PDA

View Full Version : MAAM's N3N....I'm still in pain

heywooood
November 9th, 2014, 20:42
..over the decision by Jan and co. to cease work on this vital piece of aviation history

TARPSBird
November 10th, 2014, 00:44
If they have it to the level of completion as shown in your screen shots it seems a shame not to finish it. The engine pic looks like a photo of the real thing.

heywooood
November 10th, 2014, 10:34
Agree 100% - but the last time Jan posted on it he was firm about having lost the motivation and was pursuing other interests / priorities.

Now with the work he is doing on the cockpits for Manfreds DC3 models, I am beginning to wonder if there is a sliver of hope for the N3N - or for the chance that the work could be
passed to another developer for completion *cough* A2A *cough* Manfred * cough* Vertigo * cough * GAS * cough * somebody * cough * PLEASE*

I am In Pain

TARPSBird
November 10th, 2014, 13:01
Just speaking for myself here, but... if that N3N were offered as payware by any of the popular developers you mentioned or "as is" by Jan himself (if it's his personal creative property), I'd grab it immediately. :encouragement: Maybe some other folks who like pre-war Navy stuff could put their two cents in.

Craig Taylor
November 10th, 2014, 14:18
My dad was in the V-5 program for naval aviation cadets during WW II and learned to fly in these"Yellow Perils," as were known. Draw your own conclusion as to how they got the nickname, but just imagine young men barely out of high school tearing up the skies in these en masse. I always loved hearing about it. It would be great to have one in FSX. :-)

Roger
November 10th, 2014, 14:28
Fantastic detail! Shame if it never sees the light of day.....

Alan_A
November 10th, 2014, 15:11
Great looking model but how close was it to completion? Were there flight dynamics? Sounds? Were gauges coded or are those just visuals? Not trying to be provocative - I honestly don't recall. But depending on how much progress had been made on those fronts, it might take a lot of effort to finish it. Would be grateful to get a better sense of where it stands currently.

heywooood
November 10th, 2014, 15:24
well - even with a few shortcuts - lets say one were to use the Stearman flight model from an existing FSX model, and maybe borrow a few gauges...with permissions of course -
I would not be too picky

On the other hand, a true, dedicated effort at matching the r/l N3N click for clack would be preferred naturally

hairyspin
November 10th, 2014, 22:05
... a true, dedicated effort at matching the r/l N3N click for clack would be preferred naturally

That's where all the real donkey work is, coding and testing the systems. It's a drudge, compared to the modelling.

heywooood
November 11th, 2014, 07:59
yes - having access to developer commentary on these boards helps one to understand just what it takes to make these aircraft work as they should within the FSX framework

always reminds me of this image...

FentiFlier1
November 11th, 2014, 10:48
Personally I have more interest for a decent N3N than for the upcoming C182... :biggrin-new:

Owen

gray eagle
November 11th, 2014, 11:03
My dad was in the V-5 program for naval aviation cadets during WW II and learned to fly in these"Yellow Perils," as were known. Draw your own conclusion as to how they got the nickname, but just imagine young men barely out of high school tearing up the skies in these en masse. I always loved hearing about it. It would be great to have one in FSX. :-)

Wow! So was my Dad. He flew those Yellow Perils when he was at Corpus Christi. He told me that he once flew under a bridge on the Brazos River in Texas.