture there though. There were those who did, and visited Sickbay afterwards.

gray eagle
November 29th, 2014, 15:18
Oh, there were plenty of chances to get that in Naples. I think the area was called "The Gut"? I did not venture there though. There were those who did, and visited Sickbay afterwards.

Unfortunately, I had shore patrol beats in the Gut. Had to break up a spat between a sailor and a restaurant owner. Sailor got a tab for an outrageous amount for cup of coffee. Sailor did not want to pay
the bill. Restaurant owner said that when you set at one of his tables that has plates, silverware and glasses that your tab includes the setting regardless if you did not use it.

Now in 'Po town, monkey meat on a stick for 25 cents was a good deal and good eating.

PRB
November 29th, 2014, 15:30
Dang, monkey meat on a stick was great! Had some interesting times there. There was this bar down the end of Gordon Street that had the best tacos ever, and the San Miguel bottles had ice on the sides. Miss those days! :)

gray eagle
November 29th, 2014, 15:59
Dang, monkey meat on a stick was great! Had some interesting times there. There was this bar down the end of Gordon Street that had the best tacos ever, and the San Miguel bottles had ice on the sides. Miss those days! :)

I forgot the name of that place (Villa's tacos?) but I ate tacos and hoisted a few San "Mugu's" there too. The beer there was the coldest in town I do believe.

Roadburner440
December 7th, 2014, 05:32
LOL.. Well for any of us involved in Naval Aviation no matter how long or short of a time you will always come in contact with someone like Mr. Sears. I have never seen anyone not preflight an aircraft. However the worst offender for me would write up MAF's like "circuit breaker to hard to push in" and he would demand that it be changed instead of the usual A799 or he would be sure to write us up and blah blah.. The funny thing is that guys reign came to a screeching halt when one day he got in to an argument with me one day about a cannon plug that was "leaking oil." No matter how much I tried to tell him that it was the gearbox above the cannon plug leaking down on the wiring, and blah blah I was just to stupid and he demanded I go get an AD out there (since I'm an AM) to look at this discrepancy. Funny thing is our MMCPO sent pretty much everyone outside to go look at this discrepancy for him, and told him that he had never seen a cannon plug leak oil before so he sent every single rate outside. Either way I never seen another stupid gripe from that guy again.

I mean personally back when I was a PC I wouldn't have been to concerned if they pre-flighted the bird or not. I am far from perfect, but always did my best to turn out a safe aircraft every time. I would probably think either they really trust me, or that they are just being lazy. In my 11 years of H-60's though I have noticed pilots have stopped doing pre-flights, and now the enlisted aircrewman are the ones doing them. Obviously pointy nosers don't have that luxury. :wiggle:

ejoiner
December 7th, 2014, 07:51

Ugh.. do not mention San Miguel beer to me!!!! I have spent the last 30+ years in international transportation and the container shipping business. In the early 80's as a kid, I was boarding Maritime Company of the Philippines ships in Savannah Ga. The captain of one such vessel was pretty much an alcoholic and started giving out San Miguel to boarding agents and ship chandlers. We had a little party and the drunkest I EVER, EVER got was drinking warm San Miguel. Got so drunk I barfed over the side of the ship. Going down the very steep gangway to get back shoreside late at night was a challenge to say the least. I am surprised I didnt wide up splatted on the quay side or in the water.

My head still hurts... MCP has been out of business since the early 80's so that was a long time ago!

E