PDA

View Full Version : Black water.

Anthin
November 8th, 2014, 13:39
I have a large problem. I downloaded the new FSWC water config.
from Striking software. Tried one of their presets and now the water
has turned jet black. I have been trying everything I can think of
without any luck. Any ideas on how I could fix this. water is still ok
in DX9.
Here's hoping.
Anthin.

lownslo
November 8th, 2014, 14:10
Try reloading the Water Options in DX10 Fixer's control panel. If that simple fix fails you might have to delete the Shaders10 folder and let the sim rebuild it (will happen automatically the next you you open the sim).

HTH

Greg

Anthin
November 8th, 2014, 14:12
Where do I find that shader10 folder?
Thanks Anthin.

lownslo
November 8th, 2014, 14:22
What OS are you using?

Anthin
November 8th, 2014, 14:29
Windows 7 64bit Home Premium.

lownslo
November 8th, 2014, 14:37
It's at: C:/User/(Your Name)/AppData/Local/Microsoft/FSX. Just delete the Shaders10 folder, then go fly in FSX.

Greg

Anthin
November 8th, 2014, 14:40
Greg. I have tried that path but I keep getting not Local Roaming and a message says cant find it.
my flight sim is on my E drive.

Anthin

lownslo
November 8th, 2014, 15:06
Do you have a "Users" folder on the root of the E: drive? If so, try there. Also, a search should yield the location... there are only two folders in that specific FSX folder: Shaders (DX9) and Shaders10 (DX10). No need to delete the Shaders folder, just the Shaders10.

Greg

Anthin
November 8th, 2014, 15:33
Finally found the Shaders 10 and deleted them
Started the sim,still Black water. Also a large patch of white water.
Will try again.

Anthin

lownslo
November 8th, 2014, 15:39
I'm curious what happens if you now go into the DX10 Fixer and reapply the Water Options?

Greg

Edit: Also, did you configure using FSWC+'s DX10 settings?

Anthin
November 8th, 2014, 15:46
Yes I did
My warer button is greyed out in the fixer.
Is there a way to reinstall it wit the button
not greyed out?

Anthin

lownslo
November 8th, 2014, 15:54
Might be time time to consider removing FSWC+... just to test the situation. You say the water is fine in DX9, so perhaps removing the program, then deleting the Shaders10 folder and re-applying DX10 Fixer's Water Options.

Others here have added FSWC+ and are running fine in DX10, so hopefully they can weigh in on this issue.

Greg

Edit: Just saw where you added the greyed out Water Options button in DX10 Fixer. Just uninstall then reinstall the Libraries... the button is near the top of the Fixer's page.

Anthin
November 8th, 2014, 16:02
Will try that. Going to take a break for a while as I am in a lot of pain
Anthin.

Corpse_Grinder
November 8th, 2014, 16:47
I hope you get this sorted Anthin. I am using the new water configurator with the "North Atlantic" preset. I had to tweak the settings a bit to get things to my liking but I love it so far. I did have to reload the shaders a couple times because I had apparently "over adjusted" the sliders. It says on the Striking Software site that one known issue is the ranges are not tuned. To get the results I wanted I had to use VERY MODEST slider movement. I had made some pretty drastic adjustments and lost all my reflections and wave action. I just reloaded the "North Atlantic" preset and started tweaking again using smaller adjustments. I hope this helps you a bit.

Known issues:

Water modification ranges have not been tuned and may result in dramatic changes.

Anthin
November 8th, 2014, 18:20
A heartfelt Hi to you Corpse Grinder.

Yeaaaaaaa!
that was it!. OMG. I reduced sliders to zero. Water does not look great
but from here I can tinker around and get them back to what I had before.
What a relief. I came very close to girding my loins for the dreaded re-install.
And a thanks to greg for his help.

With many thanks . Anthin.:jump::running::redfire:

Corpse_Grinder
November 8th, 2014, 19:43
A heartfelt Hi to you Corpse Grinder.

Yeaaaaaaa!
that was it!. OMG. I reduced sliders to zero. Water does not look great
but from here I can tinker around and get them back to what I had before.
What a relief. I came very close to girding my loins for the dreaded re-install.
And a thanks to greg for his help.

With many thanks . Anthin.:jump::running::redfire:

So glad you got it sorted Anthin! I'm glad I could be a bit of help. I have not really been active on these forums for quite some time. Back in the early 2000's I was really active in the CFS3 modding community, but since then I have been over at FSEconomy for the past several years and I am a Pilot Service Rep (forum admin) over there. You should stop by some time if you fancy some GA flying. A pleasure to meet you as well sir!

Happy Landings!

~Justin

Anthin
November 8th, 2014, 20:23
A real pleasure to meet you Justin. As yet I have not been able to change greyish water textures
but it maybe a start. My poor old heart can't hope with these problems cropping up recently.
If you can think of a way I can improve water textures it would be great.

So far I have been unable to change the texture. If that is the case I will accept my current texture
and continue on.
Anything is prefable to a complite reinstallI . I am so glad to be a member here at the Outhouse.

Thank you.

Anthins blood pressure slowly dropping. LOL.

:applause:

Corpse_Grinder
November 8th, 2014, 20:35
If your texture is grey, perhaps adjusting the saturation slider in FSWC might help. I believe this adjusts the over all texture color.

~Justin

Anthin
November 8th, 2014, 21:00
Bad news Justin, I now have White water.! I tried to change water texture
with fswc lite and now it has become a nightmare. I have no ideas anymore.
I did try adjusting sliders but nothing happened.

Anthin.

Corpse_Grinder
November 8th, 2014, 21:13
If you run into problems, just reload the shader preset from FSWC Public Preview and try again. :encouragement:

Corpse_Grinder
November 8th, 2014, 21:22
Also...

Keep in mind that every time a slider is adjusted you must restart the sim to see it the adjustment take effect.

Anthin
November 8th, 2014, 22:10
Have done that. I am now back to black water. I am going to to take a break till morning
as I am in extreme pain. Sorry I have severe spinal problems. Thank you and I will try
tomorrow.

Anthin.

JoeW
November 9th, 2014, 05:25
I have a couple of questions. How do you un-install the new FSWC? I also just can't get the water button to go un-grey in Steves DX10 Fixer. Thats why I installed the new FSWC. I had the other version of FSWC and I set it to default and uninstalled it. Also I have a Shaders 3 mod in my control panel. when did that get installed?
Thanks.

Corpse_Grinder
November 9th, 2014, 05:44
Anthin,

Please stay strong with this one, the end result is WORTH IT! Here is a pic of my water just off the coast of PJON. Keep in mind, I have a fairly decent system. I am running an AMD 8 core at 4.0 with 16Gb of RAM (FSX will only use 4Gb) with an Nvidia GTX760 2Gb video card. It has taken a lot of tweeking but I think my water looks fantastic. I am running DX10 exclusively and as far as textures I am running REX4 and Gizmo's 4096 water textures found here...

http://www.strikingsoftware.com/ccount/click.php?id=20

HOWEVER.......I did not install the complete Gizmo texture package. I install all of them except "OceanHeight20FieldLayer.dds" and "OceanHeight20FieldHigh"

In my opinion the new FSWC Public Preview is an absolute winner. I just think you are missing a little something here or there that is causing your issues. Can you give me a little insight on your rig specs?

Anthin
November 9th, 2014, 10:20
Hi Justin.
My rig is i7 overclocked to 4.4 gh, Gtx 670,1TB HD for my flight sim,
water cooled.
Getting pretty depressed with this. Cant find the shaders again.
How do I access them. I don't understand the path. If you can explain to me
the procedure I would be very thankfull.

Have just tried the new fswc and now have very bad looking
blue water with weird markings. I guess I just have keep trying.
Wondering if I should try the file you supplied.

Anthin.

Corpse_Grinder
November 9th, 2014, 10:46
If you are using FSWC Public Preview just select the "North Atlantic" preset and apply. Then load the sim and see if you have any kind of decent results. If your water is once again viable try to start adjusting sliders....but again...only small adjustments. After each adjustment reload the sim to see the results. I would only move the sliders by 5% at a time as large movements create drastic results.

Anthin
November 9th, 2014, 10:56
Ok. I will try that. Thanks.

Ah where to I put the north atlantic file?
If I click on it I get a message can't open it.
Anthin.

Corpse_Grinder
November 9th, 2014, 11:24
Just so we're clear....you are using this version of FSWC correct? http://www.strikingsoftware.com/forum/index.php?topic=2982.0

Anthin
November 9th, 2014, 11:33
Yes that is the version I am using.
Anthin.

Corpse_Grinder
November 9th, 2014, 11:37
You shouldn't have to put any files anywhere. The UI should do it for you. The UI will not uninstall though. Just click the North Atlantic preset and click apply.

Anthin
November 9th, 2014, 11:44
Thanks Will try that.

Anthin
November 9th, 2014, 11:55
Water is now a dark blue. Going to take a break now and thanks.
Anthin.

Anthin
November 9th, 2014, 13:24
Justin do you think Rex 4 will work with fswc. It did with fswc lite.
Wish I could go back to that combination.
Also I can't figure out how to follow the path to the shaders 10. Any help there would be
appreciated.
Anthin.

lownslo
November 9th, 2014, 14:31
Also I can't figure out how to follow the path to the shaders 10. Any help there would be appreciated.
Anthin.

Glad to see you're getting your water back. Follow the path I noted in post #6 above. It should be either on your C: or E: drive. When all else fails try to search "FSX" (the name of the folder you're looking for).

Greg

Anthin
November 9th, 2014, 14:41
I think my problem is I don't understand how to follow the path.
How do I start. I have tried typing the path you suggested but it
is not reconised. If you could explain exactly the steps it would be great.
Anthin.

lownslo
November 9th, 2014, 14:56
First click on the Windows globe in the very lower left corner of your screen. When the menu pops up click on "Computer" which will bring up a screen that shows all your drives. Click on the C:/ drive, then simply follow the folders. On the C:/ drive you'll see a folder named "Users", then inside that folder you'll see at least three folders and click on the one that has your name, next you'll see a bunch of folders... click on the folder named "AppData", then click on the folder named "Local", then the folder named "Microsoft", and finally the folder named "FSX". Inside that last folder will be the "Shaders" and "Shaders10" folders. If it's not on the C:/ drive try the same routine on the E:/ drive. If this still doesn't get you there try to do a search for "Shaders10" (although you must be certain the the "Shaders10" folder you find is the one you're looking for... it must be at the end of the path I outlined above).

HTH

Greg

Anthin
November 9th, 2014, 15:09
Thanks Greg will try it shortly.

Anthin
November 9th, 2014, 15:30
Thank you Greg. Worked a treat. I might have a think of FSWC lite
back on as it works in conjunction with Rex 4. I guess if I uninstalled
FSWC and then deleted DX10 shaders let it rebuild. Then install Lite..
Do you think that might work?
Anthin.

lownslo
November 9th, 2014, 15:34
I could be the wrong guy to ask (don't use REX4 and stopped using FSWC some time ago after going to DX10) but you really can't do any harm deleting the Shaders10 folder. The sim will simply make a new one next time you fly.

Greg

Anthin
November 9th, 2014, 15:43
Thank you Greg once again.
Anthin.

Anthin
November 9th, 2014, 17:26
One last question on this subject.
The best way to uninstall FSWC and if I get rid of this program
then delete DX10 shaders,will I then have default shaders after
rearting FSX?

I really want to go back to my combination of FSW Lite and Rex 4
which was really incredible.

Here's hoping
Anthin.

Hughes-MDflyer4
November 9th, 2014, 17:31
Wait, you want to uninstalled a superior, completely rewritten, newer version of FSWC and go back to an older version because you can't figure out how to use the new version?

The concept behind the new FSWC is literally the same as FSWC Lite. All you have to do is select a preset and click "Apply." I would recommend against using the sliders if you're having trouble figuring out what they do.

Anthin
November 9th, 2014, 17:38
Yes,Yes. I had great water textures but what I have now are crap.
I desperately want to get my old textures back. Beauty is in the eye
of the beholder.

Hoping someone will answer my question.:banghead:

lownslo
November 9th, 2014, 17:47
The Shaders10 will be rebuilt after you delete them no matter how you have the sim configured or the add-ons you choose. The sim will look at the textures you have installed and the settings you choose (including those of a third party water configurator) and make the shaders accordingly. The trick is to get the textures back to the configuration you had before.

Good luck,

Greg

Anthin
November 9th, 2014, 18:00
That does not sound good. I really want to reinstall FSWC Lite.
I really do not want to reinstall FSX.

Anthin.

Hughes-MDflyer4
November 9th, 2014, 18:17
I just can't understand why you'd give up on newer, better software. It's as easy as clicking one button to apply a water preset that's already configured properly (just like FSWC Lite).

For example, one of the DX10 presets, Acadia, should result in something similar to this: (colors and waves may vary slightly if you're using REX, as their textures are different than default.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63450419/fswc_example.jpg

No editing of sliders necessary if you don't know what to change. It's already nice "out of the box."

Also, FSWC does not modify your textures. It modifies the shaders.

Anthin
November 9th, 2014, 18:27
As I said beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My combo
of Lite and Rex was incredible. I was very happy with it
period. What I have now is utter Crappola!

This is not an answer to my straight forward question.

And BTW Rex does not work with this.

Hughes-MDflyer4
November 9th, 2014, 22:41
It was incredible? Then why try changing it in the first place? :cool:

It may not be an answer to your question, but if you try what I suggested, it might help. I'm not really sure what your process was for applying the shader settings, so I'm just offering suggestions starting at the basics.

REX is compatible with FSWC. REX is a texture modification. FSWC is a shader modification. As I just tested for myself, they both work together without issue.

Anthin
November 10th, 2014, 13:20
Finally managed to get it sorted. Thanks everyone.
Anthin.

big-mike
November 11th, 2014, 06:53
Now i`m the stupid with FSWC.
Can`t get back my default water.Deleted the Shader folder a few times but no luck.
Any idea?
Mike

big-mike
November 11th, 2014, 09:34
The "water" option in the Fixer is also greyed out after a fresh installation.
Can somebody please send me the default "OceanHeight" textures?
Mike

big-mike
November 12th, 2014, 07:25
Solved,have my water back,installed the the new version of the Fixer and let rebuild the shaders.
Mike