PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim Spitfire IX by Morton!

Morton
November 10th, 2014, 10:44
I made these two Spifires on a request for the FSX version of the old Alphasim Spit IX so I thought I might upload them for use on the CFS2 model as well.
This should be a complete package, but if you want, you can download the original from the net.

Please notice that I have replaced the panel and pilot. (Dont like the originals).

Morton

Morton
November 10th, 2014, 11:26
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/191814156484368449.jpg
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - British

Description: I made these two versions on a request for the FSX version of the old Alphasim Spit IX so I thought I might upload them for use on the CFS2 as well.This should be a complete package. Please notice that I have replaced the panel and pilot.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit mk_Alpha-SpitIX.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=19054&catid=50)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

miamieagle
November 10th, 2014, 14:17
Thank you!:applause:

kelticheart
November 12th, 2014, 03:39
Nice realistic repaint, Morton!

Am I wrong or this is a MkVIII? I know late MkIXs had the same enlarged, pointed rudder which first equipped MkVIIs and VIIIs, but it's the retractable tailwheel that's confusing me. I was not aware of MkIXs with retractable tailwheels, never too late to learn something new.

Thank you!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Cheers!
KH :ernaehrung004:

Morton
November 12th, 2014, 08:42
Am I wrong or this is a MkVIII?

You are right Keltic. Of course. The Alphasim package came with two version , IX and VIII and I used the wrong model. But the texture fits both :adoration:

Morton

Rami
November 12th, 2014, 09:57
Morton,

Many thanks for all of your work on this, :applause: I have finally re-entered the CFS2 world after several weeks. :wavey:

kelticheart
November 13th, 2014, 00:11
You are right Keltic. Of course. The Alphasim package came with two version , IX and VIII and I used the wrong model. But the texture fits both

Morton

Ah! The caped Rivet Counter Night Reaper struck again!.....:biggrin-new: :biggrin-new:

Please forgive me, I am always testing my aging memory banks, I am glad this time I did not goof up!

B.T.W.: I was missing some of your legendary battle worn, weathered paintworks! Perhaps you might be interested in Ted Cook's fabulous series of RAF bombers Shessi is adapting to CFS2 and churning out at an accelerated pace? Including JDT's last effort of Ted's Hampden?

You already worked on those, now the need to adapt old textures to new mappings is making some of your artworks obsolete. I tried tweaking a couple for the Hampden, unfortunately the need to use textures+alpha textures for cockpit transparencies provoked the same well-known and hideous effect of colour bleeding in squares, which worsens up each time the texture is saved in DXT1 or DXT3 format.
I am having one hell of a time in trying to adapt some of Gary Burns' BoB scenery textures to a better historical layout, like reshaping grass and/or concrete areas but, as soon as I save them with their own alpha mask, the new texture comes out as if I had washed a pair of red socks in a white-only laundry batch. :hopelessness:

You must have surely saved your original works, with only one save pass to add the alpha channel the degradation is almost unnoticeable. Would you consider updating your old textures to the new models?

Cheers!

Morton
November 13th, 2014, 12:21
I understand your frustration KH. God knows how many hours I've wasted on some textures because of that. Especially those with very smooth color transitions. In fact with this Spit I had exactly that problem. Every time I saved it got worse. My workaround is first saving the orginal texture in 24bit format and then do all the work on that copy. It's easy to check the progress just by copying in the 24bit in DXTBmp and save it in DXT1 or DXT3. When you're satisfied just one "Save" is required.

I'll check my Hampden's and see what I have..

Morton

Desert Rat
November 13th, 2014, 12:40
Kelti, Morton,

how many textures are you talking about? The 3 Morton Texs I have are already updated with permission and in my uploads.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links_search.php?action=show&userid=25&sort=d

Look for the 'Original paint by Morton, adapted by me.' in the uploads, 3 of them.

I'd gladly help update others to suit, as I have several skins in progress still (real life has put a slight hold on things, back soon)

Jamie

Desert Rat
November 13th, 2014, 12:43
Sorry, forgot, great looking Spits Morton, as always. Can never have to many, especially when they look that good.

Jamie

Morton
November 13th, 2014, 13:56
JDTinballs, sorry. I was a bit quick there. It's been some time since I loaded up the Hampden. But I remember now I came to the conclusion that your reworked original textures looked much better than mine so i saw no point in trying to add any more. Your Hampden collection is just perfect as it is! :very_drunk:

Morton

Desert Rat
November 13th, 2014, 14:07
Morton,

If you have other textures, please feel free to do/upload them. (I can shoot you the Photoshop templates for the mapping changes if you want?) Whilst I had texs in progress/planned, I also have model work planned too, so would actually be a good thing. I was just concerned Kelti was trying to adapt your original 3 texs when they had already been done.

I will get back on this when I can grab some time. Planning on a Hereford next.

Jamie

kelticheart
November 14th, 2014, 03:59
Morton,

If you have other textures, please feel free to do/upload them. (I can shoot you the Photoshop templates for the mapping changes if you want?) Whilst I had texs in progress/planned, I also have model work planned too, so would actually be a good thing. I was just concerned Kelti was trying to adapt your original 3 texs when they had already been done.

I will get back on this when I can grab some time. Planning on a Hereford next.

Jamie

Jamie,

please forgive me. It's that 10% rivet counting soul that took the best of me. I know you did a splendid job re-adapting Morton's skins, yet you could not escape the paint-bleed effect of repeat saves in DXT1/3 format this texture format does.

You only repainted that file, now I can't remember its name, that covers the top part of the Hampden fuselage and the top of both engine cowls. That file has also the glass texture and its related alpha transparency.

I can see the degradation caused by the paint bleeding, but it's only Microsoft's fault for this type of texturing. I tried doing the same thing you must have done, starting from Morton originals, but I got the same results.

Since few years ago when I did some Pearl Harbour repaints for Japanese aircraft, I was able to reduce those hideous paint squares caused by such bleeding by starting from the original stock skins (which BTW have already a certain degradation caused by the same problem), I simply thought that starting from Morton's originals we could have gained the same.

Criticism was the remotest thing in my mind, I love what you did. My apologies if you took it as such. :culpability:

Cheers!