PDA

View Full Version : Warbirdsim Lines of Products

Peg o my heart
November 11th, 2014, 06:45
I visited the warbirdsim website after accidentally watched a great clip about the P-51s. And I'm a bit confused with all those various addons, Mustang Tales, Then and Now series, Flight Leader and so forth. Frankly, I could keep on guessing and searching reviews but thought it would be great to be enlightened by warbirdsim's user(s) here. Yes I dont have the A2A Mustang and im on the fence between the two. Im not really into bubble canopy (Im not really into Mustang either, just own the A2A's P-47D) but boy do those the B/C variants kick grass.. thanks in advance.:very_drunk:

===EDITED===

Oh never mind, forgive my ignorance.. There is the "technical" sub panel in the site, it explains all. But it would be much appreciated reading users opinion

Daveroo
November 11th, 2014, 07:20
just buy em all...thats what im doing...taking me awhile..but still...

SpaceWeevil
November 11th, 2014, 07:24
The B/C is an older model in FSX as well as real life, but I've never regretted getting it (Fighter Leader X) for a second. There's a terrific YouTube video in 3 parts of Kermit Weeks flying his P-51C 'Ina the Macon Belle' and it's such a blast to watch it and then recreate the flight in the same P-51, which is included in the Fighter Leader X pack. Sorry to ramble on, but I AM into the Mustang!

huub vink
November 11th, 2014, 07:55
The Warbidssim models are extremely accurate models of real aircraft. The models from the restored aircraft really match the original for 100%. The vintage "little friends" are an exact match the specific subtype. So in most cases a package contains several subtypes. The are also packages which contain an aircraft as it flew during the war and in restored state. I hope this makes a bit sense.

In general, when you want to have 100% accurate model, the Warbirdsim P51 is the model for you. When you want to have a more generic model which options like accusim you should purchase the A2A model.

Cheers,
Huub

Mach3DS
November 11th, 2014, 09:26
Here's a review/Article I wrote a while back...so some info dated, but most still valid, and I've removed the interview portion:

5/31/2012 – Updated 11/2012

Behind the Scenes at Warbirdsim

I have been flight simming since the good old days of Chuck Yeager’s Air Combat. I can’t even remember the year, but I think I started around 1994. I was 14 years old. Now, at age 32, 18 years later and holding an FAA Instrument rated Commercial Single Engine Land and Multi-Engine Land certificate and working for a large Aerospace company in the northwest USA, I have flown classic instruments, glass cockpit and twin turboprop. Through it all I am still flight simming. You could say I have a healthy obsession with aviation and flight simming in general. I tend to gravitate towards realism, so naturally I’m always on the lookout for the next big item that will help my flightsim experience get closer to reality. Warbirds have always been a passion and I had been searching unsuccessfully for a P-51 for FSX (which I thought would quench my thirst for this legendary aircraft), sadly I hadn’t found one.

In the summer of 2010, I was first introduced to the Warbirdsim line of products when I discovered their webpage almost by accident while doing an internet search for P-51 photos. I was blown away by the screenshots of the North American P-51B/C/D Mustang. The detail seemed incredible to me. However, at the time I didn’t take the plunge. It wasn’t until recently, with the release of the P-51D "Then and Now" series Cripes A’Mighty, that I finally succumbed.

If science and art came together in the dark days of WWII, then the Mustang was their offspring. When I first saw the Warbirdsim P-51D, I knew that this collaboration had happened again, only this time in FSX. I was so thoroughly impressed with the detail in the "Then and Now" Mustang, that I also purchased the "Little Friends I" package. Most recently I have also purchased the P-51K "Dogfight" series. The beauty of the iconic North American designs has been reborn in these elegant reproductions. The detail is enormous (far too much to mention in this article).

Virtually reconstructed from North American Aviation production plans, each assembly, bracket, or panel is meticulously reproduced. The cockpit elegantly touts authenticity. Paint chips, worn edges. A removable gun sight to which reveals a replica mounting bracket underneath. Extremely detailed and restored one-of-a-kind individual cockpits, which represent the individual Mustangs. This is truly a classic model builder's aircraft.

The artist-engineers at Warbirdsim (who deserve no less of a title) have continued in North American’s tradition of commitment to quality. In the latter years at North American Aviation, a sign could be read posted on the factory floor:
“Quality must be built into a product. It cannot be inspected into it.”

My experience with the Warbirdsim brand is that this fine tradition has carried forward into this modern virtual restoration of the Mustang.

Of course, the Packard Merlin engined P-51's are famous for their 2-speed, 2 stage supercharger, giving this Mustang what the early Mustangs lacked: power at altitude. Faithfully reproduced, watch for the change from low blower to high blower somewhere in the neighborhood of 17,500 feet (MSL).

Something I wanted to test right from the first flight was the legendary torque effect on a go around. I strapped on Big Beautiful Doll, and initiated a purposefully incorrect go around procedure on a circuit around KEDW and was thoroughly impressed as I jammed full throttle and initiated a climb attitude, I was rolling over into the runway as is expected from so much power and little to no control authority at low speed. What a thrill! Although I did scratch her up pretty badly…don’t try this in a real airplane…it will ruin your day!

Most recently Warbirdsim has released in collaboration with Flight Sim Replicas, the Dogfight series, featuring the Dallas produced P-51K from Warbirsim -- The major noticeable difference being the distinctive “Dallas” Canopy. It’s a more streamlined and tapered bubble teardrop canopy. According to the Warbirdsim team the following was the production run history of the P-51K models. Note the P-51D Inglewood California Equivilant:

200 P-51K-1-NT (P-51D-5-NA equivalent))
400 P-51K-5-NT (P-51D-10-NA equivalent)
600 P-51K-10-NT (P-51D-15-NA equivalent)
300 P-51K-15-NT (P-51D-20-NA, and later P-51D-25-NA equivalent).

Multiple Variants have been included. Including the rare Aeroproducts installe propeller types, which varied from the Hamilton Standard propeller. One noteworthy piece of Mustang trivia is that P-51K’s were only produced at the Dallas Plant, which is inaccurate. The Dallas plant also produced identical P-51D’s as well.

For those interested in some future projects keep reading. However, I will reveal (at the time of the writing of this article) that the gun sighting system, including the throttle twist/gun sight reticule action will be available in the future iterations of Warbirdsim Mustangs! This has been a long time goal which will be available for the first time in the near future.

Remember, each one of these Mustangs was developed from their real world counterpart. They flew with real pilots, who had real lives. Each one has a very real history. Each one has a unique story. We have a chance to experience it. I wanted to share this great experience with the flightsim community. I see too often in some forums comments along the lines of: "I don’t see why I should spend money on another model with only a different paint scheme?" Heresy! These Mustangs are truly collector's items. Each represents a real P-51. There are no "generic" Mustangs in this stable. This is my tribute to the Warbirdsim developers. To this outstanding FSX add-on which brings back the romance, beauty, art, sound, feel and variety of this North American Aviation classic, and aviation legend. My hope is that this interview gives the reader a small glimpse into the world of the developer; a small taste of the passion and hard work which goes into re-creating these virtual flying icons.

I would like to give a big thanks to John Terrell and Albert Patrick of Warbirdsim for pulling back the curtain and allowing us a small glimpse into their world. At the end of the day, it truly is the people who matter most. Without their talent and vision, The P-51 Mustang in all its forms would have ceased production long ago. Some examples which will yet be coming off the Warbirdsim production line have not seen the light of day since the originals disappeared.

Ian Warren
November 11th, 2014, 09:51
just buy em all...thats what im doing...taking me awhile..but still...
Just get greedy like me ..... :adoration: YIP, buy them all :encouragement: ..... problem fixed

DaveB
November 11th, 2014, 10:50
I've been baffled by the variations too though I've never actually gone and read 'seriously' what these represent so thanks from me too:encouragement: Noting the accuracy in which each model has been made, do they have to be flown 'by the book' too.. eg, is there a 'wash'n'go'/idot mode or does each switch have to be made as per the real thing? I love what these represent but I'm not sure I want a fortnight of ground school before jumping inside.

ATB
DaveB:)

huub vink
November 11th, 2014, 11:00
Dave,

I have most of them and fly most of them. Once you've learned how to fly a virtual P51 it is quite simple. And although there are differences, they fly all more or less the same. Instrumentation and switched may differ, but I didn't have any problems with it. And to be honest I'm one of these persons who never read a manual before I get in to trouble.....

Cheers,
Huub

DaveB
November 11th, 2014, 11:24
hahahahaha.. thanks Huub:encouragement:

Yup.. I have to admit the last thing I do is **** and only if I can't get something to work. I have the WWII Fighters P51D which has some quirks but is a wash'n'go model.. no sign of Accusim and I'm happy about that. I've nothing against every switch having to be faithfully made but enjoy the option of a quick start mode as with MilViz. I've so many models and fly only a handful regularly.. having a quick start function is a god send. I'd really like Ferocious Frankie though. I was a member of OFMC's Tiger Squadron (supporters group) some years ago and had the privilege to spend a day cleaning and polishing their fleet with the daughter and a small group of volunteers. It'd be nice to fly that lovingly Wadpolled aircraft;)

ATB

fsxar177
November 11th, 2014, 14:08
In terms of realism, accuracy, and sheer beauty;
There is no other Mustang for FSX.

skyhawka4m
November 11th, 2014, 17:22
I own them all and have close to 200 repaints to fly

Peg o my heart
November 11th, 2014, 17:24
Thank you peeps. Rick, awesome mini review there, it helps a lot. :encouragement: Im gonna go with the ones with very shiny texture, guess it is the Mustang Tales (?)

No one has mentioned engine wear and tear feature, just curious though?

DaveB
November 13th, 2014, 04:35
I'm really glad you bought this question up..

http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/3of41.jpg

http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/3of42.jpg

http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/3of43.jpg

http://daveb.cbfsim.org/public/3of44.jpg

I dived in and got Pack1 and I love it, love it, LOVE IT! A few shots taken this morning with the rest of the OFMC/Breitling Fighters. Frankie is from WBS Pack1 (of course) ZD-B is from RealAir, Ray Hanna's love is the old Iris model and the Corsair (which needs to learn how to leave it's drop tanks behind and turn it's LL off) is from the Aircraft Factory. The WBS models are so good, I wanna eat 'em!

ATB
DaveB

jankees
November 13th, 2014, 07:12
That pic of Frankie reminded me of something, the original was a D-5 model, so with a small tail and a 413- fiscal number, and look what I painted a long time ago:

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Belgie/FX16234.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/Belgie/FX16234.jpg.html)

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/Belgie/FX16235.jpg (http://s722.photobucket.com/user/jcblom60/media/Belgie/FX16235.jpg.html)

so if you ever decide to buy that version too...

I have to say, I have a few too many of them (not really interested in modern warbirds), and I have to admit I don't fly them all that much, I prefer the A2A version for my flying, it feels more alive, although the WBS looks better and has all the correct versions. A WBS version with accusim, now that would be the perfect Mustang...

DaveB
November 13th, 2014, 07:46
Ah.. a wartime version. Thanks for that Jan:encouragement:

ATB

DaveB
November 13th, 2014, 10:33
Does anyone know if a Gunfighter paint (CY-U) was done for the WBS model? I've found one for the A2A model but that doesn't help much:( I fly (and crash!) the Parkzone RC P51 and it would be nice to have one less scarred in FSX:encouragement:

ATB