PDA

View Full Version : DDS texture conversion

Hooky722
November 13th, 2014, 12:10
what do I have to do to preserve reflective textures when converting from fs9 textures to DDS I've just tried converting some really nice textures for the Virtavia Cutlass but the reflection seems to be flat now

Thanks

Hooky

Mach3DS
November 13th, 2014, 12:14
Do you use the DXTbmp application? If so, you might need to flip both the Normal Map and the Alpha Vertically. But I don't use FS9 aircraft, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will respond!

delta_lima
November 13th, 2014, 12:51
... a Cutlass, you say ... :encouragement:

One of the nicer portovers ... will be watching for this!

dl

Hooky722
November 13th, 2014, 13:03
... a Cutlass, you say ... :encouragement:

One of the nicer portovers ... will be watching for this!

dl

Bought up a load of the cheaper Virtavia designs lately. Its been pretty well overhauled for FSX no glass issues shadowing bump maps the works! but the only repaints I've found for it were done for the FS9 version (and they look fantastic) but I can't get the same shine on them in FSX!
15052 15053 15054

I'm sure there is a way for doing it I'm just still more fluent with Fs2004 techniques than I am with FSX I nearly had a fit trying to alter some traffic files yersterday:banghead: thanks for the input fella's

Hooky

Lane Street
November 13th, 2014, 13:06
Unless you are converting the model to FSX native, or using an AGP video card, there is no need to convert the textures at all.

FS9 format Extended Bitmaps work just fine in FSX.

cheers,
Lane

vonstroheim
November 13th, 2014, 13:39
You can use an automated script to convert a bunch of bmp files to dds. I'm using this old trick (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?20393-Painting-FSX-planes&p=223378&viewfull=1#post223378) by Wozza.

You'll need "imagetool.exe". You may already have it somewhere in your FSX installation. If not, get it here (http://www.flusi.info/tools.html)

And my "bmp2dds.bat" script file looks like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\FsxTools\imagetool.exe" -nobeep -nomip -DXT5 -dds -nodither *.bmp

Edit this file to correct the path to your copy of imagetool.exe. Then put a copy of "bmp2dds.bat" inside the folder where your bmp files are, and double-click on it.

Not sure if this script does what you are looking for (improve reflection) but it's so easy to use, why don't you give it a try? Converting BMP to DDS with this script has some advantages, like reducing the file size, removing the mipmaps (useless for non-AI aircrafts), fixing some DX10 issues... I use it with all my FS9 portovers.

delta_lima
November 13th, 2014, 13:50
Yes, thanks Hooky.

Mine is working fine in FSX - and those paints by Pierre Llerreux embody a wonderful, fun/fast paced period in FS history.

I'm picturing what Rick did with the B-58, with those highly reflective textures, and it's a very exciting prospect ...

http://www.pbase.com/image/54062008/original.jpg

Cees Donker
November 13th, 2014, 19:06
I'm sure there is a way for doing it I'm just still more fluent with Fs2004 techniques than I am with FSX I nearly had a fit trying to alter some traffic files yersterday:banghead: thanks for the input fella's

Hooky

Did you succeed in altering the traffic files?

:wavey:

Cees

DaveQ
November 14th, 2014, 08:28
Have you tried using DX10? I've found that with some FSX models reflective textures don't work with DX9. Don't ask me why.... An example is Manfred Jahn's C-47. Could be my graphics card because I've only recently become aware of the problem. I'm using an Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 Ti with an Intel i7-4820 processor.

DaveQ

Hooky722
November 14th, 2014, 10:56
Did you succeed in altering the traffic files?

:wavey:

Cees

No Cees I'm afraid not. I was going to take a crack at it again this weekend if I have time. I was trying to edit the Captain Sim traffic files that come with the CS Weapon expansion so that the Eastern Block aircraft stay in the DDR and Western aircraft don't wind up in North Korea sat next to a load of Migs!!!

Hooky722
November 14th, 2014, 11:21
You can use an automated script to convert a bunch of bmp files to dds. I'm using this old trick (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?20393-Painting-FSX-planes&p=223378&viewfull=1#post223378) by Wozza.

You'll need "imagetool.exe". You may already have it somewhere in your FSX installation. If not, get it here (http://www.flusi.info/tools.html)

And my "bmp2dds.bat" script file looks like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\FsxTools\imagetool.exe" -nobeep -nomip -DXT5 -dds -nodither *.bmp

Edit this file to correct the path to your copy of imagetool.exe. Then put a copy of "bmp2dds.bat" inside the folder where your bmp files are, and double-click on it.

Not sure if this script does what you are looking for (improve reflection) but it's so easy to use, why don't you give it a try? Converting BMP to DDS with this script has some advantages, like reducing the file size, removing the mipmaps (useless for non-AI aircrafts), fixing some DX10 issues... I use it with all my FS9 portovers.

I'm afraid that didn't work I'm probably doing something wrong tbh because there all still bmp's not DDS! lol nevermind, worth a try anyway, thank you But I think I'm going to have to live how they are anyway as it's just getting a little bit too complex for me at the moment, But next questions does anyone know of any decent afterburner effects that would look good on the AS Skyray the one's included look a little dated now to be honest.