PDA

View Full Version : Non-Pilots Rejoice

Moses03
November 24th, 2014, 09:24
This is interesting-

"Cessna 172 pilot with no training, no hours, only flight simulator experience. Takeoff and landing".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJT_CACIZqs

PRB
November 25th, 2014, 15:30
I hate him...

hubbabubba
November 27th, 2014, 09:26
I should have learned to play poker instead of chess...:banghead:

txnetcop
November 28th, 2014, 17:54
He forgot to set trim for the crosswind on take-off and landing but really a good job!

Dynasaur
November 28th, 2014, 22:41
I can't recall if basic 172's had a rudder trim wheel. Certainly 152's , Cherokees and Tomahawks didn't.
Generally with a crosswind you would have to come in crabbing (slightly sideways into wind) on final, then straighten up on the flare - or come in with the windward side wing slightly lower (as in a slight sideslip)
On takeoff you would keep it straight with rudder on the ground then on climb out use a bit of rudder to keep on runway heading but with the nose into the wind.
I noticed that the instructor did the startup and taxi out and back - probably didn't trust the guy enough to taxi past other aircraft - I've known people that didn't realise how much wing hangs out each side.

Tom Clayton
November 29th, 2014, 10:14
On my 40th birthday, I took an "orientation" lesson in a 172. The instructor did the taxi out and takeoff, then when we were level, he said "The plane is yours, go that way!" He had his hands off the controls for the rest of the flight, right up until the turn from base onto final. At that point, he took over and landed, then let me taxi until we got to the parking area.

Now if I can just figure out a way to beat that on my 50th, I'll be OK - but I am NOT going to jump out of a perfectly good airplane!