PDA

View Full Version : DynamicHeadMovement

Bjoern
November 20th, 2014, 07:52
So far, I've only seen threads about how to disable this, but has anyone actually ever tried to improve upon the default values?

I've played with them a bit and came up with this:

[DynamicHeadMovement]
LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.1000
LonAccelOnHeadPitch=0.00500
RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.50000
YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.500000
RollAccelOnHeadRoll=-0.50000
MaxHeadAngle=45.000000
MaxHeadOffset=0.100000
HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000

I don't know if my numbers are worse than the default ones, but I like the increased reaction to roll movements. Combine this with BankingCam (http://fsx.voidstar.co.za/) and you can have a much more dynamic experience in FSX cockpits.

Warning:
Violent maneuvers might induce motion sickness.

What each of these parameters does is documented here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526984.aspx#DynamicHeadMovement

Maybe someone can come up with better numbers.

fsxar177
November 20th, 2014, 10:04
Thanks for the tips.
I think I'll try this out!

- J

ejoiner
November 20th, 2014, 10:49
So far, I've only seen threads about how to disable this, but has anyone actually ever tried to improve upon the default values?

I've played with them a bit and came up with this:

Maybe someone can come up with better numbers.

Interestng. Where do I put this updated number set? What cfg does this go in?

DaveB
November 20th, 2014, 10:52
In your FSX.cfg Eric. Look for the [DynamicHeadMovement] section and change the values to those above;)

ATB
DaveB:)

ejoiner
November 20th, 2014, 19:22
In your FSX.cfg Eric. Look for the [DynamicHeadMovement] section and change the values to those above;)

ATB

Thanks. I did try this out tonight. Very interesting. On approach to a carrier at night, stuff gets very lively with this mod. I am going to have to think about whether I want to keep this one!

E

DaveB
November 20th, 2014, 23:24
Thanks. I did try this out tonight. Very interesting. On approach to a carrier at night, stuff gets very lively with this mod. I am going to have to think about whether I want to keep this one!

E

I have DynamicHeadMovement turned off for that very reason;)

ATB

hschuit
November 21st, 2014, 01:00
This is a mod which I found a long time ago, I like it because it is more subtile, not as strong as the default :

[DynamicHeadMovement]
HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000
LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000
LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000
MaxHeadAngle=1.000000
MaxHeadOffset=0.030000
RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000
RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000
YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000

ce_zeta
November 21st, 2014, 02:20
Very interesting. Thanks. :encouragement:

Spikehughes
November 21st, 2014, 11:31
Very interesting. Thanks. :encouragement:

Yes, very interesting. I did try it out and thought it very lively. On landing in a strong crosswind however I found my view angled sharply inside the cockpit way too much (compensating for the outside external force I assume). I like the idea of a more jiggly experience in robust weather - but I can see why Microsoft decided to tone it down as, like in real life, it does get tiresome.

Thanks for experimenting Bjoern...

Bjoern
November 22nd, 2014, 10:23
Yes, very interesting. I did try it out and thought it very lively. On landing in a strong crosswind however I found my view angled sharply inside the cockpit way too much (compensating for the outside external force I assume). I like the idea of a more jiggly experience in robust weather - but I can see why Microsoft decided to tone it down as, like in real life, it does get tiresome.

Thanks for experimenting Bjoern...

You can tone down the tilt in the "MaxHeadAngle" line.

A quick way to tone everything down is altering the value in "HeadMoveTimeConstant" to something like 0.75.

Spikehughes
November 22nd, 2014, 11:27
You can tone down the tilt in the "MaxHeadAngle" line.

A quick way to tone everything down is altering the value in "HeadMoveTimeConstant" to something like 0.75.

Roger that - thanks again