PDA

View Full Version : Mr E chokes on a reality pill

wombat666
November 3rd, 2014, 21:06
Maurice Hamilton is one of the better journos who has covered Motorsport for at least 30+ years, IIRC he was writing for 'Autosport' when I began subscribing to it around 1980 in the form of a weekly 'real' magazine.
Cost a fortune for the airmail subscription but it almost always arrived on a Friday, one day after UK publication.
I still subscribe to this day, despite the convenience the 'Virtual Autosport' is just not the same as the paper version, however, the content from the columnists remains incisive.
This article from his blog makes for very interesting reading and it gives one pause for thought, Bernie at 84, should he have any say in F1 and the running of it and is he starting to show signs of losing the plot?

I don't know about you but it seems to me that the real world has finally caught up with Bernie Ecclestone.

In one or two interviews at the weekend, his appearance and silly answers made him appear a man under siege

and all of his 84 years. A more telling line came in a more sensible chat with Ian Parkes of the Press

Association.

"In the old days," said Ecclestone, "the people sitting around a table would be the guys who could say yes or no.

They would ask me to sort it out and it would be sorted. But none of the modern guys can agree anything, even

if they wanted to. They all have to report back to somebody."

The surprise is that this appears to surprise Bernie. It's as if he hasn't moved on from the 1970s and '80s when

he, as owner of Brabham, would sit round a table with the likes of Ken Tyrrell (Tyrrell), Colin Chapman (Lotus),

Frank Williams (Williams), Max Mosley (March) and Teddy Mayer (McLaren) and it would work exactly as he

describes.

The only person in the room not owning their respective sweet shop would be the man from Maranello, who

would have to excuse himself and get on the phone to Enzo Ferrari. Usually, though, Mr. Ferrari was ahead of

the game, having privately talked it through beforehand with Bernie.

Ferrari was always the player you wanted on side. That much doesn't appear to have changed even if it's for

reasons of misguided homage to a declining name rather than winning the clout of a crafty dictator. More often

than not Bernie and Enzo, motor traders both, sang from the same hymn sheet. The difficulty Ecclestone now

faces is that the hymn book has become a corporate gilt-edge production in which his hand-written inserts

have no place.

He summed that up with the rather curious quote: "If the company belonged to me, I would have done things in

a different way. That's because it would have been my money I was dealing with, but I work for people who are

in the business to make money." Again, it appears this is either a total shock or he didn't think it mattered.

Well it does now. Not before time, Sauber and at least one representative from Force India have started

shouting in public about being kept in the dark by Mr. E and the five more privileged teams. Marussia had

complained quietly in the past but, being new boys and back-markers, no one paid the slightest bit of

attention. The back of the grid has now crept forward to snare bigger names with the 'nobody gives a toss who's

last' label and, understandably, they're not happy about the prospect of being next to fall off the end. Again,

Ecclestone seems startled by such insubordination in the ranks.

In some respects, these teams have only themselves to blame for remaining quiet for too long. Tyrrell spent

many of his later years in the rear quarter of the grid. He didn't feel the need to complain in public about his

plight because he had made a hell of a noise when seated around that table with Bernie and the rest of the

boys.

At least, for better or worse, everyone knew where they stood. The impression you have now is that no one has

the first idea what's going on. Least of all the man attempting to give out the hymn books.

:pop4: