PDA

View Full Version : at a loss with FTX CRM

heywooood
November 24th, 2014, 10:00
Hi Folks - I am having a problem and I wonder if anyone here can help
I purchased FTX CRM from FSS and cannot get it to install
I get the wrapper to open and function but when I click on the installer I get a very brief window that indicates the installation has begun but it opens and closes too fast for me to read anything on it -
I then get the warning box that says not to click finish until the installer is... ermm finished
But nothing is happening - However - when I check disk space I can see the file footprint is there...
So I click finish and....nothing
Then I check the disk again and the footprint is gone - as if nothing was installed - and it wasn't
I have the order # and serial and date of purchase so this is a legitimate problem with a paid for software I cannot apparently use.
I have been to FTX support forums but cannot figure out all the hoops I need to jump through to post my question - there is nothing similar in their FAQ
I'm just hoping someone here has had the same issue or knows of it and can assist
Thanks - I appreciate any help I can get

MM
November 24th, 2014, 11:33
Sounds like it is the Flight Sim Store (FSS) wrapper that needs attention -- rather than the Orbx content. You can go to the FSS support desk here:

https://flightsimstore.desk.com/

You might notice that there is a specific suggestion here:
https://flightsimstore.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/653958-wrapper-stops-responding-or-cannot-connect-to-the-internet-when-trying-to-validate-

And you can contact the site directly. In any case, the gentleman (Adrian?) who runs FSS has always been as helpful as he can be. Good luck with this.

--M

Portia911
November 24th, 2014, 12:03
Re-download, with virus protection off (?)

Roger
November 24th, 2014, 12:16
Are you unzipping the file or trying to run it from a view of the zipped file?

heywooood
November 24th, 2014, 13:30
Thank you all for your assists - I really appreciate it guys - I'm just flat stumped here

unzipping - firewall off - all files together in one folder - I have about 15 other FTX files that I have successfully installed in the past...
I own PNW, NRM and a host of airfields...this is the first time I have had any problems at all...so frustrating.

I have tried everything - starting over from scratch a few times - no soap

I'm waiting to have a chat with the help desk at FSS regarding the wrapper - I HATE wrappers

oh and before anyone asks - I have lots of room on the SSD for these files - just cant seem to get them to write on it

glennc
November 24th, 2014, 14:17
I've had that happen a time or two. Running the installer right after a fresh reboot seems to help.

Glenn

Anthin
November 24th, 2014, 14:32
Adrian will help you,he is a great guy.

Anthin

olderndirt
November 24th, 2014, 16:56
Be sure that FTX Central is set to 'North America'.

heywooood
November 25th, 2014, 06:53
Alright - im over it - im going to get a refund and walk away - who needs this aggravation -
Its thanksgiving and Ive been at this for three days now - Im out

Timbohobo
November 29th, 2014, 15:10
Its a shame you didnt at least try seeking assistance at the Orbx support forums before going down the refund avenue, we could have had you sorted and flying in no time.

heywooood
November 29th, 2014, 18:54
Its a shame you didnt at least try seeking assistance at the Orbx support forums before going down the refund avenue, we could have had you sorted and flying in no time.

it wasn't an orbx problem...it was more to do with the vendor and their wrapper and since thats where the money went, thats where I looked first for restitution.

as it turns out, it may have been the wrapper and some setting in my browser that were responsible - but since I have the matter resolved and the software is now installed, its all moot.

I thank the folks here who offered their assistance - much appreciated - thank you.

Bushpounder
November 29th, 2014, 19:13
Why would anyone shut off virus protection to download something and leave themselves wide open for an unwanted visitor? I don't understand that one.

Don

heywooood
November 29th, 2014, 20:37
Why would anyone shut off virus protection to download something and leave themselves wide open for an unwanted visitor? I don't understand that one.

Don
I agree, Don

Seems to me that the efforts to thwart piracy are actually hurting the vendors and developers almost as much as the piracy.
What does it cost to distribute through a vendor that uses this style of 'protection'?
How much more than that does it cost in lost revenue, to lose sales to many customers simply because of the hassle?
(of those people - how many are using the illegal sites to obtain files they would have happily paid for if not for the flaming hoops of protection these vendors use?)
these are just a few of the questions that run through my head whenever I encounter a problem purchasing addons for FSX

I prefer vendors who make it easy to buy, easy to install, and easy to reinstall without charges if possible -
The wrapper method is a last resort...and vendors who charge for renewed access to my already purchased files are also avoided...grrrr

ak416
November 30th, 2014, 02:51
Want to know the worst part? That wrapper does nothing to prevent piracy, you can open an extract the contents and bypass the wrapper entirely using very simple and free programs like 7 zip. It's a total joke, I tried mentioning this in a thread on the orbx forums and they just deleted my post instead of actually try and fix anything. Wrappers are an awful way to combat piracy and they do not work!

Timbohobo
December 1st, 2014, 12:36
Awesome, great, matter resolved, as always its best to seek help from the vendors support forum.

Francois
December 2nd, 2014, 00:53
I agree, Don

Seems to me that the efforts to thwart piracy are actually hurting the vendors and developers almost as much as the piracy.
What does it cost to distribute through a vendor that uses this style of 'protection'?
How much more than that does it cost in lost revenue, to lose sales to many customers simply because of the hassle?
(of those people - how many are using the illegal sites to obtain files they would have happily paid for if not for the flaming hoops of protection these vendors use?)
these are just a few of the questions that run through my head whenever I encounter a problem purchasing addons for FSX

I prefer vendors who make it easy to buy, easy to install, and easy to reinstall without charges if possible -
The wrapper method is a last resort...and vendors who charge for renewed access to my already purchased files are also avoided...grrrr

What's a 'wrapper' ??? An install program ??

(Oh, HI DON !! :-) )

ejoiner
December 2nd, 2014, 13:07
Hi Folks - I am having a problem and I wonder if anyone here can help
I purchased FTX CRM from FSS and cannot get it to install
I get the wrapper to open and function but when I click on the installer I get a very brief window that indicates the installation has begun but it opens and closes too fast for me to read anything on it -
I then get the warning box that says not to click finish until the installer is... ermm finished
But nothing is happening - However - when I check disk space I can see the file footprint is there...
So I click finish and....nothing
Then I check the disk again and the footprint is gone - as if nothing was installed - and it wasn't
I have the order # and serial and date of purchase so this is a legitimate problem with a paid for software I cannot apparently use.
I have been to FTX support forums but cannot figure out all the hoops I need to jump through to post my question - there is nothing similar in their FAQ
I'm just hoping someone here has had the same issue or knows of it and can assist
Thanks - I appreciate any help I can get

You dont say what your operating system is here, but if you are using win7 or win8, you should disable your virus software first, then also right click on the installer executable and select "Run as administrator". See if that works. You might also try as a second option to try running the installer in compatibility mode for winXP.

Dats all I got!

I have this FTX CRM and had no problems installing on Win81.