PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas for Challenging Flights

RyanJZ
November 12th, 2014, 13:52
Basically I'm just looking to do something a bit different. I wanna do a flight to a destination that's exotic, or has a really difficult approach. Anything for airliners or bush/general aviation. Just wanna do something out of the ordinary instead of doing my regular regional and long haul flights :P

JimmyRFR
November 12th, 2014, 14:16
A payware suggestion may be to check out the AYPY Jacksons release from Orbx (https://www.fullterrain.com/product/ftxgaypy). It comes to mind only because it checks off quite a few of your goals: exotic, bush flying, challenging small strips, plus you could work a long haul in just to get there. However, it does require one to have invested in FTX Global, so if that's not something you've done, then you may want to pass.

ViperPilot2
November 12th, 2014, 14:35
I don't know if ORBX PNW has re-created the area in detail, but might I suggest trying your hand with some of the Idaho backcountry strips like Mile Hi, Salmon Arm, Johnson Creek and similar ones like that?

According to the Backcountry/ Off Airport Community, the Idaho Wilderness is one of the most popular areas in the US to fly, and some of the best environments to learn Backcountry flying.

Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) trains quite a few 'prospective' Pilots by using these strips; they fly Kodiaks and C-206's onto (into?) them on a regular basis.

Quite a bit different than your typical Q400 or ERJ regional hop...

Hope this helps!

:wavey:

henrystreet
November 12th, 2014, 16:12
Basically I'm just looking to do something a bit different. I wanna do a flight to a destination that's exotic, or has a really difficult approach. Anything for airliners or bush/general aviation. Just wanna do something out of the ordinary instead of doing my regular regional and long haul flights :P

Try a tour of Norway this time of year. Some great freeway scenery, beautiful airport locations, very interesting/varied approaches, and, oh yeah, the weather.

vl82m
November 12th, 2014, 16:35

Not exotic, but really different approach (and navigation) would be regional flights with Tupolev Tu-134A in Siberia using real Russian navigation systems (aircraft is modeled for 1980s operations in the Soviet Union). It's very difficult for most, and the learning curve is huge. But it is different, and you always have something to do, (especially navigating the taiga). Weather might get low visibility snowstorms this winter, it's very interesting challenge : )

Another thing to do would be small flights with Antonov-2 in the Antarctic, or Antonov-28/Cessna 208 operations in Africa.

Also Tupolev Tu-134/Tu-154 from Moscow Sheremetyevo to Tivat is interesting, mainly because of the beautiful landscape and tricky approach for Tivat. Many countries of the former Yugoslavia and others of the Mediterranean sea are worth visiting.

RyanJZ
November 12th, 2014, 16:54
Not exotic, but really different approach (and navigation) would be regional flights with Tupolev Tu-134A in Siberia using real Russian navigation systems (aircraft is modeled for 1980s operations in the Soviet Union). It's very difficult for most, and the learning curve is huge. But it is different, and you always have something to do, (especially navigating the taiga). Weather might get low visibility snowstorms this winter, it's very interesting challenge : )

Another thing to do would be small flights with Antonov-2 in the Antarctic, or Antonov-28/Cessna 208 operations in Africa.

Also Tupolev Tu-134/Tu-154 from Moscow Sheremetyevo to Tivat is interesting, mainly because of the beautiful landscape and tricky approach for Tivat. Many countries of the former Yugoslavia and others of the Mediterranean sea are worth visiting.
Ah yes! How could I forget? I've heard Novosibirsk and Krasnoyarsk can be extremely difficult weather-wise in the middle of winter. What about Kamchatka? I feel like that would be interesting...

vl82m
November 12th, 2014, 16:59
Ah yes! How could I forget? I've heard Novosibirsk and Krasnoyarsk can be extremely difficult weather-wise in the middle of winter. What about Kamchatka? I feel like that would be interesting...

Many of my best moments in FS have been around Novosibirsk, the weather there can get crazy and I've had frozen landing gear twice. Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky is one of my favorite places to go, it can be extreme weather and if not, you have the view of the volcano. Aerosoft has payware scenery for it.

Most flights from there are done within Russia with regional airliners, but Anchorage is not far away from it.

norab
November 12th, 2014, 17:08
don't know if you might find this interesting or not. beta version of a scenery I'm doing for a few pals. In Pennsylvania there is an anomaly in the FSX (and P3D V.1.4 ). A hole approx. a half mile long and quarter mile wide with nearly 600 foot sheer sidewalls. No ILS or any landing aides, Just the MK.1 eyeball, runway boundary lights if you want to try it at night and some, say we say, fanciful scenery. If there is any interest, I could upload it here.

15028 15029 15030

SeanTK
November 12th, 2014, 17:12
The following works best with detailed addon scenery (mesh, landclass, and airports) alongside real weather.

Bodo, Norway to one (or more) of the airports in the Lofoten islands: Svolvaer Airport (ENSH), Stokmarknes Airport (ENSK), Leknes Airport (ENLK).
Bergen (Flesland Airport), Norway to Molde (Aro Airport), Norway
Fly into either Mt. Cook or Milford Sound airport in New Zealand.

manfredc3
November 12th, 2014, 21:51
Most challenging ever: Lukla!!

PHo17
November 12th, 2014, 23:48
I have collected a list of challenging airfields all over the world (ICAO Airfield, Country). Those are mostly for airliners (not for bush flying). I haven't been able to find FSX airfields for all of those. Propably there are much more of these airfields in the real world.

BGBW Narsarsuak, Greenland
BIIS Isafjurdur, Island
EGBR Barra International, Scotland
EGLC London City, GB
EKVG Färö, Denmark
ENHV Honningsvåg, Norway
ENSB Svalbard, Norway
FXME Matakane, Lesotho
KCLR Cliff Hatfield, California USA
KDCA Ronald Reagan, Washington USA
KLGA La Guardia, NY, USA
LFLJ Courschevel, France
LIPB Boizano, Italia
LLMZ Mezada, Israel
LOWI Insbruck, Austria
LOWZ Zel am Zee, Austria
LPMA Maderia, Portugal
LSZA Lugano, Swizerland
MHTG Toncontin Teguicigalpa, Honduras
NZMF Milford Sound, NZ
NZQN Queenstown, NZ
OPGT Gilgit, Pakistan
PADK Adak, Alaska, USA
PADU Unalaska, Alaska, USA
RCLY Lan Yu, Taiwan
RPVE Caticlan, Godovedo P Ramos, Philippines
SBRJ Santos Duomont, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
SBSP Gongonhans, Sao Paulo, Brasil
SEQU Mariscal Sucre, Equador
SESM Shell-Mera, Equador
SLCN Charana, Bolivia
SLSU Sucre, Bolivia
SPNP Ventilla, Peru
SPRF San Rafael, Peru
SPVI Vicco, Peru
SPZO Cuzco, Peru
SVMD A Carnevali, Venezuela
TDCF Canefield, Dominica
TFFJ St Bart Gustav III, Saint Bartholomey
TNCM Princess Juliana, St Martin
TNCS Juancho E. Yrausquin, Saba Nethrlands Antilles
TVSM Mustique, St Vincent & Grenadines
UIKB Bodaybo, Russia
VHHX Kaitak, Hong Kong
VI66 ****he, India
VISM Shimla, India
WMBT Pulau Tioman, Malaysia
WMBT Tioman Island, Malaysia
VNLK Lukla, Nepal
VNSB Syanboche, Nepal
VQPR Paro, Bhutan
ZUNZ Lin Zhi, China

Pekka

Dimus
November 13th, 2014, 02:12
I don't know if ORBX PNW has re-created the area in detail, but might I suggest trying your hand with some of the Idaho backcountry strips like Mile Hi, Salmon Arm, Johnson Creek and similar ones like that?

According to the Backcountry/ Off Airport Community, the Idaho Wilderness is one of the most popular areas in the US to fly, and some of the best environments to learn Backcountry flying.

Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) trains quite a few 'prospective' Pilots by using these strips; they fly Kodiaks and C-206's onto (into?) them on a regular basis.

Hope this helps!

:wavey:

The Mile Hi is very nicely done in ORBX CRM without any additional scenery needed. We flew this on line last evening and had lots of fun landing uphill! You need a Cub with really big wheels.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/2014-11-12_0-0-23-171_zps15a89a37.jpg~original (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/VDimus/media/2014-11-12_0-0-23-171_zps15a89a37.jpg.html)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/2014-11-12_0-0-50-8_zps0d04080a.jpg~original (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/VDimus/media/2014-11-12_0-0-50-8_zps0d04080a.jpg.html)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/VDimus/2014-11-12_0-3-51-300_zpsabea8b43.jpg~original (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/VDimus/media/2014-11-12_0-3-51-300_zpsabea8b43.jpg.html)

Bjoern
November 13th, 2014, 06:12
Go back to the good old days when fuel prices weren't an issue and haul a 727-100 into one of the smaller airports of the US. DCA or LGA would be good for a start.

jankees
November 13th, 2014, 07:37
take a cessna or a R44 and go mustering cattle in the Australian outback?

JimmyRFR
November 13th, 2014, 10:56
Another possibility is some of the Pacific Islands Simulation scenery, such as their Marshall Islands pack. Some very small strips, surrounded by a *lot* of water.

Dave Torkington
November 13th, 2014, 11:20
LLH Scenery 'Courchevel' LFLJ is very very tricky because of the surrounding terrain, sloped runway and like Lukla no chance of a go around!

Beautifully made scenery too by the way :applause:

http://www.llhinfo.com/llh5x_en.html

Dave.

RyanJZ
November 13th, 2014, 13:21
Wow!! GOt a lot of great suggestions here! Definitely gonna try these this weekend

Rudyjo
November 13th, 2014, 13:30
Almost any destination can be made challenging by going to advanced weather and setting it to 1 mile of visability and foggy.

JimmyRFR
November 13th, 2014, 18:28
Almost any destination can be made challenging by going to advanced weather and setting it to 1 mile of visability and foggy.

Gosh, isn't that the truth. Add in a plane with no gps, using dead reckoning, and be low on fuel since you've just flown 470 nm on your 65 gal tank, and you really have some excitement.

rich12545
November 13th, 2014, 19:33
Here's a place you might like:

http://bppilots.iwopop.com/

Also, there's a fellow named Canova who made about 200 missions that fit what you're looking for and they're all at FlightSim for free.

falcon409
November 13th, 2014, 20:03
Hope this helps!
I'm actually working on Johnson Creek right now. Photoreal ground texture, custom buildings and so on. Might be completed this weekend if I can get enough reference material. The only Salmon Arm listed in the airports section is in Quebec I think. . .none listed for Idaho. . .unless it's one they forgot about.

rich12545
November 14th, 2014, 04:26
Salmon Arm CZAM is in British Columbia.